Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2001, 04:53 PM

Default Need some hard drive advice

I'm running ProTools LE 5.0.1 on a beige G3 266 (OS 8.6) with a second 4 GB hard drive for audio file storage connected via SCSI port. I'd like to increase my audio file storage, and I'm not sure what my options are. Is expanding as simple as buying another (compatible, of course) hard drive and adding it to the SCSI chain? Are there limitations I should be aware of? Are there other storage options I should consider?
Old 06-04-2001, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Need some hard drive advice

Quote:
Originally posted by yin7yang64:
I'm running ProTools LE 5.0.1 on a beige G3 266 (OS 8.6) with a second 4 GB hard drive for audio file storage connected via SCSI port. I'd like to increase my audio file storage, and I'm not sure what my options are. Is expanding as simple as buying another (compatible, of course) hard drive and adding it to the SCSI chain? Are there limitations I should be aware of? Are there other storage options I should consider?
Here's all you'll ever need to know about SCSI. Granted it's LONG, but if you take the time to read it, you can always make informed decisions about what SCSI peripherials you should purchase.

http://www.macgurus.com/graphics/mgscsiadapters.html

------------------
bill hughes-

there's a sociopath within each of us waiting to miss the connection between an act and its' consequence.
-glenn cook

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
-hunter s. thompson

time is like a drug, too much of it will kill you
-terry pratchett
Old 06-05-2001, 03:29 PM

Are you using the built in scsi port, or do you have a scsi accel. in a pci slot?
I too have a beige G3!!

sdf

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 06-05-2001, 04:31 PM

I'm using the SCSI port that's a part of the computer. Currently, my PCI slots are full (a second monitor and a USB trackball make the software so much easier to use).

Old 06-06-2001, 09:52 AM

If you add another drive to your scsi chain, make sure you have the ID'S set correctly, and make sure the drive is fast enough, 7.2k rpm and the drive can read/write/seek fast enough too, under 11 ms i think.
I thought the built in scsi on the g3 was too slow to support dedicated audio drives, but if you are not having any problems....
Take Billbo's advice and check out macgurus
scsi pages of doom, macgurus also have a billboard much like this one where you can post questions, plus they are very knowledgable.

rock
sdf

www.sugarhillstudios713.com