Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2004, 10:44 AM

Default Latency Compensation Plug-in?? When??

Now I don’t really make a big deal out of plug-in latency compensation because most of the plug-ins I use don’t cause or cause very little latency. But there are a few plug-ins that I really like to use that do cause an audible amount of latency (r-comp, vintage warmer, etc..) I was wondering, why someone can’t make a latency compensation plug-in for Pro Tools LE? I know that the TC and UA card come with one for them, but why isn’t there one for the people not using those cards?
Old 11-29-2004, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Latency Compensation Plug-in?? When??

There is, it's called "delay"...apply it to any tracks with zero latency.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:16 AM

Obviously you can use a delay, but does that offer good audio quality, or is ther a delay that you would recommend that would just delay the source with no color added? Do you know of a delay that gives you delay time in samples, so you could directly use the info pro tools tells you for plug-in delay and not have to bust out your calculator for every plug-in you added?
Old 11-29-2004, 11:24 AM

Yep...the digirack delay...it's pretty much identical to what the other companies have going on...except that their delay amounts are fixed. Waves used to have something similar back in the day...but eventually quit including them as nudging is just as easy if not easier and more daw's were offereing delay comp builtin.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:29 AM

Sorry, my bad...time adjuster (tdm only) is the delay plugin that lets you type in samples. Seriosly though, nudging by a fixed value is easier than placing a zillion plugins across all over your tracks.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:31 AM

Cool, I think I'll give it a go. I get frustrated nudging tracks when I decide that I want to change a plug-in after I've nudged the uneffected tracks. Maybe I'll just use the bus method, set up one mono, and one stereo bus for delay compensation and take all uneffected stuff through those. That's when I start to worry about the audio quality of the delay though, when you take lots of things through it.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:33 AM

anything less than full automatic delay compensation is pretty much a waste of time.

ADC = best
nudging tracks = less than best
delay plug on each channel = worst by far
Old 11-29-2004, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Cool, I think I'll give it a go. I get frustrated nudging tracks when I decide that I want to change a plug-in after I've nudged the uneffected tracks. Maybe I'll just use the bus method, set up one mono, and one stereo bus for delay compensation and take all uneffected stuff through those. That's when I start to worry about the audio quality of the delay though, when you take lots of things through it.
Just duplicate the playlist before nudging.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Just duplicate the playlist before nudging
Excellent!!