Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2022, 10:55 PM

Default Ram Upgrade on Mac Pro 2019 for 96khz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I also posted some other comments on memory usage recently. https://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=...0&postcount=15

Maybe most useful there is mention of boot-args="maxmem=xx" and the memory_pressure utility that can help show how much more memory you have than might be needed to just do the job. If you suspect you are low on memory, deconfiguring say 8GB or 16GB and just see what happens can be useful. May or may not be helpful here, but might help others.

The complexity with VIs is not only is the DAW causing memory use and the operating system potentially then reducing then amount of physical memory actually used but the VIs are also managing memory, how much they allocate to memory resident sample caches or streaming buffers. Some may be configurable, some may be configured by the software based on systems configs, I'd expect some might change themselves if the system is running low on memory.

Well said! Guys I think I found the main problem.

I just changed all the buffer settings in the Spitfire software, there are many buffer-related parameters, like streaming buffer, pitched-voices buffer etc...

Basically you can balance the load between Ram and Drives, in case you have very slow drives. (honestly I think it's a pretty rare situation among people that are used to work with big sample libraries.)

Anyway, with all the buffer parameters ij the middle way between Max and Min, the amount of Ram that each plugin instance needs moves from 14-15 Gb to 700-800 Mb.

Funny to say, it was taking 30gb of Ram for just two plugins with the Ssd Drive almost sleeping at 1%. Like moving a Tesla using two draft horses.

With other Virtual Instruments, usually the default settings are ok for most of the situations, I don't know why on these brand new GUI Spitfire Instruments I had these crazy settings as if I had my library on a floppy disk.

Anyway I'm going to add 48gb anyway cause I found 6 OWC modules for 200€/$, it'll leave me more gap in case of big crazy sessions.

And also, after some tests with similar processes in the backgrouns, looks like the Mac Pro wants more Ram than a Macbook M1.
Old 12-07-2022, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Ram Upgrade on Mac Pro 2019 for 96khz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulienat View Post
And also, after some tests with similar processes in the backgrouns, looks like the Mac Pro wants more Ram than a Macbook M1.
I have also found this, but Darryl has good points which suggest more testing.
Old 12-13-2022, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Ram Upgrade on Mac Pro 2019 for 96khz

I just installed 6x8gb Owc Ram Modules in the Mac Pro 2019 and I found out this:

I had 6 Apple 8gb original modules installed in slot 1-3-5-7-9-11 so, based on the knowledge that I had about the Hexa mode and how they share the channels I've left the original modules in their position and I just add the Owc modules in the free slots, 2-4-6-8-10-12.

When I turned on the Mac I had the orange light telling me there was a problem with Ram. So I checked again every module and reset. Same problem again.

Then I put all the modules in pairs so, Apple 1-2-3-4-5-6 and OWC 7-8-9-10-11-12. And it worked.

Apple tells you how to put different modules in the best sequence to optimize performances but they don't tell you how to integrate Apple-approved modules in the slots, except for the suggestion of not mixing different sizes and R-dimm with LR-Dimm