Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2011, 05:19 AM

Default Re: Auto Save error (seems like a major Protools 9 Problem)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
Does disabling AutoSave fix it? What time segment is AutoSave set to? I was getting similar errors with previous versions of Pro Tools when I had the AutoSave time set to low values like 1 to 3 minutes. Not having this issue with 9.0.3 and AutoSave is set to 3 minutes.
I Have it set to Keep 10 most recent back ups
Back up every 5 minutes
Old 07-28-2011, 03:32 PM

Well ill jump into this thread aswell then, because i have another thread going on with the exact same issue.
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=299293
I have had this problem since pro tools 8.xx and it´s never going away for me either it seems. I have tried to recreate the error but i cant figure out what the problem is. It seems to happen randomly and when i least expect it.
Also disabling autosave fixes it for me.
I have been thorough with the optimizations and i only use plugins approved by Digidesign.
When i get the crash it points me to a different faulty module every time, AIR Reverb, ProTools, Cfnl.dll etc etc. Sometimes it resets my settings when it crashes so i have to reset my pro tools settings again.

I would really like to get this sorted out.
IS Pro Double 6" Speakers, www.intelligentsound.se/
Old 07-28-2011, 05:01 PM

Probably not the issue, but sometimes it helps to eliminate the obvious...

Is there any chance that your drives are filling up?

It looks like you all have plenty of hard drive space, and you would probably get a more succinct error message if a full drive were the issue, but I've had things like automatic backups slip up and bite me on the a** in the past...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh

Last edited by Bill Denton; 07-28-2011 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Got too succinct in my post...
Old 07-29-2011, 01:09 AM
Avid

Don'tLetMeDrown - I see you have 2 drives named 'Hard Disk', which may be the problem. Can you try renaming one of them to something else?

Which drive do you have Pro Tools installed to?

To tell if your drive is compressed:

Click "Start" and click "Computer." This opens a window on your screen containing your drives. Right-click your drive and click "Properties." Click the "General" tab and look at the check box next to "Compress this drive to save disk space."

To find out if a folder or file is compressed, right click on it and select 'Properties'. It should show you in the Advanced tab. For files you can also just browse for them - compressed ones will have blue text instead of black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand
Does disabling AutoSave fix it? What time segment is AutoSave set to? I was getting similar errors with previous versions of Pro Tools when I had the AutoSave time set to low values like 1 to 3 minutes. Not having this issue with 9.0.3 and AutoSave is set to 3 minutes.
That's interesting. I wonder if this works for anyone else. This *could* indicate that there is still some file management occurring after the save where, if another save happens too quickly, those files are still 'open' and returning the error.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:09 AM

None of my drives or folders are compressed.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Probably not the issue, but sometimes it helps to eliminate the obvious...

Is there any chance that your drives are filling up?

It looks like you all have plenty of hard drive space, and you would probably get a more succinct error message if a full drive were the issue, but I've had things like automatic backups slip up and bite me on the a** in the past...
Just so Im complete and accurate to rule out all possibilities, my drives are as follows

C drive 759 gb free of 931
E Drive (this is where my Pro Tools saves to) 404 gb free of 465 gb
G Drive (computer back up images saved here only, nothing else....maybe an issue???) 74.3 gb free of 465 gb
Old 07-30-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Don'tLetMeDrown - I see you have 2 drives named 'Hard Disk', which may be the problem. Can you try renaming one of them to something else?

Which drive do you have Pro Tools installed to?

To tell if your drive is compressed:

Click "Start" and click "Computer." This opens a window on your screen containing your drives. Right-click your drive and click "Properties." Click the "General" tab and look at the check box next to "Compress this drive to save disk space."

To find out if a folder or file is compressed, right click on it and select 'Properties'. It should show you in the Advanced tab. For files you can also just browse for them - compressed ones will have blue text instead of black.

That's interesting. I wonder if this works for anyone else. This *could* indicate that there is still some file management occurring after the save where, if another save happens too quickly, those files are still 'open' and returning the error.

Ok, this is my thread originally.

And i have done all the windows 7 optimization recommended on the avid website. None of my drives are compressed and they have all the rights to admin (read and write). Protools always run with admin checked and no aero theme.

And the problem doesn't happen if the autobackup option is disabled.
And like everyone else, i would really like to have the autobackup option on. But when it's on the problem happens.

Please Digi, try to solve my problem if it's a configuration problem. Even tough it doesn't seems like it is...
Old 08-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by guileman View Post
Ok, this is my thread originally.

And i have done all the windows 7 optimization recommended on the avid website. None of my drives are compressed and they have all the rights to admin (read and write). Protools always run with admin checked and no aero theme.

And the problem doesn't happen if the autobackup option is disabled.
And like everyone else, i would really like to have the autobackup option on. But when it's on the problem happens.

Please Digi, try to solve my problem if it's a configuration problem. Even tough it doesn't seems like it is...
Ok, can you reproduce the error on your system, then immediately quit Pro Tools and email me your AvidLogFiles folder - just zip it up and email it to me at : vi [at] digidesign [dot] com. Please include a link to this thread in the subject or body of the message.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:00 AM

Alright so i have changed my Ram so the timing speed matches.

Now i have 4 of the same ram module. This morning i still got the autosave error.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:35 PM

The general consensus throughout this discussion has been to turn off the Auto Save in preferences. After having the exact same issue (and yes, all optimisations done, third party plug ins up to date etc), I disabled Auto Save. I really regret it now. As mentioned in my previous thread http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=307549 ProTools wiped my session data. Because I wasn't backing up in the background, it cost me hours of reclaiming and spotting of tracks. Still don't know why this happened in the first place and would like to know what DigiTechSup has to say about it. Anyway...Don't disable Auto Save would be my advice in the first instance.