Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 09-15-2017, 05:53 PM

Default The Great Confusion: installing PT 11 AIR packages or AIR PT 12 ?

I am reinstalling all my system - on fresh OSX 10.11.6

Rather than installing my PT 11 ''Perpetual Licence'', I chosed to install my PT 12.8.x yearly subscription.

However, I am not paying for the annual Plug-In subscription.

In my Products page, I see:
- AIR Creative Collection 11.3.1 (under Pro Tools Legacy) (where I also have PT 11.3.2 installer).
- AIR Instruments Bundle 12.0 installer,

and under PT - No Contract:
- Air Creative Collection 11.1 installer

So, assuming I do not have a subscription for the annual plug-in, and I do not intend to add it in the future: can I / should I install the first one under PT 12.8.1 ?

Or would I install the one for PT 12 (in other words, is it linked to an annual subscription ?)

Thanks,
Rob
Old 09-16-2017, 12:10 AM

Default Re: The Great Confusion: installing PT 11 AIR packages or AIR PT 12 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanstrad View Post
I chosed to install my PT 12.8.x yearly subscription.

However, I am not paying for the annual Plug-In subscription.
As you chose to install your PT 12.8.x yearly subscription – this is what you get (without the Support Plan):

Pro Tools 12.8.1 includes
AIR Instruments Bundle 12.0 Installer (Mac) 1.06 GB - this includes:
AIR Mini Grand, Boom, Structure Free, DB-33, Vacuum

Plus:
Xpand II 12.0 Installer (Mac) 1.12 GB
AIR Xpand II

Plus:
AIR Effects Bundle 12.0 Installer (Mac) 123.66 MB - this includes:
AIR Chorus
AIR Ensemble
AIR Flanger
AIR Multi-Chorus
AIR Phaser
AIR Reverb
AIR Non-LinearReverb
AIR SpringReverb
AIR Multi-Delay
AIR DynamicDelay
AIR FrequencyShifter
AIR StereoWidth
AIR Distortion
AIR Fuzz-Wah
AIR Lo-Fi
AIR Enhancer
AIR KillEQ
AIR VintageFilter
AIR FilterGate
AIR Talkbox

Quote:
I do not have a subscription for the annual plug-in, and I do not intend to add it in the future
The Support Plan (which you don’t have) includes this bonus plug-in bundle:
Space convolution reverb plug-in
16 stompbox-style effect plug-ins:
BBD Delay
Black Op Distortion
Black Shiny Wah
Black Spring
C1 Chorus-Vibrato
DC Distortion
Flanger
Gray Compressor
Green JRC Overdrive
Orange Phaser
Roto Speaker
Studio Reverb
Tape Echo
Tri-Knob Fuzz
Vibe Phaser
White Boost

In short - your PT12 subscription includes the AIR Instruments and FX plug-ins. You can renew your PT12 subscription (without the bonus plug-ins) when it's due - or you can choose to install your PT11 (Perpetual) - with its appropriate AIR installers.

Here's some more info on the Avid plug-in bundles - which are a different deal from the bonus plug-ins:
http://www.avidblogs.com/new-plug-in...tools-hd-12-2/

Hope this helps!

Last edited by unkJE; 09-16-2017 at 05:51 PM. Reason: more info on the Avid plug-in bundles - which are a different deal from the bonus plug-ins
Old 09-16-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
As you chose to install your PT 12.8.x yearly subscription – this is what you get (without the Support Plan):

Plus:
Xpand II 12.0 Installer (Mac) 1.12 GB
AIR Xpand II
Hope this helps!
unkJE thank you very much, this is much clearer indeed.

One point though: in the past, I had purchased XPand2! (guess it was not part of the bundle then), and now I did not realize it was in this PT12 package and reinstalled it. Someone (you ?) pointed to use a link to request for an activation number (as it is now ''iLokable'' and the activation code I have no longer work... That page states I should get a code within 10 minutes but I tried it twice and never got it... ) Should I simply reinstall this version here on top ? - thing is: I am also using it under Cubase.... If I install the version that comes with PT12 would I still see it under Cubase ?
Old 09-16-2017, 05:41 PM

VST version for Cubase:
Quote:
If I install the version that comes with PT12 would I still see it under Cubase ?
No - you"ll need the VST version for Cubase.
As you made a separate XPand2! purchase, it probably includes the VST version.

Quote:
.... I had purchased XPand2! (guess it was not part of the bundle then) .... I should get a code within 10 minutes but I tried it twice and never got it... )
When you applied for a Promocode (new Authorization) - check your past emails etc – make sure you quoted the email address used at the time of this single XPand2! purchase - (XPand!2 was also sold separately for US$1 from Plugin Boutique and AudioDeluxe – you may not have purchased XPand2! directly from Air Music Technology).

If you check and find you were actually using the correct email address (which did not work) - please email Simon Bangs from inMusic Brands:
[email protected]
Simon is excellent at sorting things out quickly.

AAX version for Pro Tools:

Use the Xpand II 12.0 Installer (Mac) 1.12 GB in your Avid account.

Last edited by unkJE; 09-16-2017 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Let us know how you go.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:50 PM

Thanks again ! I have found that email and sent it to Simon - will let you know how things go. Fortunately, I have both purchases on that order (The Riser and XPand2) and as I had no issue reinstalling and reactivating The Riser with the code in there, that confirms these were the codes I received.

Many thanks for your precious assistance.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
VST version for Cubase:

No - you"ll need the VST version for Cubase.
As you made a separate XPand2! purchase, it probably includes the VST version.

When you applied for a Promocode (new Authorization) - check your past emails etc – make sure you quoted the email address used at the time of this single XPand2! purchase - (XPand!2 was also sold separately for US$1 from Plugin Boutique and AudioDeluxe – you may not have purchased XPand2! directly from Air Music Technology).

If you check and find you were actually using the correct email address (which did not work) - please email Simon Bangs from inMusic Brands:
[email protected]
Simon is excellent at sorting things out quickly.

AAX version for Pro Tools:

Use the Xpand II 12.0 Installer (Mac) 1.12 GB in your Avid account.
Hi just to recap: I got an activation code from AIR, reinstalled XPand2!, activation is succesful in iLok, (if I try to launch their XPand2 Authorizer it tells me that activation was succesful... HOWEVER:

- launching a project that contains XPand tracks (either in Cubase or Pro Tools 12.8.1) it tells me the plug-in is not present in plug-in folder !

- I installed XPand2! simply double-clicking, went with the default installation...). Same as I did with The Riser (I have no issue at all with The Riser)...

If I launch the project (okaying that I do not have these plug-ins), if I try to go to that track and click on the XPand2! insert in PT, I still get that message...
Old 09-19-2017, 04:48 PM

Perhaps you are installing the wrong plug-in format? The AAX version of XPand!2 is included with Pro Tools. Click on your Pro Tools Annual Upgrade Plan in my.avid.com/products, then click Show next to Product Details and Download Links, then click the Xpand II 12.0 Installer (Mac) 1.12 GB link to download it.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:15 PM

Well i had purchased that before it was included. It should make it available, and available on both PT and Cubase... it used to work on. Orh before i clean installed everything (os x included)
Old 09-19-2017, 05:18 PM

Go to Pro Tools>Setup>Preferences>Operation>User Library
Set the Root:
C:\Users\User Name\Documents\Pro Tools\

In Windows:
The Default Location for the Xpand!2 Presets Folder is in the 32-bit Program Files:
C:\Program Files (x86)\AIR Music Technology\Xpand!2\Presets

Copy the Presets Folder and place it in: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings

Change Folder’s name from Presets to Xpand!2

User Presets:
Create a Folder in
C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\Xpand!2
for your User Presets and name it: 30 User
Check to see if you’ve also got a (Creative Collection) Xpand2 Folder (Xpand2 - without the exclamation mark).
If so, you can also transfer your Xpand2 User Presets to your 30 User Folder.

Choosing Xpand2 Content Location (on installing, I placed it on my Samples drive) - don't double-click on the Xpand2 Folder - just a single-click will reveal the BIG File.

If you want to track down plug-in settings after the fact, it is possible to use the Mac Finder or Windows Explorer to move and copy the plug-in settings files. The Session Plug-ins Setting folder is easy to track down, as it will be in a folder called Plug-in Settings inside your session folder, along with Audio Files, Session File Backups, and so on. The Root Plug-ins Settings folder is harder to find. On a Mac in Pro Tools 10 and below, it is Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-in Settings. Within this folder, each plug-in has its own subfolder. On Windows machines, the location is C:/Program Files/Common Files/Digidesign/DAE/Plug-in Settings, and again, each plug-in has its own folder.

Last edited by unkJE; 07-04-2021 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Well i had purchased that before it was included. It should make it available, and available on both PT and Cubase... it used to work on. Orh before i clean installed everything (os x included)
Xpand was actually available with Pro Tools (as an RTAS plug-in) before AIR started selling it in other formats.

It's not part of the Plug-ins plan, and doesn't need an iLok license. It's included with Pro Tools so you can install the 12.0 (AAX) version from your Pro Tools Annual Upgrade Plan. (Please see my previous post.)

Quote:
...launching a project that contains XPand tracks (either in Cubase or Pro Tools 12.8.1) it tells me the plug-in is not present in plug-in folder...
Pro Tools and Cubase use different plug-in formats. Please install the AAX version for Pro Tools.