Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2013, 02:25 PM

Default difference between old and new MC series

I'm trading in my Procontrol/Edit/Pack/Fader pack for 2 x MC Mix and MC transport. My dealer gave me the option of getting the of Euphonix buit (silver) or the recent Avid built (black) are there any difference in built quality ??? Can both use the latest eucon software ??? Thx
Old 09-15-2013, 08:47 AM

Default Re: difference between old and new MC series

I thought there upgraded faders used in the black avid branded ones too?
Old 09-17-2013, 01:58 AM

I believe it's only the mc control that had component changes. And that was between v1 and v2. V2 got a better jog wheel and screen. I believe the avid ones added a better case. But aside from the case are identical to the last mc versions.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:00 AM

Interesting, not sure where I heard that, but when I bought mine, I swear someone told me to get the Black ones because they were using higher quality faders. We have both around work, and they don't 'seem' much different, although I will say on the Euphonix ones, when the faders 'slam' down to zero, they do seem to do so louder and stronger, enough that often the fader caps fly off!

Never had this on the black ones I have. But it could just be better fitting fader caps too!
Old 09-17-2013, 04:17 PM

Hey guys,
It was the "Encoders" that were upgraded on the Avid Artist Mix's and on the Euphonix ver.2 MC Mix's. You can tell the difference. The new ones are much smoother when using them than the original Euphonix pieces.
Mac Pro Early 2009 3.06 Six Core 48gb ram, Pro Tools 10.3.10, HD6 Accel, Pro Tools 2021, Macbook Pro, Magma PE6R4i, Yamaha DM2000 Console, Logic 9 and 10, Apogee Big Ben, 10pcs HD 192's, Benchmark DAC-1, Distressors, API, Neve, Rupert Neve, Dangerous, Lynx, Manley ELOP+, Massive Passive, VariMu, Neumann, Peluso, A-Designs Hammer 2 & Nail, Empirical Labs, Drawmer, Lexicon U87, Bricasti M7, dbx, Cranesong, SSL 500 G-Bus, Custom Audio Germany, Dynaudio, Focal, Yamaha, TC Electronic, Mapex Drums, SPL
Old 09-18-2013, 05:47 PM

How do i know i have the (Euphonix) MC mix ver2 ????
Old 09-18-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
Interesting, not sure where I heard that, but when I bought mine, I swear someone told me to get the Black ones because they were using higher quality faders. We have both around work, and they don't 'seem' much different, although I will say on the Euphonix ones, when the faders 'slam' down to zero, they do seem to do so louder and stronger, enough that often the fader caps fly off!

Never had this on the black ones I have. But it could just be better fitting fader caps too!
First - there where no official distinction between MC Mix "v. 1" and "v. 2". The only way you can tell is that the "v.2" screen is darker yellow and the "v. 1" is brighter yellow (but then you have to have them standing next to eachother in the same lineup. But there is a clear difference between them, but this change was made before going to black.

The "flying fadercap problem" as I remember it, was due to an employee who had put them on upside down - so just take them off and turn them around. (I remember using a pice of additional cottonwool to make them tighter and since then it's never happened again)

I have however seen a new Avid version of Transport with a jogwheel that has been replaced - and that one I would definetly go for...
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 09-19-2013, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post

The "slamming" faders issue was fixed with a firmware update. If you are comparing the Avid one to the Euphonix one, the Avid one would have shipped with the updated firmware while the Euphonix one will need to have it's firmware updated via the EuControl software on the Surfaces tab. Select the device and select the Update Firmware button. They should then behave the same.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:16 PM

vudoo,
The Encoders above each channel strip have a much smoother feel on ver.2 vs ver.1. It also allows for more precise settings without such a "jerky" movement. You would have to try both to notice.
Mac Pro Early 2009 3.06 Six Core 48gb ram, Pro Tools 10.3.10, HD6 Accel, Pro Tools 2021, Macbook Pro, Magma PE6R4i, Yamaha DM2000 Console, Logic 9 and 10, Apogee Big Ben, 10pcs HD 192's, Benchmark DAC-1, Distressors, API, Neve, Rupert Neve, Dangerous, Lynx, Manley ELOP+, Massive Passive, VariMu, Neumann, Peluso, A-Designs Hammer 2 & Nail, Empirical Labs, Drawmer, Lexicon U87, Bricasti M7, dbx, Cranesong, SSL 500 G-Bus, Custom Audio Germany, Dynaudio, Focal, Yamaha, TC Electronic, Mapex Drums, SPL
Old 09-26-2013, 08:29 AM

So just to recap there is no way to tell the difference b/t the v1 and v2 euphonix?

Avid? It would be nice and should be feasible to separate the two via serial number
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.