Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 05-28-2004, 12:41 PM

Default Re: are there really as less pc/TDM-users out ther

im about to get a new computer. im torn between mac and pc lol..... f its a pc its a thlon.if tis a mac its a dualie. damn you people ;p

any suggestions, and i will be going tdm soon after..i just want a lot of native support too (i hear the athlons are btter?!?)
Old 05-28-2004, 04:17 PM

Default Re: MAC being more media driven

Quote:

The one thing people forget about PC's is that they are possibly the most complex things on earth. Woe betide you if anything should gow wrong on a PC. If you dont run anything else but Pro Tools, dont go on the net and dont install any programs that your not 100% sure work well. XP is cool. Its not flashy and its user experience does not match Mac OS X. But if the software (i.e Pro Tools) doesnt take advantage of Mac OS X's special features then there isnt any difference in XP over Mac (bar a few amazing plugins!)

However if you are like 90% of people in the world who buy a personal computer because of all the VARIED stuff it does which involves installing different software, then your stuffed with XP.
Because over time it will get slower, and slower and slower as the OS keeps track (or tries to) of half written registry entries etc.. As your computer gets attacked by the latest Spyware, trojan, Worm etc.. you will eventually do what every PC support dept suggests to everybody with a problem. REINSTALL XP!!

Thats the damn problem with the thing. There is no reliable way to sort out a big problem in XP because the registry is a free for all mush of crap that is too hard to fix. You have to reinstall to get your machine back. Some people have just got used to that way of life and more power to them, but I'm presonally sick of it. I dont know any hardcore pc user that "trusts" their PC. They all have tons of backup disks so they can do the innevitable reinstall when neccessary. In fact its become a regular feature of life on a PC. People have forgotten that it never used to be like that.

PC users are like drag car racers that spend more time under the bonnet than driving the damn things. I know cos I've been forced into it my self, and I really cant be bothered with it anymore.

Thats why when I get some more dough, I'm going back to Mac.

P.S. (Isnt the expose thing amazing!)

Hi Nice to meet you my name is James. Now you have meet another person that is a happy pc user. I have always used protools on pc. I have used other studios and friends mac based protools systems and have seen alot more problems with the macs then my pc based system. I remember being at a studio and having the mac crash a few times, the eng. was like "it happens often you know computers". I said no I dont know what you are talking about, my system never crashes. I am running an hd accel system with an averege of about 75 audio tracks at 24/96, 10 hours a day with lots of plugins. While connected to the internet and have had no problems at all. Most people are going to crap all over pcs, because its the "politically correct" thing to do in the recording industry. You are not considered a real studio if you dont have a mac, Thats why alot of people stick to macs. That is changing, and I bet it will be alot different in about five years. "As for always under the hood fixing the machine". I have yet to fix my machine, Not any problems to report of. As for slowing down my systems is just as fast and reliable as the day I built it(2 years ago). When I built the hd system (money had nothing to do with my final choice) I asked Digi if I should purchase a mac and they said no, if your are happy with your pc then there is no reason to change sytems. Maybe im lucky but I havent had any problems, and wouldnt use a mac sytem even if it was given to me free
Big Ben
Control 24
Old 05-28-2004, 05:48 PM

In Digidesign's own words: "there’s no better way to make music than on a Mac®. "

Old 05-28-2004, 06:09 PM

Quote:

Welcome back Al....You've made a wise decision!!
Old 05-28-2004, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:

The one thing people forget about PC's is that they are possibly the most complex things on earth. Woe betide you if anything should gow wrong on a PC. If you dont run anything else but Pro Tools, dont go on the net and dont install any programs that your not 100% sure work well. XP is cool. Its not flashy and its user experience does not match Mac OS X. But if the software (i.e Pro Tools) doesnt take advantage of Mac OS X's special features then there isnt any difference in XP over Mac (bar a few amazing plugins!)

However if you are like 90% of people in the world who buy a personal computer because of all the VARIED stuff it does which involves installing different software, then your stuffed with XP.
Because over time it will get slower, and slower and slower as the OS keeps track (or tries to) of half written registry entries etc.. As your computer gets attacked by the latest Spyware, trojan, Worm etc.. you will eventually do what every PC support dept suggests to everybody with a problem. REINSTALL XP!!

Thats the damn problem with the thing. There is no reliable way to sort out a big problem in XP because the registry is a free for all mush of crap that is too hard to fix. You have to reinstall to get your machine back. Some people have just got used to that way of life and more power to them, but I'm presonally sick of it. I dont know any hardcore pc user that "trusts" their PC. They all have tons of backup disks so they can do the innevitable reinstall when neccessary. In fact its become a regular feature of life on a PC. People have forgotten that it never used to be like that.

PC users are like drag car racers that spend more time under the bonnet than driving the damn things. I know cos I've been forced into it my self, and I really cant be bothered with it anymore.

Hi Nice to meet you my name is James. Now you have meet another person that is a happy pc user. I have always used protools on pc. I have used other studios and friends mac based protools systems and have seen alot more problems with the macs then my pc based system. I remember being at a studio and having the mac crash a few times, the eng. was like "it happens often you know computers". I said no I dont know what you are talking about, my system never crashes. I am running an hd accel system with an averege of about 75 audio tracks at 24/96, 10 hours a day with lots of plugins. While connected to the internet and have had no problems at all. Most people are going to crap all over pcs, because its the "politically correct" thing to do in the recording industry. You are not considered a real studio if you dont have a mac, Thats why alot of people stick to macs. That is changing, and I bet it will be alot different in about five years. "As for always under the hood fixing the machine". I have yet to fix my machine, Not any problems to report of. As for slowing down my systems is just as fast and reliable as the day I built it(2 years ago). When I built the hd system (money had nothing to do with my final choice) I asked Digi if I should purchase a mac and they said no, if your are happy with your pc then there is no reason to change sytems. Maybe im lucky but I havent had any problems, and wouldnt use a mac sytem even if it was given to me free
id use one for free...wait....is called ebay ;p
Old 05-31-2004, 12:31 PM

Quote:
In Digidesign's own words: "there’s no better way to make music than on a Mac®. "

"There is no better way to make music then from your heart and soul."

The kind of computer its made on is the least important

Funny Digi didnt give me the whole mac is the better way to make music speach. maybe times are changing
Big Ben
Control 24
Old 06-29-2004, 09:25 AM

I use a Mac in the studio and it has the typical Mac problems. Crashes, lack of speed, Lack of available options and the "you just can't do that, cause they ain't made it yet issue.

On a PC there are options. If Company 1 doesn't make a product that works for what you want, Company 2 does. I use a PC at my other studio it runs 24/7 it get's shut down when a thunderstorm is moving in and no one will be there if there's a problem but otherwise it runs Protools for audio Several Video editing applications, several Graphic and compositing programs even a CD application.
Web, e-mail what else do you want it will crash once or twice a year, it doesn't slow down other than in a perceptual manner. and it works. it always works. Whether I'm mixing tracks for a band or doing a car commercial for TV it always works and if the application I normally use to do something doesn't allow me to do what the client wants. I simply use a different application. and move on. Try that on a Mac! But maybe you just aren't that creative.

If I could do it with a trash can I would. It's about what gives me the widest choice and the most freedom to create music and Picture.