Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 03-05-2007, 01:22 AM

Default Migration Pro tools III -> 24mix

Hi folks, ;-)

I'm actualy using a nice legacy refurbished Pro tools III tdm pci on a 9600 PPC with G4 sonnet 800 mhz
one card i/o and 3 dsp farm everything run ok.
My question is : is there a easy way to migrated and upgrade to a 24bits mix or mixplus system ?
I though it was possible to do this by just swap my i/o card PTIII and replace with an used mix core card from a old mix system. is it possible ? or m'i wrong?
I don't want to go PTLE, Because of the awful lantency.
Thanks for your answer and sorry for my poor english.;-)

Pro Tools 2020.11 HDX Sonnet Thunderbolt 3 Rack enclosure with a Mac Mini 2020 I7 64Gb of ram And Avid Dad Mtrx Studio …
Old 03-05-2007, 05:22 AM

Default ouou Migration Pro tools III -> 24mix

Oyé ! Help me Please
Is there someone here ?
Thanks

DIGIIIII

Pro Tools 2020.11 HDX Sonnet Thunderbolt 3 Rack enclosure with a Mac Mini 2020 I7 64Gb of ram And Avid Dad Mtrx Studio …
Old 03-05-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Re: ouou Migration Pro tools III -> 24mix

I think its posible. But you would still need a 20 or 24 bit interface.
Also you would have to check if the mix card you buy is compatible with your farm cards. If posible, the best thing to do would be to ask the seller to bring the card to your place and test it. I think it should work right away with the software you have installed, but im not certain.
I want to do the same upgrade as you when I find a mix or d24 card, so I will be interested to hear your results.
Good luck and get back.
Pepo
Old 03-05-2007, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Migration Pro tools III -> 24mix

There is two ways to do this, And yes you will replace the Disk I/O card in the system, One way is to find a D-24 card to replace the Disk I/O card, You can then add a Mix Farm to the system to make it a Mix configuration..
The other is to add a Mix Core card and Mix Farms to make a Mix+ configuration..
Both of these setups will still work with the 3 DSP Farms you have now, But you will have to also add a SCSI card to connect your hard drives that you will be recording to, So you will start running out of PCI slots rather quickly..
Here is some compatibility docs from the archives:

Pro Tools|24 Systems with Pro Tools 5 for Mac OS 9 Requirements

Pro Tools|24 MIX Systems for Mac OS 9 Requirements
Old 03-05-2007, 10:57 PM

Many Thanks for your answer Pepo and milesofwire !!!

You are saying that I need an extra Scsi card, but what about, if instead I prefer using internal Ide disk drive controled with a sonnet Ata 100 ?(I'm still using 9600 with upgrade G4 800mhz)

digi say :
*IDE/ATA support is limited to Powermac G3 or later models, which include a built-in ATA bus. Pre-G3 models that only shipped with SCSI have not been tested with add-on ATA/IDE controller cards.

An why must i have an older d24 card ? is the mix core card not enough in order to build a 24mix system?
So to be clear my system would be (I'm not shure for card order)
1Mix core
2dsp1
3dsp2
4dsp3
5ideaTA100
6ati 7000 radeon

If it works i'be glad because it s hard here in Belgium to find a good working expansion chassis !!
If I find a mix core card I let you know my experience Pepo !!!

Have a nice day

Old 03-06-2007, 03:10 PM

Correct, IDE add on cards were not tested, Try it, it may work..

And yes a Mix core by itself will work fine with the setup you listed
Old 03-11-2007, 12:31 PM

I don't think there will be a problem if just adding a Mix Core card to your DSP farms. The compatability issue with DSP farms is PCI bus and OS related, not between Digi's own cards. If the DSP cards work now they will work when you add the core card. The difference between the the Mix Core/Farm and the DSP cards is the number and type of chips on the card. Some newer plugs require the chips only available on the Mix cards. I just bought a Core and Farm myself, so I'm kinda like you, just getting started. I am running on an Intel P4 with WinXP, although I do have a 9600/G3-400 here. You might try Alto Music in New York state, they sell tested Mix Core cards for something like $650US from the store and their shipping is reasonable, I got both my cards there. Good Luck.
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6