Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2017, 02:42 PM

Default PT12 does not list AkaiPro MPC Essentials plugin

So I just bought the Akai MPD226 and everything appears to have installed correctly. The standalone software (MPC Essentials) works great, but for workflow sake and ease of use, I want to use the software as a plugin.

How do I get Protools to recognize MPCessentials as an instrument? Is it considered a third party plug? I've checked the folder you would find all rest of my plugins HD>Library..blah blah blah..Avid>Plugins and it is there so why is it not showing?

Btw: my MPD is synced to Protools so no issues on the midi end? Maybe. I don't know. lol I know the transport works

Systems & Hardware:

macOS 10.12 Sierra
Protools 12.7
MPD226
MPC Essentials

Thank you for your help, opinions, questions and suggestions
Old 03-31-2017, 06:01 PM

Default Re: PT12 does not list AkaiPro MPC Essentials plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamdoc7 View Post
So I just bought the Akai MPD226 and everything appears to have installed correctly. The standalone software (MPC Essentials) works great, but for workflow sake and ease of use, I want to use the software as a plugin.

How do I get Protools to recognize MPCessentials as an instrument? Is it considered a third party plug? I've checked the folder you would find all rest of my plugins HD>Library..blah blah blah..Avid>Plugins and it is there so why is it not showing?

Btw: my MPD is synced to Protools so no issues on the midi end? Maybe. I don't know. lol I know the transport works

Systems & Hardware:

macOS 10.12 Sierra
Protools 12.7
MPD226
MPC Essentials

Thank you for your help, opinions, questions and suggestions
i had MPC Studio for awhile and it always showed as MPC Studio in the plugins folder .. maybe you need to re-install something from AKAI for the AAX Plugin .. does it show in any of the VST or Audio Unit Plugin Folders ??

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 04-01-2017, 11:06 AM

Hi jamdoc7,

I have used my MPD226 with PT11.3.x and 12.7 in WIN7 64bit setup.

I can get the pads to play thru my VIs, but I have never had any luck getting it to work as a MIDI controller.

Are you stating that you can use the transport buttons on your MPD226 to control the PT transport?

Could you share your settings and how you configured PT to work with the MPD226?

Thanks,
Danny V.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:14 PM

Are these MPC VI AAX64 or just VST/AU ?

Can't find a AAX version on their website? If you haven't installed an AAX version it won't popup in PT11/12 but you can use a wrapper like Bluecat MB7 or Patchworks.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-02-2017, 03:33 AM

Hi jamdoc7,

I recently acquired an MPD218 (similar to your MPD226), primarily for use with VIs such as EasyDrummer, etc. but also to explore different workflows using MPC Essentials ... thus a 'toe in the water' before going for something with more features.

To answer your question: MPC Essentials DOES work as a plugin with Pro Tools 12.7 + latest Sierra, although there is no integration with the knobs/buttons on the MPD unit itself - it appears that AKAI withhold this functionality for their higher-end products so the workflow requires constant mouse interaction. Your hardware will thus essentially be relegated to simple drum pad duty - I guess any MIDI pads would work + the MPD knobs could be assigned to other plugins, in the normal way.

The application/plugin itself appears to be fine for my purposes i.e. simple sampling/playback (probably too basic for serious MPC/Maschine types!) ... but misses the opportunity to function as an 'instrument' in the absence of the MPD's knobs, etc. However, it should appear as an 'Instrument' plugin - it wasn't 'right first time' (like the countless other plugins in my collection) but you should probably contact their support if it doesn't show up as I don't remember how I got this to work beyond restarting Pro Tools several times - sorry! :)

In summary, I found myself dealing with Akai support on so many fronts (various website problems/delays over the Christmas holiday period evidently causing registration issues and backlogs with support tickets, but also issues with bundled plugins, uninstalling, etc.) that I'd forgotten about this until your post.

They have escalated and tried hard to resolve but not a great experience overall as I still have issues outstanding ... although to be fair, just checked and the 'ball was in my court' (felt I'd spent far too much time on this already)!

Good luck! :)