Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2015, 09:46 AM

Default Yet Another HD Upgrade Thread

First of all, let me apologize. I know I'm beating a dead horse, as this subject has been discussed endlessly on here. I have read through as many posts as I can find, and there is still one thing that bothers me, which as far as I can tell, hasn't been discussed.

Some quick background. I'm currently a 10/11 HD user who updated from a 9+CPTK license. This is my home setup. 9 times out of 10, I'm working at a studio. Everyone I work with is still running 10 or 11 HD. And all of the studios I routinely work at still run 10 or 11 HD. As daily users I think we've all come to be wary of updates and like to know that the system we're using is going to crash as little as possible. Until everyone I work with upgrades to 12 HD, I'm not going to jump the gun.

So here I sit, 5 days before the Avid imposed deadline, trying to figure out what to do. I am in no hurry to upgrade to 12 HD, but I am also scared of being locked out of the upgrade system (clearly Avid's intention by setting this deadline). I'm pretty sure I understand the various upgrade paths, and perhaps this is obvious to everyone else, but there is one thing that no one seems to be talking about.

I've run the numbers, and hypothetically, let's say I choose to pay for my upgrades on December 31st. Now let's look at the next 3 Decembers (12-31-15, 12-31-16, 12-31-17):

-If I decide to pay 12-31-15 I'll spend $599 and then each subsequent year I'll spend another $399. Therefore totaling $1400 (I rounded up).

-If I decide to not pay this year, but then 12-31-16 I want to buy back in and get 12 HD, then I have to spend $999 and then the year after I'll spend $399 since I'm back in the upgrade chain. This once again totals $1400. I've spent the same amount of money and all I've lost is the ability to use 12 HD during that year. Oh, and I guess I don't have access to Avid support (oh no!).

-Option 3 is where it gets interesting, and this is where I want you smart people to check my math. If I'm able to hold out till 12-31-17 (and hopefully by then I'll have found a better alternative to Pro Tools and I'll be out of this vicious upgrade circle), then I'll spend $999 to buy back in and that's it. Totaling $1000.

So by not giving Avid my money this December, I'm either going to spend the same amount next year, or if I can stay with 11 HD even longer, then I can actually save some money. All I'm missing out on is a license for 12 HD that's going to collect dust on my iLok anyway. And frankly it seems like my 11 HD license is going to be worth more money if I decide to sell it, since I actually own it, instead of this rental system they've cooked up.

Does this all make sense? Am I missing something? Waiting seems to be the best option, right? It only hurts Avid's bottom line and their attempt to bolster their 4th quarter numbers.

Thanks for listening.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Yet Another HD Upgrade Thread

Well it isn't that hard at all!

If you NEED HD12 then upgrade. If you don't NEED HD12 then don't upgrade.

It isn't that hard to decide actually. For those of us that want to have the HDX run at the latest version and have access to the Pro series plugins etc we upgrade. For those who have a stable HD11 stay put until you NEED to upgrade. Eazy Weazy Peazy Cheezy

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-26-2015, 10:11 AM

Default Yet Another HD Upgrade Thread

Based on what you've said I would sell the HD11 asset right now and buy regular Pro Tools. That'll cost the least money of all and still allow compatibility with the other studios.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:13 AM

As long as you don't run Avid HD hardware

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-26-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
As long as you don't run Avid HD hardware

You are correct sir!!

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:19 AM

I know it's simple on paper when written out like this. The problem is Avid has made it incredibly convoluted and can't seem to just lay it out in one easy to understand post. They've contradicted themselves a lot these past months. Hence the 7000 threads people have started asking for clarification. I was simply worried I had missed something.

I've thought about selling the HD license as I have a second vanilla 11 license I could use and upgrade. The only thing stopping me is that I like to have as much cross compatibility as possible between my home and studio and sometimes the sessions I'm running are above 128 tracks. Also, I can't live without some of the advanced automation.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:21 AM

It all comes down to if you will be needing whatever 12 HD turns into over the next 12 months for collaboration. Avid is clearly betting the farm on collaboration and if it's as well implemented as their new freeze features are, it could be a real game changer that a lot of people are going to need.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailbox View Post
I know it's simple on paper when written out like this. The problem is Avid has made it incredibly convoluted and can't seem to just lay it out in one easy to understand post. They've contradicted themselves a lot these past months. Hence the 7000 threads people have started asking for clarification. I was simply worried I had missed something.

I've thought about selling the HD license as I have a second vanilla 11 license I could use and upgrade. The only thing stopping me is that I like to have as much cross compatibility as possible between my home and studio and sometimes the sessions I'm running are above 128 tracks. Also, I can't live without some of the advanced automation.
There are other options as well.

Some people are sending AVID a message that they will not be threatened into upgrading, by staying at PT 11.

You could wait 2-3 years and just buy a new HD license for about the same price as you would have paid to stay on the AVID cash flow, or rather, upgrade and support program. And then sell the 11 HD license.

You could also purchase the upgrade activation code from a dealer and not activate it until you are ready to use it. Some have suggested that by statute in many jurisdictions AVID has to honor it for 3-5 years.

The value of an 11 HD license in down to about $700-800 right now, not much reason to sell it.

Keep in mind also that your PT 11 HD will become non-transferable if you do put it under the upgrade program. You would have to transfer your AVID and iLok accounts. Turns into kind of a PITA.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:37 PM

I keep seeing people say I should buy it now and then sit on the code till I'm ready to use it. My point earlier is that either way, I'll end up spending the same amount of money and there's no guarantee that Avid will honor these licenses. If there's one thing they've proven, it's that they seem to enjoy changing their position on topics like this depending on what best suits them.

That's why I posed the question in the first place. What am I missing? Why is buying it now and sitting on it a better option than not buying it until I need it? I guess there is the chance that I've bought it and not activated it and then when I do, it starts the year subscription, thus saving me $399 or more depending on how many years I can wait. But everything I've read seems to be circumstantial evidence that they'll honor these licenses. This seems like a gamble.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailbox View Post

-Option 3 is where it gets interesting, and this is where I want you smart people to check my math. If I'm able to hold out till 12-31-17 (and hopefully by then I'll have found a better alternative to Pro Tools and I'll be out of this vicious upgrade circle), then I'll spend $999 to buy back in and that's it. Totaling $1000.

So by not giving Avid my money this December, I'm either going to spend the same amount next year, or if I can stay with 11 HD even longer, then I can actually save some money. All I'm missing out on is a license for 12 HD that's going to collect dust on my iLok anyway. And frankly it seems like my 11 HD license is going to be worth more money if I decide to sell it, since I actually own it, instead of this rental system they've cooked up.

Does this all make sense? Am I missing something? Waiting seems to be the best option, right? It only hurts Avid's bottom line and their attempt to bolster their 4th quarter numbers.

Thanks for listening.
Wow. So waiting - option 3 - is the least expensive choice? I'm at PT10HDX and ML, not interested in Avid's collaboration scheme (which doesn't exist anyway), don't need freeze. I find most studios I go to are actually behind me in upgrades.

So, option 3 is wait for 2 years, and buy back in for $999? Is there a link to option 3? I was unaware of this until reading this thread, and it's an appealing option.

At this point, I'm reluctant to upgrade any of the systems I'm responsible for. There appears to be a real possibility of Avid blinking when faced with the harsh realities of low HD user buy-in. So much of this upgrade plan is such a mess I simply have no confidence.

And if Avid goes broke, what happens to the 12HD asset the user doesn't own? Sounds like the safest thing for the user is to WAIT.

Avid needs an all out effort to regain the trust of its user base.

Best....H