Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2015, 02:40 PM

Default Re: How about this?

I want to try it out on a very difficult task, to reverse audio destruction from improperly applied Dolby noise reduction. The docs I mix often use video footage shot in the '80s and '90s. Very often the audio sounds like it was passed through some type of Dolby decoder which was either badly misaligned or the source tape was not Dolby-encoded. In either case, the result is frequency-dependent downward expansion that removes all the hiss and most everything else between loud sounds and syllables of speech, with sibilances greatly exaggerated. If iZotope can tackle that problem gracefully, I'll buy it! I had a set of System 6000 presets for different types of Dolby decoders that helped, using mutiband expansion, but the results were never perfect and sometimes only marginal.

My initial reaction to this plugin is unchanged. Threshold-controlled processes such as compression and EQ, like the old "hiss reducer" boxes, can be a horrible nightmare to undo after the fact when they are carelessly applied. I think they should be used primarily at the finishing stage, not as "magic glue" during a premix. I am curious who will adopt this plugin!
Old 06-12-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
I want to try it out on a very difficult task, to reverse audio destruction from improperly applied Dolby noise reduction. The docs I mix often use video footage shot in the '80s and '90s. Very often the audio sounds like it was passed through some type of Dolby decoder which was either badly misaligned or the source tape was not Dolby-encoded. In either case, the result is frequency-dependent downward expansion that removes all the hiss and most everything else between loud sounds and syllables of speech, with sibilances greatly exaggerated. If iZotope can tackle that problem gracefully, I'll buy it! I had a set of System 6000 presets for different types of Dolby decoders that helped, using mutiband expansion, but the results were never perfect and sometimes only marginal.

My initial reaction to this plugin is unchanged. Threshold-controlled processes such as compression and EQ, like the old "hiss reducer" boxes, can be a horrible nightmare to undo after the fact when they are carelessly applied. I think they should be used primarily at the finishing stage, not as "magic glue" during a premix. I am curious who will adopt this plugin!
Off topic Postman, but have you tried Zynaptic's software to clean/fix your badly processed doc sound? They make a plugin to restore over or poorly processed sound (I think it is called un-chirp) and they claim it can fix a lot of poorly processed sound. I use Unveil as a focusing plugin and I find it can do amazing things *as long as it is not over-done* so may be their other plugins like un-chirp are just as good?
Old 06-13-2015, 07:00 AM

OT discussion restarted here: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=368777
Old 06-18-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
From that description, it seems no different than other dynamic (or "active") EQ plug-ins with sidechain inputs.
That's exactly what it is. If you're using McDSPs AE400 you'll find yourself in familiar territory. Or Waves C6 is similar as it is side-chainable as well.

I personally find myself some times using either only for fast TV promo mixes. Quickly sculpt the freq's between VO, Sync, FX and MX. On occasion, it does make it on denser mixes - but not on stems.

But the iZotope EQ in Final Mix is capable of handling surround tracks. And the limiter in bundle is True Peak, so a competitor for Nugen's ISL.

I would like to think that such a plugin might be useful for broadcasters that cut numerous promos in-house and I would struggle to see it becoming a staple in the dubbing theatre. And least not for the reason it is being advertised. But I'm know to be wrong on many occasions!

But all in all it looks like a great bundle if one works heavily in TV surround and didn't go for ISL when in need for a good TP Limiter.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:30 AM

Could be they took the dynamic EQ and limiter from ozone 6 advanced, reskinned the limiter, and are selling it separately. If it's a decent price then great.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:42 AM

That sounds about right mesa.