Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2021, 09:39 AM

Default Best forum or resource for high end, PT compatible audio and video computer?

I have a couple years to retirement and one of my gifts to myself is going to be a top notch audio and video recording/editing machine. I want a total powerhouse for both audio production and video editing that will take advantage of things like m.2 drives and pcie 4 etc.
I haven't built a computer in about 6 years and haven't kept up so hoping someone can steer me to where the Pro Tools techy people are who are up on the latest builds etc. and possible issues to watch out for.

Thank you,
Steve
Old 01-03-2021, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Best forum or resource for high end, PT compatible audio and video computer?

Hi Steve, It depends on what your use-case is going to be? Hundreds of tracks of wav files, editing, video? You could build a monster of a computer and find out you're leaving 80% of its capabilities on the floor if your requirements aren't there. If editing, rendering and exporting video is a priority, then you may wait for the M1 chips to mature in the Mac's. I hear the M1 chips are handling video rendering effortlessly. But keep in mind, no Pro Tools platform and hundreds of supporting gear/plug-ins are M1 ready. So you will also have to cross match compatibility charts.

I think you should first identify the types of projects you are going to do. As far as m2 NVME drives go, this is an area where you have to do your homework. You could get one that drives upwards of 4.7Gbps, but find that no external carrier or internal bus can support those speeds. Secondly, do you need that performance?

I would start by identifying your projects and then you'll get better answers from people. Otherwise you're going to have folks throwing out all kinds of information sending you in hundreds of directions and probably spending money you don't need to spend.

If I was starting from scratch (which I did last month) the first thing to do is identify my use-case. Small audio projects, drums, bass, guitar, vox, keys, etc... How much of each. That depends on my audio IO. On a budget, I went with UA Apollo Twin X Duo and I already had an adat pre from my previous rig. So I have 10 ins.. I could do a nice setup with that.. Track drums, some bass... and build out a project from there. Prior to last month, all my projects were done on a 13 year old mid-2007 iMac. I figured if it could handle my biggest projects, a new intel iMac with more ram could easily handle what I do, with room for expansion.

Again, depends on your use-case...

Hope this helps.
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Avid S1 / Fire10 - 21.8.1.0
PreSonus DigiMax FS 8-input ADAT
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here:

Paul G YouTube

Paul G Bandcamp
Old 01-03-2021, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Best forum or resource for high end, PT compatible audio and video computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by songwritersoul View Post
I have a couple years to retirement and one of my gifts to myself is going to be a top notch audio and video recording/editing machine. I want a total powerhouse for both audio production and video editing that will take advantage of things like m.2 drives and pcie 4 etc.
I haven't built a computer in about 6 years and haven't kept up so hoping someone can steer me to where the Pro Tools techy people are who are up on the latest builds etc. and possible issues to watch out for.

Thank you,
Steve
Me I would wait until late this year or even middle or end of next year and see what is happening with the Apple M chips and machines.
BUT If you are talking "has to be" PC. I have no clue, but maybe you can bop over to Intel in Aloha and get someone there to make a suggestion

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 01-03-2021, 11:03 AM

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the suggestions.
My typical use cases will be:

Audio: Fairly high track count sessions with a lot of sample-based VST's, recording, producing, editing and mixing.

Video: Want the ability to quickly/smoothly do intensive video editing with visual effects, lighting etc. (My current system bogs down rather quickly with anything beyond just the most basic video editing..

I think for my needs, just a great pcie4 capable mobo with at least 3 or 4 m.2 slots along with enough slots for dual graphics cards and an HDX card will be plenty given I also have a great cpu that plays nicely with the other components and Pro Tools. Based on what I've experienced with my current computer, I think just the move to pcie4, m.2 drives, dual video cards and the latest greatest cpu will handle about anything I throw at it.
Just wondering if there is a site or forum where people who are really into this stuff hang out where I could lurk and learn.

Also, I'm a PC guy so I want to stick with what I'm familiar with plus I can get a lot more for my money going the PC route unless something has drastically changed in the past couple years.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Me I would wait until late this year or even middle or end of next year and see what is happening with the Apple M chips and machines.
BUT If you are talking "has to be" PC. I have no clue, but maybe you can bop over to Intel in Aloha and get someone there to make a suggestion
Yeah, I may not even buy and build this until 2022. PCIE4 is pretty new and I'm also hoping to see more mobo's with more m.2 slots that will allow all my ssds to be super speedy. I'm just starting the research part of it so I'm somewhat up to date on things when I'm ready. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:25 PM

Try here and here.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-03-2021, 01:47 PM

The easiest thing will be to just concentrate on building the best video editing suite you can afford, as any half way decent video rig will be massively OP for most audio applications anyhow. Just keep an eye out for PT compatibility with regard to individual components, and the rest is pretty easy, really. Your wallet will make most of the decisions for you.

I don't see where you mentioned what NLE you'll be using, but they all have pretty robust forums of their own. I'm sure you can get great advice on a new build from the folks there.

I don't know that there is one out there specifically for cats who are black belt in both PT and various NLE's, as it's kind of rare for people to specialize in both.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 01-03-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Try here and here.
Thanks for the links. I've checked out the PT custom computer shops and their prices always seem to be so hugely inflated that I've never gone that route. I know their systems are tried and true components, but I've never had any real issues doing it myself with a little help. Their most expensive machine only has one m.2 drive and is only pcie3 so that tells me they are definitely no at the cutting edge of this stuff. thanks
Old 01-03-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songwritersoul View Post
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the suggestions.
My typical use cases will be:

Audio: Fairly high track count sessions with a lot of sample-based VST's, recording, producing, editing and mixing.

Video: Want the ability to quickly/smoothly do intensive video editing with visual effects, lighting etc. (My current system bogs down rather quickly with anything beyond just the most basic video editing..

I think for my needs, just a great pcie4 capable mobo with at least 3 or 4 m.2 slots along with enough slots for dual graphics cards and an HDX card will be plenty given I also have a great cpu that plays nicely with the other components and Pro Tools. Based on what I've experienced with my current computer, I think just the move to pcie4, m.2 drives, dual video cards and the latest greatest cpu will handle about anything I throw at it.
Just wondering if there is a site or forum where people who are really into this stuff hang out where I could lurk and learn.

Also, I'm a PC guy so I want to stick with what I'm familiar with plus I can get a lot more for my money going the PC route unless something has drastically changed in the past couple years.
Ask yourself this: How many Hollywood-level things will I be doing?

From what you write it seems like you think you'll be doing some heavy-hitter stuff. But will you really? Will you make enough ROI to justify the 5 figure bucks you'll be spending? And it's not just the equipment & software but the environment you'll be putting the stuff in. Like don't forget to factor in air conditioning and your electrical load as well.

QAPLA!
Old 01-03-2021, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Ask yourself this: How many Hollywood-level things will I be doing?

From what you write it seems like you think you'll be doing some heavy-hitter stuff. But will you really? Will you make enough ROI to justify the 5 figure bucks you'll be spending? And it's not just the equipment & software but the environment you'll be putting the stuff in. Like don't forget to factor in air conditioning and your electrical load as well.
Heavy hitter stuff? No, just more of what I've already been doing the past 10 years or so. My current computer starts showing it's limits when I get a number of my vst's going in PT and it definitely shows it's limits when doing anything video. I'm not looking to build a computer for 'potential' projects. I'm looking to build one to more fluently and fluidly handle ones like I've already done in my current system.
On top of that, I won't need to build a 5 digit system to do what I need. $6k or less with me building it myself will result in a pretty robust system considering the abilities of pcie4 and m.2 drives.
If you thought I was trying to portray myself as a 'big shot", I wasn't. I'm just a dude who loves creating music, editing video and who's planning on building a badass computer before retirement as a gift to myself so I'm no longer having to deal with the limitations of my current rig.