Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 01-18-2019, 11:50 AM

Default First time PT First user!! Help!

Hello Avid/PT community!
First time PT user here. I recently purchased the Focusrite Scarlett Solo interface which came with downloadable PT first. After downloading the free software,(By the way I'm running Win7/64bit system) I unzipped the file and launched the setup. During the setup I experienced several pop up messages.
See attached screen shots.
Basically while installation process the messages are asking to reboot system.
When I say yes. it reboots and goes thru the same installation and pop msg same thing, reboot system. over and over. It will not install. I have downloaded the latest drivers from Avid and Focusrite as well. My ilok account is linked with avid and user license valid. Screen shot four is just about where the pop-up message happens wanting to reboot the computer. Screen shot two is a message that pops up when the installation tried to install but failed
997.overlapped I/O operation is in progress.
Please help.... Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg three.jpg (66.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg one.jpg (81.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg two.jpg (77.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg four.jpg (63.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-18-2019, 12:38 PM

Default Re: First time PT First user!! Help!

Win 7 is no longer supported. Did you spend time with the Pro tools first common issues thread ? http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=402840
Old 01-18-2019, 12:57 PM

Yes I did, according to my find.. . . . .
Intel® PC with Windows 7 64-bit (Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate Editions), Windows 8.1 (Standard and Pro Editions), or Windows 10 (standard or Anniversary)
Old 01-19-2019, 03:08 PM

I think you may want to download a different version of PTF .
v12.3.1
12.8 or 12.8.1
or 12.8.2

if these don't work, make sure you fully uninstall ALL of the files associated with PTF before you try to install it again. I.E go through your program files and manually delete anything that may have gotten leftover from the incomplete install. This happens when some parts are compatible and some are not. If you try to install it again, it may try to use some of those corrupted files and then loop through without having them actually there. After your sure you got everything, reboot your computer and then re download and then reinstall.

I once had to completely reinstall windows cuz of that bonkers biznass... sry hope this helps.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:06 PM

Thanks you, Porter - I'll give it a try and see.
I did try the other versions, however I didn't delete the old files from programs
So now I will go thru and delete everything.
Problem is, the first download of PTF never would load or make it thru the installation. It would as to reboot now or later, I did both. when I said yes, it would loop over and over throughout the rebooting process. when I prompted no, it would just quit installing.
I'll give your advice a try and let you know what happens.
Thanks, Appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter22 View Post
I think you may want to download a different version of PTF .
v12.3.1
12.8 or 12.8.1
or 12.8.2

if these don't work, make sure you fully uninstall ALL of the files associated with PTF before you try to install it again. I.E go through your program files and manually delete anything that may have gotten leftover from the incomplete install. This happens when some parts are compatible and some are not. If you try to install it again, it may try to use some of those corrupted files and then loop through without having them actually there. After your sure you got everything, reboot your computer and then re download and then reinstall.

I once had to completely reinstall windows cuz of that bonkers biznass... sry hope this helps.
Hello Porter,
Nothing worked. Errrrr! I deleted all old PT files and downloaded each version one at a time, still...same msg...... reboot half way thru install.
I think I'm going to cave in and give up. Not worth my time and efforts. Thanks for the advice. Take care
Old 01-22-2019, 10:50 AM

Have you tried installing as administrator? To do so, right click on the PT installer and choose Run as administrator. This will launch the setup program with elevated privileges, which may help your issue.

I also see that in one of the pictures there is a checkbox checked asking to view the installer log file. Does the log file ever open? Looking through the installer log file will usually give you a good idea of why it failed.

System Details
Old 01-22-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
Have you tried installing as administrator? To do so, right click on the PT installer and choose Run as administrator. This will launch the setup program with elevated privileges, which may help your issue.

I also see that in one of the pictures there is a checkbox checked asking to view the installer log file. Does the log file ever open? Looking through the installer log file will usually give you a good idea of why it failed.
Yes sir I did indeed try to install as administrator. Still..... would not install, just keeps asking for reboot half way thru installation.
I opened the log file and skimmed thru it...but it was so convoluted that I didn't take the time to read it verbatim. I will try again and post log file as an attachment. Maybe you can assist as guidance.
Thanks for responding.