Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 04-25-2018, 06:58 PM

Default Any way to run PT11 on Windows 7?

The company I work for asked me to check our plug-ins in ProTools 11 on windows 7. Unfortunately I'm not even able to run ProTools in this setup because every time I launch PT, it says "Impossible to record audio because the Audio Input is not active. Open the ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Setup dialog... etc." Then when I get into a session and try to start playback, it just shows "Pause" and the play button flashes and it won't play.

The computer is a Dell Precision, 8 gigs, a few years old... PT runs fine on the Win8 and Win10 partitions, so I don't think the hardware specs are the issue anyway. It's just Win7 that's the problem. I know Win7 isn't exactly the best OS for running DAWs, but there's gotta be a way to make this work, right?

I don't think that weird "Full duplex" message is appropriate to my setup, but I did manage to find that app, which is apparently a Steinberg thing, and I tried every possible setting with no luck. I've also gone through every playback engine listed in the Playback Engine dropdown, I've uninstalled ASIO, I've tried several different audio interfaces including the built in headphone jack, and I've reinstalled the drivers for the audio interfaces. It still won't play when I press Play.

On my last couple dozen attempts, it's given me this error message: "Your audio device is configured with an unsupported audio buffer size. Please select... etc etc." This is also not an appropriate warning, as my buffer is set to 1024. It usually crashes or hardlocks after giving this prompt, but when I do manage to get to the Playback Engine, there is no dropdown list where the H/W buffer list should be.

This has been such an ordeal, even by Windows standards
Old 04-25-2018, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Any way to run PT11 on Windows 7?

What audio interface are you using? The onboard? Install Asio4all and select that in Setup/Playback Engine
Old 04-25-2018, 09:52 PM

Default Any way to run PT11 on Windows 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyseanbell View Post
It's just Win7 that's the problem. I know Win7 isn't exactly the best OS for running DAWs, but there's gotta be a way to make this work, right?

Nothing wrong with Win7 for daws.

Compatibility charts shows it’s cool
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart

Have you done these?
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...-optimization/

How about this?
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...s-preferences/

As andrei said you have to install the driver for your interface and if your not using an interface then it’s ASIO or nothing

Set windows sounds in the control panel to use your computers speakers and not the interface (if your using one)
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:51 AM

As YYR123 says, nothing wrong with Win7. I too have a Dell Precision workstation and have run all PT versions from 11 up to 2018.4 under Win7. So I would also suspect your interface setup.
As to the play button flashing without playback, is PT set to wait for a midi note, or is the Online button in the transport bar set to on, so it is waiting for incoming timecode?
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 04-26-2018, 01:41 PM

If Windows is trying to use the same IO as Pro Tools, that can be an issue. Set Windows to not use anything as its "Default Playback Device" and see if that helps Pro Tools to work. While its SUPPOSED to fine to run PT without a separate interface, the reality is, your life will be much easier if you do run a dedicated interface for Pro Tools(and leave the on-board sound card to be the "Default Playback Device" for Windows audio

And yes, Windows 7 is fine with PT11

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-26-2018, 04:55 PM

When you say you installed "ASIO" do you mean www.asio4all.com or something else? You need the asio4all free driver if you aren't using a dedicated interface.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————