Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 06:59 PM

Default Jump to HD????

What's the lowest amount someone would have to spend to make the jump to HD? Could I just buy a hd accel card off ebay pop it in my pc and buy 7.4 hd software? Or is it a lil more than that. Also could I still use my 002 as a controller? I'm done with LE just exploring my options....
Old 11-18-2007, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Jump to HD????

Quote:
What's the lowest amount someone would have to spend to make the jump to HD?
~$3000-$4000

Quote:
Could I just buy a hd accel card off ebay pop it in my pc and buy 7.4 hd software?
You'll need a HD "Core" card.

Quote:
Also could I still use my 002 as a controller?
I do not believe so.

Quote:
I'm done with LE just exploring my options....
Get a faster computer and save yourself thousands of dollars in outdated proprietary hardware, software, a PCI slot, and retain the ability to use your control surface? Unless you need more I/O, in which case you could always go with a RME HDSP 96/52 and Nuendo or countless other pieces of pro-sumer hardware (non-Digi...they don't make anything with more than 8 channels of ADAT.)
Old 11-18-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
What's the lowest amount someone would have to spend to make the jump to HD? Could I just buy a hd accel card off ebay pop it in my pc and buy 7.4 hd software? Or is it a lil more than that. Also could I still use my 002 as a controller? I'm done with LE just exploring my options....
Almost $10,000 used. You'll need the Core Card and I/O box. Even the cheapest 96 I/O will only be 8 in/8 out. Oh, and then you'll need the Midi I/O if you have any Midi stuff. Then there is the computer in which you cant just use any old thing. Then you'll quickly realize, other than some software only features, that a current Quad running Native PT can put HD 1 to shame(even put HD 7 to shame as far as DSP power goes). And you can forget about using PDC with the core card alone in a large mix. Those DSP chips on the core card will be used up in seconds.

Then there is H/W buffer latency. If you do very large Midi productions and are very picky about feel etc, a H/W buffer of 128(as low as HD will go) might drive you bonkers if you are use to using a H/W Buffer of 64 in your 002.

Really, really, really research before you make the purchase.

Now having said that, a few of us have built HD Hybrid rigs using just 1 core card and a powerful Quad to handle all the plug-ins via RTAS but, I myself bailed on that after using and testing it. Native is very powerful, and very cheap. It will really depend on your needs.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-18-2007, 09:28 PM

I have no complaints about my HD 3 accel system. I landed a deal though on it. Cards and 192 for 9,000 and some change. I then put alot more into my MIX rig as I needed the I/O. Nuendo or not, I am a Pro Tools guy, have used them all and dig Pro Tools the best for workflow. I invested in good converters (Apogee DA-16X (summing), ROsetta 800's and my 192. All my analog is tied into it as a patchless system so I can call up a hardware 1176 like that as a insert. Works great and makes life easy. I can patch if I want as I used a TT Dsub to Dsub bay from Audio Solutions. Great stuff. It is really what you need ya know. I aso use my HD rig on a Quad system so power with the limited RTAS stuff I have is not an issue at all either. TDM to my ears sounds better though and analog summing via API is fantastic.

Just what you need really so like they said, think about it and then do what you think is correct to fit your needs.

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 11-18-2007, 09:31 PM

Doc, how's that Rosetta 800 treating you by the way? I have my eye on one.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-19-2007, 06:22 AM

Both are fine. I have a 192 version and a 96 version. Never go over 96, so it is great. When I move here in a few weeks into my new house and new LARGER studio space (ye I will be tracking agin, but this time with views to Pikes Peak) I will take the Apogees and update them with the new patch. Pain in the butt as you take off the chasis and do a midi update via USB.

They work great though and I will be getting another sometime down the line.

Big thing that I am looking into possibly for tracking is the API 1608 console. Sell off the API line mixers and the 7800. Use the 1608 for tracking and buy a Apogee AD-16X. Use that to go into Pro Tools, then shoot it back out via the DA-16X back to the board for 16 channels of eq, etc and sum back intoo Pro Tools the same way, but use the board to track and mix. I have 8 other channels of pre's that I can use if I need 24 channels and they are hardwired into the bay so I patch and go.

That would be sick and in the long run save me the hassle of buying alot more EQ and pre.

Just my dream... ;-)

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 11-20-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Then you'll quickly realize, other than some software only features, that a current Quad running Native PT can put HD 1 to shame(even put HD 7 to shame as far as DSP power goes).
Shane
Where can I purchase such a quad? Do you have any recomendations on specs?
Old 11-20-2007, 04:48 PM

Right here.

Also, the new Intel Penryn has just been released which is something to look at.

Shane