Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2013, 05:47 AM

Default Am I the only one who has thought of this? (Create 'standard' drivers)

Ok, Here I go again! I don't know if this is a dumb question but there's no harm in asking and if anyone wants to ridicule me for asking, feel free to do so! With all the problems that seemingly all recording/daw manufacturers have with cross compatibility between products, mostly related to drivers, why hasn't some software genius conceived of a driver set that would be compatible with, if not all then most of the available products out there? Dumb question? Maybe but to someone like me asking dumb questions are a method of learning! Also it might just be that no one has ever thought of approaching the problem that logically!
Old 05-29-2013, 06:47 AM

Default Re: Am I tge only one who has thought of this?

That would be pretty tough since different interfaces use different componants which require specific code. So, unless every interface used the exact same chips and interface connection this would be impossible. If you think things are buggy now, I can't even imagine what a 'general' driver would produce.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 05-30-2013, 05:51 AM

Oh well''' Like I said, no harm in asking and I learned a little in the process. Thanks for the valuable info.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:16 AM

The "ASIO for All" driver for PC is probably the closest thing to what you are thinking of. IMHO it is really only something to try as an absolute last resort. The drivers made by the manufacturer of the interface will always be better, because they are custom made for that specific interface.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 06-03-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
...why hasn't some software genius conceived of a driver set that would be compatible with, if not all then most of the available products out there?
Since ASIO4ALL was mentioned, understand that it is not a raw driver for all devices. Rather, it adapts each device's WDM driver for use in an ASIO interface.

Buttdialed by me & Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control