Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-04-2000, 02:25 PM

Default MachineControl & JVC Deck errors

hi everyone

I've been using this ancient 3/4" CR850U JVC deck forever. It works great with my little 9 pin remote. Recently I got machine control, but when I try to enable the 9pin control option, it won't recognize the 3/4" deck. (PT gives an error saying that "couldn't locate a machine.. check connections etc.." I have the 9 pin connected to my First mix card, and the VTR comes to life for a brief second when PT is starting up, but it just will not see the deck when I try to enable it! (Yes, of course the deck is in remote silly!)

Any solutions?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2000, 04:01 PM

Default Re: MachineControl & JVC Deck errors

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by babyseal:
hi everyone

I've been using this ancient 3/4" CR850U JVC deck forever. It works great with my little 9 pin remote. Recently I got machine control, but when I try to enable the 9pin control option, it won't recognize the 3/4" deck. (PT gives an error saying that "couldn't locate a machine.. check connections etc.." I have the 9 pin connected to my First mix card, and the VTR comes to life for a brief second when PT is starting up, but it just will not see the deck when I try to enable it! (Yes, of course the deck is in remote silly!)

Any solutions?

Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The serial protocol is different; you need an Adreinne box to translate the JVC to Sony 9-pin protocol. I use my Tascam DA-88 remote to run my 850, but I wouldn't be able to do it without the Adrienne box translating the protocol. The boxes run, or used to run, about $500.00.

-Craig
Old 12-05-2000, 07:42 AM

Craig,

I don't know how or why, but I'm able to control my DA88 without the box you are mentioning. I have my 9pin connected to my printer port though (Mac 9600)
Old 12-06-2000, 05:16 AM
Avid

-Machine Control contains a finite number of profiles for various decks on the market. While it has a profile for the DA88, it does not contain one for the CR850U. In addition, if JVC decks are not compatible with the Sony 9-pin standard, Machine Control will have problems even recognizing the device with its "generic" profile.

Brent
Old 12-06-2000, 10:09 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DigiTechSupt:
-Machine Control contains a finite number of profiles for various decks on the market. While it has a profile for the DA88, it does not contain one for the CR850U. In addition, if JVC decks are not compatible with the Sony 9-pin standard, Machine Control will have problems even recognizing the device with its "generic" profile.

Brent
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Which is why I recommended the Adrienne box; is translates the JVC serial to Sony. And with that translation, the JVC will accept Sony 9-pin profile and behave accordingly. AID (Audio Intervisual Design) in Hollywood sells these converter boxes (323) 845-1155.
I have my JVC 850 hooked up the my RC848 (which also runs my 2 DA-88s, machines gathering dust daily) By selecting Machine 9 on the controller, the RC848 interfaces with the Adrienne box which then sends the command to the JVC. The Adrienne box also reads timecode, sent to it through the address track of the JVC. Which means that the JVC must be the master; it won't slave and chase timecode the way the other boxes will. But you can program up to 99 locates, and that helps alot.

-Craig