Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2009, 09:29 PM

Default Low Latency - Sound Card/Audio Interface Questions

Hello All,

I seem to be having issues finding information about having a sound card and an audio interface? I'm assuming because it's probably stupid. But, my issue is:

I want to record with low latency, so that when I record with plugins such as amplitube I can hear it's effect in real time with no/low latency (so it doesn't throw me off).

I'm considering purchasing my friend's pro tools M-powered and having it upgraded.
So, what I'll be using in the future is:
- Pro Tools M-Powered 7.1 - 8.0
- Fast Track Pro
- HP a450n (computer)
- 1.5g ram
- Intel Pentium 4
3.0 GHz Processor

If anybody could fill me in as to how to acheive low latency with this type of setup, that would fantastic. Sometime (hopefully this year) when I have the money, I would like to purchase a new computer for recording. Thank you for your time.

-Rodge

*update*
I am also considering upgrading my interface to a Profire 2626 - I don't know how much this changes.
Once again, Thank you.

Last edited by Rodge A; 02-09-2009 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Forgot a detail
Old 02-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Avid

Default Re: Low Latency - Sound Card/Audio Interface Questions

If you want to record with plug-ins at low latency, M-Powered may not be the way to go, since currently it's buffer only goes to 128 at the lowest. It *may* be enough, but most people would consider a 64 sample buffer to be where playability becomes usable.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:06 AM

I attempted to find information about programs that have a 64 sample buffer, but, found no factual information - only speculation. I was wondering if you could clarify which digidesign products I could achieve a 64 sample buffer with? It would greatly appreciated, thank you.

-Rodge
Old 02-12-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodge a View Post
i attempted to find information about programs that have a 64 sample buffer, but, found no factual information - only speculation. I was wondering if you could clarify which digidesign products i could achieve a 64 sample buffer with? It would greatly appreciated, thank you.

-rodge
002, 003

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-12-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
002, 003
I believe that the Mbox2 Pro would be added to that list, too. My friend runs his at 64 while tracking with Superior 2. Basically, the Digi firewire interfaces.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrummerJ View Post
I believe that the Mbox2 Pro would be added to that list, too. My friend runs his at 64 while tracking with Superior 2. Basically, the Digi firewire interfaces.
Why do I never mention that?

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-15-2009, 12:46 PM

I still really like the idea of using M-Powered (due to it's more extensive choices of interfaces) But I'm a little scared that the 128 won't be enough. Is anyone here experienced with 128 versus 64 sample buffer? Or is there somewhere that I can hear a soundclip comparison? Any help would great.

A big reason for me wanting to use M-Powered is mainly because of my option to use the Profire 2626. I really like the idea of that interface and I have heard great things about it. But, if I can't acheive Low Latency then I don't want much to do with it. I'm assuming I could get the 003 rack for same amount of inserts. But, without the good preamps - I see that 003 + factory comes with good preamps - but their both so expensive. On top of all of this, I need to buy a new computer. So, I know I'll at least be spending around 2,000 USD all together (over time). But, that's better than spending 2,500 - 3,000. It's just such a hard choice, because I want good quality stuff but with being a student I don't have that kind of money or time to save the money - it would take some time to get that kind of money without a payment plan. So, somebody send me some words of encouragement please - recording is seeming bleak and depressing to me right now - and I LOVE it so much

Sorry for the length. Thank you for reading thus far, and if you can help - please do.

Thanks,
Rodge
Old 02-15-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge A View Post
I still really like the idea of using M-Powered (due to it's more extensive choices of interfaces) But I'm a little scared that the 128 won't be enough. Is anyone here experienced with 128 versus 64 sample buffer? Or is there somewhere that I can hear a soundclip comparison? Any help would great.

A big reason for me wanting to use M-Powered is mainly because of my option to use the Profire 2626. I really like the idea of that interface and I have heard great things about it. But, if I can't acheive Low Latency then I don't want much to do with it. I'm assuming I could get the 003 rack for same amount of inserts. But, without the good preamps - I see that 003 + factory comes with good preamps - but their both so expensive. On top of all of this, I need to buy a new computer. So, I know I'll at least be spending around 2,000 USD all together (over time). But, that's better than spending 2,500 - 3,000. It's just such a hard choice, because I want good quality stuff but with being a student I don't have that kind of money or time to save the money - it would take some time to get that kind of money without a payment plan. So, somebody send me some words of encouragement please - recording is seeming bleak and depressing to me right now - and I LOVE it so much

Sorry for the length. Thank you for reading thus far, and if you can help - please do.

Thanks,
Rodge
I am a drummer, so the buffer settings are very important to tracking drums in real time. If I go back and forth between 64 and 128 in Toontracks Solo host, I can just feel the latency at 128. I don't think that it will ruin a performance, and it certainly isn't like you are hearing the sound way after the hit. 128 is usable, it's just that once you've felt the difference, you would prefer 64 when possible.

This is one of the things that really irks me about M-Powered, and then they got our hopes up with a misprint in one the documentation. I still hope it is something that they are working on, I know my interface runs at 64 samples in all other DAWs I've tried.

J
Old 02-15-2009, 09:19 PM

I get very few complaints from clients at 128... No complaints at 64.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-16-2009, 10:29 AM

Thank you everbody for your input! Tom - you seem to be saving the day on every thread I read - thanks!

But, now it just seems as if I have to make a decision - whether or not to go all out for the 003 rack. It would be easier if I knew whether or not I could get an upgrade price from the Mbox2 Mini to the 003 Rack. Any word on this? Thank you all so much!

Rodge