Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2017, 05:56 PM

Default Is the Import Audio dialog any better, post 12.4(???)

Hey all,

(Recent Windows convert here, so apologies if any of this sounds like trivial whining - I really don't mean for it to...)

I've written before of my dislike for the Import Audio dialog (CTRL+SHFT+I) under Windows, as I find it to be considerably less fluid and intuitive than it is under MacOS. I'm assuming it's an OS related thing, as I can't imagine Avid would purposefully design it to look and behave this different from the Mac version if they didn't have to, but in any event...

I seem to remember someone (Guitardom, maybe?) replying that they weren't seeing all the issues I was under a later version (post 12.4) of Pro Tools, and I'm just looking for confirmation on this.

Is the IA dialog any better in later versions of PT, or is it the same? I realize that my idea of 'better' may differ from yours, and I do seem to be in the minority here, but I figured I'd ask.

My issues specifically, in case anyone is interested, are:

The IA window itself is absolutely not resizable. Not on my system anyway, and I've since reinstalled the program several times, so it's no glitch.

The program seems to (perhaps) randomly choose a folder to display when I fire up the dialog, and it's never someplace I want to be, or have been. Sometimes it's the audio files folder of the session I'm working on, sometimes it's a plugin settings folder, sometimes it's a folder that has nothing to do with music at all. I realize I can click on 'folders' up top, and it'll display a list of recently visited folders, but why not just open to the one where I last was (like it does on Mac)?

None of the samples autoplay when I scroll up or down with the arrow keys, like they do on MacOS, and there's no setting to change that. You have to hit the spacebar for every preview.

There doesn't seem to be a way to make sure the files ever 'automatically' copy on import, regardless of whether or not I have that checked in prefs... which is fine, I guess, as you have to actually make sure to click the 'convert' button - and not the 'add' button, which is always available regardless - if you want to copy a file to the queue. Hitting 'enter' makes PT think you're done choosing stuff to import and moves to the next screen. There's essentially no way to make sure you can't accidentally add, instead of copy. This isn't the case under MacOS.

I'd love for some (or all) of this to be operator error, but at this point, I don't know that it is.

In any case, hit me with the solution(s) if there are any, because I'm out of ideas.

Thanks guys.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 06-15-2017, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Is the Import Audio dialog any better, post 12.4(???)

Define "better"? For me, it seems to work the same as always

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-15-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Define "better"? For me, it seems to work the same as always
Have any of the issues I mentioned been addressed, or is it the same as it is in 12.4?
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 09-10-2017, 01:12 PM

I have the same question. (I usually hate it when someone says this in forums, lol, but i have no choice.)

My main issue is: why doesn't the import audio dialogue automatically go to the last folder visited?? (Even the "go to last folder visited" only works when you are already in the dialogue and have previously selected a folder.)

Besides this particular issue, I have been enjoying PT on Windows 10.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epmi View Post
I have the same question. (I usually hate it when someone says this in forums, lol, but i have no choice.)

My main issue is: why doesn't the import audio dialogue automatically go to the last folder visited?? (Even the "go to last folder visited" only works when you are already in the dialogue and have previously selected a folder.)

Besides this particular issue, I have been enjoying PT on Windows 10.
Yeah, I mentioned that up top as being one of my big issues with it.

For instance, I created a new session just now (from a template), and fired up the Import Audio dialog, and... It was set to the system32 folder... which I'm never, ever in.

Seems sort of random, as to where it chooses to open up. I'm beginning to think it's a Win 10 thing, to a degree.

We appear to be a small minority though, given the lack of response here. (Sad face)
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey