Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 03:30 AM

Default Dynaudio BM6A\'s - Which input do I use?!!

Hey there,

Recently bought some Dynaudio BM6A's - great monitors.
Although, I've one question...

Which input is ideal to use?
The +4dB or the -10dB?

It says that the former is for 'Pro' use - if I'm using balanced cables, does that mean 'Pro'?

I'm running them straight out of a Digidesign DIGI 002 Rack...thats 'Pro', right?

Thanks!!
James

James Arter Music
www.jamesarter.com

Soundcloud
http://www.soundcloud.com/happybunnyproductions
Old 10-17-2007, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Dynaudio BM6A\'s - Which input do I use?!!

I think the "Main" outputs are +4, while the "Monitor" outputs may be -10 (we both need to RTFM ). However, the Mains are better suited for going into a tape deck, where you have input control. Turn down the master fader on a session and plug into the 6As, then GRADUALLY fade the volume up. Balance that with the input control on the 6As and see how it goes.

I control the output volume for the Monitor outs for use with my speakers.

I hope that helps.
PT 2018; Nuendo 8.?; Studio One 3; former Sonar and Sequoia user .... GENELEC 1031A, AVANTONE MIX CUBES (Active); Sibelius 7.0; Dorico; Mac Mini 2.6 GHz Core i7, OS X 10.12.2 Sierra; 16GB RAM; 480 GB System SSD; 1 TB 7200 rpm Audio; 3 TB samples; Roland A-800 Pro controller; GOOD BYE PEE SEA!!
Old 10-18-2007, 06:34 PM

The main outs and monitor outs are +4 and balanced. The alt rca main outs are -10 and unbalanced. A balanced cable has a ground, a cable carrying the main signal and a cable carrying an out of phase version of the main signal which helps with cancelling out noise/interference that may be picked up. An unbalanced cable has a ground and the main signal - no out of phase version and is therefore more susceptible to noise. Use the monitor outs with balanced cables for your speakers and if appropriate, the main outs for an external recording device like for example a CD recorder. Check if the external device is +4 or -10 and connect the appropriate output.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:26 AM

Cheers,

I did that, and works fine.
Although, the level is very high - this come just be that the speakers are particularly loud, of course, but I'm currently monitoring with the 'Monitor Level' knob on around 10 o'clock - which seems very quiet.

I'd imagine the optimum level would be around 2 o'clock, but that would be a completely overwhelming level, it seems?

Just to clarify - Monitor Outs @ +4dB, into Speakers switched to +4dB

James Arter Music
www.jamesarter.com

Soundcloud
Old 10-19-2007, 06:59 PM

That's correct. You should have a level trim on the back of the speakers which you can dial down to give you more room for movement with the monitor dial.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:08 PM

Yes, use +4 and balanced cables - much quieter in almost any situation.

As bigdog said, trim the monitors back. Think of 0 db on the VU meter as full volume on the monitors - you really don't want 105db or whatever. You'll want 0db on the VU outputs to be louder than you USUALLY listen, but certainly not full volume. There's nothing wrong with running your output level at 10 or 11 o'clock. You don't have to carefully gain stage your monitors....

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:19 AM

ok, I'll see how it goes then.

Although, for some reason they don't actually have gain trims. They have ones which trim the HF's and LF's, but not actual gain.

I'll have a fiddle and see what works best.

At least the main output problem is sorted!

Thanks a lot guys, really helped!!

James Arter Music
www.jamesarter.com

Soundcloud
Old 10-20-2007, 12:57 PM

Hey jimbo, no worries that you have no level trim - as lwilliam said there's no problem with your monitor dial being where it is. HF and LF trim will change the sound of your speakers so don't fiddle with them unless you want to change how you're hearing your mixes!! These are on the speakers to compensate for room anomalies, like an excess of bass or an excess of high frequencies - sorry if you know all this already, I just want to make sure that I haven't sent you down the wrong road talking about trimming levels on the speakers. Cheers