Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2003, 12:14 PM

Default HD 96 input level question?

We have used a Mix Plus system in the past with Apogee AD8000 converters to print my mixes to. We now have purchased a HD3 with 96 converters. I went to print a mix going through the 96 converter and my levels are way to hot coming out of my console. This has never been a problem hitting the Apogees even with the Soft Limit turned off. I know the 96's don't have a soft limit but to not hit the red on the 96's I have to lower the 2 mix level from our Trident console so low it seems to be wrong. I am at the +4 settings also. There doesn't seem to be a input level setting for the 96's. Any help? Thanks Todd
Minneapolis
Old 08-28-2003, 02:28 PM

Default Re: HD 96 input level question?

Hi Todd

I must say I'm surprised. I would think it would be the reverse. I would start by checking the calibration. There are some instructions in the interface manual I believe. Find out exactly how hot a zero VU sine wave is coming into the 192. It should be -18dbfs by default although that might be considered a little conservative for printing a mix. I dont believe in recording even mixes that hot into a DAW but you dont want ten dbs of airspace for the final mix do you. Check that level and come back to us.
J
Old 08-28-2003, 03:37 PM

There is no calibration adjustment on the 96 i/o. The 192's do and even the 888's. This sucks. I called Digidesign tech support and they said to try one of the other 96 i/o's we have to see if the levels are the same. I will also check the 0vu output of the board to the 96 as you suggested. The 2mix bus on our Trident 80b console sounds best when it is run a little hot in my opinion and that has been perfect level for the Apogees. Printing a low digital signal into Protools, especially a mix has resulted in not the optimum sound to my ears. Thanks Todd
Minneapolis
Old 08-28-2003, 03:46 PM

Is it the same on all inputs?

Does the mix sound ok on the monitors?

When you say a little hot, what do you mean? What is the 2bus reading? We need that test tone level too.

By how much are you having to back things off?

It must be a level mismatch problem....?

You could use a passive attenuator after the console to bring the level down. You shouldnt have to though.

J
Old 08-29-2003, 11:54 AM

I did the 0vu out of the board and it shows up about -19 to -18. So that seems right. All the inputs of the 3 interfaces seem to be the same. The mix does sound fine on the monitors. My 2 mix output on the Trident runs about 0 to +2 on the peaks with the VU meters. I would say I am having to back off my 2 mix level about 4db or so. It is kind of hard to tell as the meters are usually hitting the max which is +3 most of the time on my normal rock music mixing. I will have to hook up the Mix Plus System and see if maybe the levels really were this hot with the soft limit off.
Minneapolis