Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2002, 01:10 PM

Default I NEED ADVICE ON BUILDING MY HOME STUDIO

HELLO, I AM CURRENTLY BUILDING A HOME STUDIO AND I'M TRYING TO FIND AUDIO MIXING SOFTWARE/HARDWARE THAT WILL BEST FIT MY NEEDS. I AM A PICTURE EDITOR USING FINAL CUT PRO/ ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS AND WANTING TO ALSO MIX AND EDIT SOUND TO MY VIDEO PROJECTS. HAVING QUITE A BIT OF EXPERIENCE WITH PRO-TOOLS AND KNOWING HOW POWERFUL IT IS, I WAS HOPING TO INTEGRATE IT IN TO MY HOME STUDIO.

THE FIRST QUESTION I HAVE IS PRO-TOOLS COMPATIBLE WITH FCP AND IF SO WHAT PROBLEMS MAY I FIND WITH COMBINING PT AND FCP ON ONE SYSTEM.

THE ADVICE I SEEK IS: WHAT IS THE MOST COST EFFECTIVE AND EFFICIENT WAY TO CONFIGURE MY SYSTEM WITH PRO-TOOLS HAVING FCP PICTURE EDITING IN MIND.

IS THERE ANY EXTERNAL SYNC HARDWARE THAT I HAVE TO CONSIDER BUYING?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2002, 09:45 PM

Default Re: I NEED ADVICE ON BUILDING MY HOME STUDIO

I have an FCP system and on that same system is ProTools free. They don't run together .... I just export audio form FCP them sweeten then back to FCP.

PTfree can do much for FCP audio but when things get big I have to use the TDM system.

PTfree allows you to start using PT with no money spent and find out if it can serve your needs.
Old 01-10-2002, 10:26 AM

Hey Key, thanks for your reply. I already have PT free loaded, but the problem I'm running into is being able to sync sound to picture and also mixing to picture. How do you get a picture reference?

thank you.
Old 01-10-2002, 11:39 AM

Can you import quicktime movies in PT free?
Old 01-10-2002, 11:39 AM

Export a QT video that PT can import.

You can spot by eye or use a clapper or .... if you think about things you can rely on the Min/Sec timeline ...difficult to explain here..... takes some practice but can work.

I wish FCP had Bars and Beats and a grid like PT .... for making Music Video Clips.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:37 PM

Wow, I've had that same thought (the bars & beats.) You know, the first thing I do with a FC project is measure out 1 bar of black, and then dupe it across the whole project. That way I can always snap to my home-made "bar line"... You're right, Apple should implement that.