Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-1999, 11:02 PM

Default Re: sync to ltc with mtp av

Does anyone know when LE will be able to accept a spdif word clock? This is a real setback for some of us 001 users who need to sync to a digital clock like the manual says it does. It worked once but I had to press enter about 60 times when the clock error message kept coming up, but Im unable to get it to work again & quite frankly I dont wanna have to keep bangin on my keyboard everytime I open a session.
Thanks & I hope Digi will adress this MAJOR BUG in 5.0 ( I also hope when I get my 5.0 upgrade for my TDM system this wont happen either!)
Old 12-09-1999, 11:03 PM

Does anyone know when LE will be able to accept a spdif word clock? This is a real setback for some of us 001 users who need to sync to a digital clock like the manual says it does. It worked once but I had to press enter about 60 times when the clock error message kept coming up, but Im unable to get it to work again & quite frankly I dont wanna have to keep bangin on my keyboard everytime I open a session.
Thanks & I hope Digi will adress this MAJOR BUG in 5.0 ( I also hope when I get my 5.0 upgrade for my TDM system this wont happen either!)
Old 12-10-1999, 09:49 AM

thanks LOS...

I'm sure Digi will have the bug fixed ASAP.
Old 12-10-1999, 11:38 AM

>> From the middle Pt does play from the wrong Tc location and as you start it from a farther location, the further off it is. <<

This indicates a frame rate mismatch, not a resolution problem.

- Systems that are not resolved tend to start together but drift.
- If the incoming time code's frame rate doesn't match what PT expects, then the deck and PT will be out the farther in you start (it's calculating based on an incorrect value).

As far as the digital input, can you confirm it is working by recording from a DAT or other S/PDIF device?

- Jeff
Old 12-11-1999, 12:03 AM
Avid

Also I don't think you mentioned your sync mode setting. Please confirm that your hardware setup does read 'digital' and 'spdif' for it's sync modes so it will know to read the clock coming from the DTP and not it's own internal clock.

Oh, one last thing. Make sure your DTP is also set to the correct frame rate and sample rate as well.

-Bryan
Old 12-11-1999, 12:03 AM

Jeff,
As far as sync, it's not resolved because PT wont accept the spdif word clock. I connected mt dat machine to the spdif & it accepted the digital clock & audio just fine. but when it comes to spdif word clock, that it doesn't like at all. The DtP does have output good spdif word clock because I tried it with my USD on my tdm system and it worked fine, which leads me to believe the problem is with the 5.0LE software.
Also I dont have a frame rate mismatch because the DTP is set to 30ND & im generating that from a very accurate source.
Can someone at Digi confirm if they have actually tested a spdif word clock into the 001?
Old 12-11-1999, 12:08 AM

Bryan,
My settings are as follows:
PT: sync mode = digital spdif
sample rate = 44.1

DTP:time base = smpte 30ndf
sample rate = 44.1

The main problem besides sync is just plugging the spdif clock into the 001 without protools just locking up with constant errors.
Old 12-12-1999, 08:46 PM

SPDIF is NOT the same thing as word clock, it's just an ordinary digital audio signal!
Old 12-13-1999, 10:49 AM

Bob,
Their is such a thing as spdif "word clock" which like standard work clock usaully on a bnc connector, is a time base reference and uses spdif to transmit a sample clock relying on time code to keep a system resolved in perfect sync.
What your thinking of is just plain digital audio, so spdif is not just ordinary digital audio in this case
Old 12-16-1999, 09:40 AM

Can someone at DIGI comfirm if they've been able to use spdif clock without problems, and if not when do you expect a fix for this?