Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2016, 03:57 PM

Default Punching in/Pre-Roll

Am I missing something or is there no way to punch in or use pre-roll?
I've been using this in the studio when I'm by myself and want to record myself playing drums, and there's no one to operate the computer in the control room.
The addition to control sends have been a huge plus for me, but I need some way to navigate song sections and punch ins.

Thanks
Old 06-10-2016, 05:33 PM
Avid

Default Re: Punching in/Pre-Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatzer View Post
Am I missing something or is there no way to punch in or use pre-roll?
I've been using this in the studio when I'm by myself and want to record myself playing drums, and there's no one to operate the computer in the control room.
The addition to control sends have been a huge plus for me, but I need some way to navigate song sections and punch ins.

Thanks
Yes, you can do this. Make sure you've installed the Pro Tools Appset (XML) from the "Pro Tools | Control and EuControl" section here: https://my.avid.com/products

Go to Soft Keys view, tap "TRANS" button in top left of big soft keys, and you'll see Pre-Roll/Post-Roll and a bunch of other transport commands along with buttons to additional pages of transport commands. Then, make sure you're in Quick Punch in Pro Tools and from the transport at the bottom of the app hit Play button then Record button to punch in/out when desired. If you then tap the HOME button (bottom right of Soft Keys view), you'll see "MEM LOC" button which will show you your memory locations. Alternatively, you can show small Soft Keys at the bottom of the app and go to "Memory Locations" there. If you did that, and stayed on "TRANS" (Page 2) of the big soft keys, you could change the Loop Play and Loop Record buttons to be Play and Record in the EuControl Soft Key Editor. I think that will give you all the controls that you want on one page more or less.

Additional info on how to edit soft keys in the Pro Tools | Control guide (also in your Avid account).

Hope that helps.
Berkeley, CA
Old 06-10-2016, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Punching in/Pre-Roll

Excellent, guess I should have read the manual.
Thank you for the detailed response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Yes, you can do this. Make sure you've installed the Pro Tools Appset (XML) from the "Pro Tools | Control and EuControl" section here: https://my.avid.com/products

Go to Soft Keys view, tap "TRANS" button in top left of big soft keys, and you'll see Pre-Roll/Post-Roll and a bunch of other transport commands along with buttons to additional pages of transport commands. Then, make sure you're in Quick Punch in Pro Tools and from the transport at the bottom of the app hit Play button then Record button to punch in/out when desired. If you then tap the HOME button (bottom right of Soft Keys view), you'll see "MEM LOC" button which will show you your memory locations. Alternatively, you can show small Soft Keys at the bottom of the app and go to "Memory Locations" there. If you did that, and stayed on "TRANS" (Page 2) of the big soft keys, you could change the Loop Play and Loop Record buttons to be Play and Record in the EuControl Soft Key Editor. I think that will give you all the controls that you want on one page more or less.

Additional info on how to edit soft keys in the Pro Tools | Control guide (also in your Avid account).

Hope that helps.