Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2002, 12:37 AM

Default Waves releases v3.5 free upgrade

Hello DUC-tizens,
Just to let y'all know Waves has just released a FREE upgrade v3.5, which optimizes CPU usage for Native versions of many of their plug-ins, plus a few other items. I just DL'd and installed it ......... the difference is fairly significant. As you know we need all the help we can get in the CPU dept. out here in Native land with no love from the mothership in sight.

I wished I had it a month ago as I was mixing 2 projects back to back.

Go to www.waves.com

Tony
Old 06-18-2002, 08:17 AM

Default Re: Waves releases v3.5 free upgrade

Well, seems tempting but I am quite afraid to install any Waves upgrade. I have the worst experience with that, like with 3.0 to 3.2: after 3.2 installation, the old version disappeared, the new one could not be found. So with big difficulties I have installed 3.0 back ...
Does 3.2 go smoothly to 3.5 ? Or again those questions " Where is Waves 3.5" ?, I show it exactly and it still keep asking the same and then the final report is: "no Waves plugins found..." I wonder why they don´t make it smooth and easy (for such money ...)
Old 06-18-2002, 09:01 AM

I've tried to download the 3.5 upate several times and it freezes at the beginning and never downloads. I'm on DSL too..has anyone had luck at least getting it to their machine? I'm a huge fan of Waves, I've been using their plugins since they came out..but I agree, their ease of upgradeing has something to be desired. Then there is Bias registration.. wait, sorry I was about to rant..I'll spare you! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2002, 09:27 AM

Although I haven't used a lot of the new plug ins, it did download and install just fine. Follow the instructions and it should go well.

In retrospect, I wish I had opened a few large session files and noted the CPU usage before installing the 3.5 upgrade, so I'd have a way to make a comparison. It would also be interesting to compare a new mix next to an old mix. I don't know what was changed to optimize the code, but I'm sure "somebody" will percieve some sonic degradation with 3.5 (real or otherwise).

Whatever, I'm glad Waves made this available as a free upgrade, considering the cost of these plug ins. I hope when things go to OSX that they will make these compatible at a reasonable cost.

dave patterson / knobville
Old 06-18-2002, 10:00 AM

I have installed the 3.5 upgrade and everything works great. I noticed an improvement in the plug-in preformance right away.

I only have 384mb RAM on my system. When I used the 3.2 version of the plug-ins, the display meters for the plug-ins would frequently "freeze" for a second every 5 seconds or so.

Among other glitches I had before, the plug-ins run much better now.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:00 AM

The DL was a bit slower than normal, but the install went very smoothly and as I said the results were apparent. I loaded a tune that had maxxed out my G4 prior to the upgrade and after it, I had CPU for at least 3 or 4 more REQ's or a couple of RenComps.

YMMV
Old 06-21-2002, 09:01 AM

I recently downloaded the Waves 3.5, with no problems- I have broadband, and sometimes it looks like a file hasn't downloaded properly. I just click omm yes or continue whatever, and it seems to work.

Re old version of Waves disappearing, well it's meant too;!! The installation process looks for the old version and places it in a "previous version" folder or similar, along with old waveshells etc - nice & simple to remove and trash.

Providing you're installing to a new folder, ie not your existing 3.2 version folder, installation should go smoothly - are you sure you're directing Waves to the correct new location for it to recognise your new Waves file?
3.5 works fine on my G4, is better with Motormix, and has a better "load" menu with RenVerb too - recommended!!!
003 & Midas Venice desk
Mindprint DTC
Soundelux U99
Drawmer M-Clock