Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 04-12-2001, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Fat and deep bass

Hi 666, Virus + Aphex Big bum with phase rev in. Boost at 81 Hz .
Regards Michael
Old 04-12-2001, 02:51 PM

the most incredible bass sounds you´ll get out of an waldorf pulse , not just in fact of unhearable subbasses , no although the real hard stuff you can hear.i think the levels of the mix and the bass , are the key . and of course , to get that real deep sounding bass in a mix , there shouldnt be that much going on.in fact of getting it real fat with a bass drum i would say try setting up a buss on your bass drum and add a compressor plugin to your bass and trigger the sidechain via the bus , that makes it 1st of all tighter and fatter . maxbass is a cool tool , too , but i would say synth sound like that dont usually need that processing , its great for natural stuff to give em those subharmonics . check it out i am very satisfied with those results . let me know , later . i never heard the virus tdm , but i know the original , its cool , but not for deep basses . i would say a virus is a killer tool more mid range and high ends.the waldorf is analog and thats what u want
Old 04-12-2001, 02:53 PM

add on :
of course all that vintage stuff is making that deep warm bass. hammond , moog ... etc.
in fact of they r not that easy to get , i picked up the waldorf ... still available for a payable price .
Old 04-17-2001, 01:55 AM

Fat low end relies on both dynamic qualites as well as fell (not over quantizng the part). Gating/sidechaining should be your final step however, starting with the best sound, (Studio Electronics SE-1 seems to have the balance of FAT and WARM), using a great frontend to your ADC such as a Summit Audio MPC100A which blows any TDM compressor out of the water and finally, a great bass part that considers what it is supposed to supporting within the track (as in "base"). Conflicting low end lines that are within a octave/tenth of bass line will also lead you to driving your bass to hard in the mix. Often, though I hate to bother, I'll write out the parts (voice leading,etc) in notation which always leads to a great end product.
Ray