Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 05-17-2016, 06:46 AM

Default Auto function (write, touch, latch etc) not working

Firstly, I'm very impressed with the new app version, what a fantastic update! Well done all involved!

I've only just started digging into it, seems to be working very well, very responsive on my old ipad 2, except the one feature i was most looking forward to which is the automation soft keys.

Most of the automation stuff works, but the basic track modes, write , touch, latch don't do anything. If I change the mode using the mouse or my artist mix pro tools control shows the mode selected accordingly, but it doesn't work the other way round.

anyone else getting this? anything i can try to fix it?

I'm on a 2009 mac pro, 10.9.5, PT 12.5

thanks!
Old 05-17-2016, 08:26 AM
Avid

Default Re: Auto function (write, touch, latch etc) not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr xy View Post
Firstly, I'm very impressed with the new app version, what a fantastic update! Well done all involved!

I've only just started digging into it, seems to be working very well, very responsive on my old ipad 2, except the one feature i was most looking forward to which is the automation soft keys.

Most of the automation stuff works, but the basic track modes, write , touch, latch don't do anything. If I change the mode using the mouse or my artist mix pro tools control shows the mode selected accordingly, but it doesn't work the other way round.

anyone else getting this? anything i can try to fix it?

I'm on a 2009 mac pro, 10.9.5, PT 12.5

thanks!
I think this is an order of operations things. You need to tap and hold the automation mode button then tap the track channel strip or track tile in the app. That will then put the tapped track into the selected auto mode. Alternatively, you can select a track or track(s), tap "Do to Sel" soft key, then tap the desired Auto Mode button.

Glad you are digging the update!

Thanks,
Berkeley, CA
Old 05-17-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
I think this is an order of operations things. You need to tap and hold the automation mode button then tap the track channel strip or track tile in the app. That will then put the tapped track into the selected auto mode. Alternatively, you can select a track or track(s), tap "Do to Sel" soft key, then tap the desired Auto Mode button.

Glad you are digging the update!

Thanks,
hey Kyle,

Thanks for your reply, i didn't realize that was the method.

i'm finding that works a couple of time, and then stops working. Trying to do so also caused pro tools to hide all active tracks and show inactive ones, which was weird, it did that a couple of times.

i'm going to update my ios as maybe that's causing issues... there is definitely some bugginess here (bare in mind i'm on an ipad 2 which i don't think is supported) as if i restart the app, i can change auto mode 2 or 3 times and then it stops working until i restart it again. everything else i've tried so far has worked well.

As an aside do you think you would consider for an update the auto modes just changing the selected tracks in pro tools? Now i know the procedure, i'm probably just going to continue doing it within pro tools as having to press and hold then choose the track from with PT control is no faster, and for me is actaully probably slower.

I was very interested in the dock with it's dedicated auto mode buttons, but i've read it's a similar procedure with that? Seems a shame, in the heat of mixing, would be nice to put a track into touch and back into read with just two clicks. Not that it takes much time to press and hold and click again, it's just more a train of thought left/right brain type thing.

Give how frequent these modes need to be switched i really think a one press to change the already selected tracks modes would the way to go.

anyway, that's my 2 cents... i know everyone's probably got their own ideas on how these things should work!

congrats again on the app!

thanks
Old 05-17-2016, 02:51 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr xy View Post
hey Kyle,

Thanks for your reply, i didn't realize that was the method.

i'm finding that works a couple of time, and then stops working. Trying to do so also caused pro tools to hide all active tracks and show inactive ones, which was weird, it did that a couple of times.

i'm going to update my ios as maybe that's causing issues... there is definitely some bugginess here (bare in mind i'm on an ipad 2 which i don't think is supported) as if i restart the app, i can change auto mode 2 or 3 times and then it stops working until i restart it again. everything else i've tried so far has worked well.

As an aside do you think you would consider for an update the auto modes just changing the selected tracks in pro tools? Now i know the procedure, i'm probably just going to continue doing it within pro tools as having to press and hold then choose the track from with PT control is no faster, and for me is actaully probably slower.

I was very interested in the dock with it's dedicated auto mode buttons, but i've read it's a similar procedure with that? Seems a shame, in the heat of mixing, would be nice to put a track into touch and back into read with just two clicks. Not that it takes much time to press and hold and click again, it's just more a train of thought left/right brain type thing.

Give how frequent these modes need to be switched i really think a one press to change the already selected tracks modes would the way to go.

anyway, that's my 2 cents... i know everyone's probably got their own ideas on how these things should work!

congrats again on the app!

thanks
Are you using the latest appset (XML)? That is included in the downloads section of your Avid Account under "Pro Tools | Control and EuControl". If you haven't installed that yet, follow the instructions in the zip file and see if you are still having issues with the soft keys. That is very strange that using soft keys to change auto modes would call the show/hide tracks function.

We are investigating doing direct assign for automation modes on Dock. We've gotten a lot of feedback around this and makes a ton of sense.

Thanks.
Berkeley, CA
Old 05-17-2016, 11:58 PM

Hi Mr X,
how is your experience with the iPad 2? Which iOS do you use? I didn't try to install anything newer than iOS 7 because there's no way back... And so I didn't try Pro Tools Control on it. I tried the app on my wife's iPad mini 2 and it works well there.
If it works well for you it may be a nice last job for my rusty old one, too.
I'm very interested in your response.

Best

Mark
Old 05-18-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Are you using the latest appset (XML)? That is included in the downloads section of your Avid Account under "Pro Tools | Control and EuControl". If you haven't installed that yet, follow the instructions in the zip file and see if you are still having issues with the soft keys. That is very strange that using soft keys to change auto modes would call the show/hide tracks function.

We are investigating doing direct assign for automation modes on Dock. We've gotten a lot of feedback around this and makes a ton of sense.

Thanks.
Hey Kyle,

I had not updated the appset, apologies. Having done so it is working better, but still seems inconsistent, i'm still getting some unexpected results and strange behavior, but i'm sensing maybe my ipad 2 is just not up to the job?

That's great news about direct assign for the auto on the dock. Please consider it for pro tools control too.

thanks for your help, and all your work on this.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ziebarth View Post
Hi Mr X,
how is your experience with the iPad 2? Which iOS do you use? I didn't try to install anything newer than iOS 7 because there's no way back... And so I didn't try Pro Tools Control on it. I tried the app on my wife's iPad mini 2 and it works well there.
If it works well for you it may be a nice last job for my rusty old one, too.
I'm very interested in your response.

Best

Mark
hey mark,

Based on my experience so far, i can't say i'd recommend it, but i need to try the app on a newer gen model to know if the problems i'm experiencing are due to the old ipad or some other reason. Initially it seemed great, the app feels pretty responsive, but the more i've tried to use it i'm getting some strange things happen. I'm not 100% it's the ipads fault though. Will report back if i can borrow a newer one to test.

You are right not to install a newer ios, 8 and 9 basically ruined my ipad 2, i didn't realize you couldn't go back, pretty disgusted at apple for this. It worked brilliantly well under 7, but 8 and 9 both equally bad. It works but it's not much fun to use. Went from very zippy to decidedly sluggish.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:01 AM

Thanks Mr XY,
your experience with iOS 8 and 9 is what I supposed. I'm thinking of giving my iPad 2 the chance to retire in a Pro Tools Dock and buy a new iPad for my private use. In my imagination it's not a very processor intense task to host Pro Tools Control but maybe I'm wrong. The problem is I can't try it myself because there's no way back. So I'm very interested what the results of your comparison will be. Please keep me informed.

Best

Mark