Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2024, 04:52 AM

Default Pt10 vs pt hd10 - which one for a TDM system

I found DUC posts comparing the features of PT10 with PT HD10 and I found info about PT10 in the Avid PT compatibility chart.

However, I haven't found anything about which version works or is required for a HD/TDM system .

There are sales of PT10 or PT HD10 on ebay. First, I don't know which I need for my HD3 system. Second, they come with install DVDs plus a NONtransferable license on an ilok2

Which version will RUN on an HD3 system?

Which version is required for a TDM system?

Can the software be installed and then run with this nontransferable iLok?

What are the consequences of using a nontransferable ilok other than not being able to apply ZDT and theft and loss protection?
Old 03-06-2024, 07:05 AM

Default Re: Pt10 vs pt hd10 - which one for a TDM system

TDM hardware requires HD software and an HD license. No way around that. As for a non-transferable license(which I am guessing is on an iLok that is registered to someone else), here are the risks:
1-as you noted, you can't protect it with ZDT, so you need to be careful to never damage the iLok.
2-while I don't expect this to happen, if(a big IF) the ilok was stolen(not FROM you, but before you bought it), its possible for the real owner to log into their iLok account and kill that iLok, but I think that's unlikely.
3-you can never add licenses to that iLok(but you CAN plug several iLoks into a single computer to authorize from multiple iLok accounts, so you can have your own licenses on an iLok registered to you)
4-since you are dealing with older PT software, make sure it will work with whatever OS your computer has
5-since you are buying a license that cannot be transferred, it also cannot be upgraded, so it should be priced accordingly

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-06-2024, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Pt10 vs pt hd10 - which one for a TDM system

You are a real GEM! Thank you for your time and thorough response.