Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2008, 03:30 PM

Default Can anyone out there using Duende help with this?

Can anyone confirm this using Pro Tools 7.4. Just upgraded software and firmware and after running some test sessions it seems that using duende classic with a buffer size of 512samples @48K results in unusable stuttering glitchy nastiness..

At all other sample rates including 96K it is fine and also when using a buffer size of 256 or 1024samples in the playback engine.

So whats the problem then you ask- well I do a lot of video work at 48K and need to use a buffer size of 512 samples so that when I'm using my choice plug-ins the overall delay is under the maximum 4095 samples allowed by the Pro Tools Delay Compensation. At 256 samples I get processing peaks and at 1024 samples I get tracks playing out of time because some are over the limit allowed.

This means that I can't mix sessions effectivaly at 48K and I also have no way of recalling the mixes I have done in the past year if they were using Duende and of course they all have been.

Any advice would be appreciated- here are my system details.

Dual 2Gig PPC G5 running os10.4.10 with 3.5Gb ram
Accel HD2 cards running Pro Tools 7.4cs2
Apogee Rosetta 800 96K with XHDcard.
Duende Classic (only thing on the FW bus) V2.4.1 with latest firmware.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Can anyone out there using Duende help with this?

I find Duende is very sensitive to the number of RTAS plug-ins you have running, track count, the buffer setting and the amount of RAM allotted to Pro Tools.

Try power cycling the Duende unit and convert some of your RTAS plugs to TDM. You might also reinstall the Duende software update too. I'm fairly new to Duende and that's the stuff that has worked for me. Good Luck

Barry Rudolph
Old 02-11-2008, 04:42 PM

I find Duende is very sensitive to the number of RTAS plug-ins you have running, track count, the buffer setting and the amount of RAM allotted to Pro Tools.

Try power cycling the Duende unit and convert some of your RTAS plugs to TDM. You might also reinstall the Duende software update too. I'm fairly new to Duende and that's the stuff that has worked for me. Good Luck

Barry Rudolph
Old 02-11-2008, 07:27 PM

SSL requires 1024 samples buffer and only 2 processors use when using Duende with pro tools HD. I've have spoken with their product managers directly about this.

Bummer.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:46 AM

Quote:
SSL requires 1024 samples buffer and only 2 processors use when using Duende with pro tools HD. I've have spoken with their product managers directly about this.

Bummer.
You're not paying attention. He said that it works at other buffer sizes but is getting CPU spikes on his machine. I've been able to use Duende at any size between 256 and 1024 and it has been fine, although I prefer to sit at 512. SSL's proclamation that it must run at 1024 is merely a suggestion, regardless of what SSL says.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:04 AM

Yes the main problem is not being able to run at 512 samples because the total latency is above the ADC limit. For example using SSL channel strips on individual drum tracks and then trying to bus them through an SSL compressor while fine at 512 is over the limits at 1024 samples. If I try and run the system at 256 samples it's to erratic when using a large number of rtas plug-ins and instruments.

I know people have had problems with Duende in the past but after a bit of testing I managed to use it successfully on many mix projects with only minimal fuss but all of a sudden it has been rendered next to useless @48K.

Thanks for your replies and any more help would be really appreciated..
Old 02-12-2008, 02:16 AM

[/QUOTE]You're not paying attention. He said that it works at other buffer sizes but is getting CPU spikes on his machine. I've been able to use Duende at any size between 256 and 1024 and it has been fine, although I prefer to sit at 512. SSL's proclamation that it must run at 1024 is merely a suggestion, regardless of what SSL says.

[/QUOTE]

What system are you running Eric and are you using the new software? In the past I have always run the system at 512 samples as it is the best compromise between stability and usability when using 3rd party plug-ins with ADC.

Until(if) Digi up the maximum value of the ADC at lower sample rates this is going to be an issue- surely this setting should be user definable anyway?
Old 02-12-2008, 05:52 AM

Dude, I am paying attention. He says he cannot run at 512, and I am saying SSL does not... "recommend" 512.

I tried to use Duende for a long time, and it never worked to the extent that a professional environment required. It is too bad, as it sounds great.