Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 12-23-2015, 07:08 PM

Default Audio glitches with Fast Track Ultra on Windows 10 after updating Windows 10

I'm experiencing audio clicks & pops when playing real time VSTi's using the Fast Track Ultra. I think this problem started immediately after the most recent Windows 10 update. (which I think was a big update). If I switch to ASIO4ALL using the integrated audio interface, the problem goes away. I have tried stopping as many background processes as I can. Just in case it's relevant, I notice that in the M-Audio control panel, when I click the "Setup" button at the top, the pop-up window does not display immediately - it kind of "unfolds" in a gradual and jerky fashion. It may just be an intended transition effect, but if it's not, this could be a sign of a problem, I think.
Tried two instruments so far: Kontakt 5, and Pianoteq 5 (both in standalone mode)
Environment:
I normally run at 44.1kHz and a 128 sample ASIO buffer. I'm not sure yet whether increasing the buffer size completely eliminates the problem, but I think it does help.
Windows 10-X64 Pro (last updated 23-Dec-15)
Fast Track Ultra driver version 6.1.10, firmware 1.5.1
Dell M4500 laptop, Core i5 M540 @2.53GHz, 4GB (this laptop is rather old)
Old 12-23-2015, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Audio glitches with Fast Track Ultra on Windows 10 after updating Windows 10

Several possible issues here
#1-an old and somewhat under-powered computer
#2-Windows 10 is yet to be approved with any version of Pro Tools
#3-Has M-Audio released a Windows 10 driver for that interface?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-23-2015, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Audio glitches with Fast Track Ultra on Windows 10 after updating Windows 10

Thanks Dave.

I don't think the driver is supported for Windows 10 yet.
Protools is not relevant - I'm running the aforementioned software in standalone mode.

Greg.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:47 PM

My CPU frequency seems to be stuck on 1.2GHz! First noticed in Pianoteq, verified with the CPU-Z utility. This is despite the fact that I have attempted to lock the frequency at max. I am using the High Performance Windows power profile, and I have double checked that the min & max CPU frequency are both set at max. I have tried switching to the "Balanced" power profile, to see whether Windows then dynamically adjusts the frequency, but it doesn't seem to budge from 1.2GHz.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:19 PM

I found the problem - I'm a bloody idiot.

I was using the power adaptor from a different laptop - still a Dell, but a different model. The laptop had detected that I was not using the correct adaptor, and limited the performance/power consumption to protect itself from the bloody idiot user.

Greg.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:52 AM

Glad you got it sorted

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-25-2015, 03:40 PM

Thanks - me too. :) I was starting to accept the fact that I may need to buy another interface, or worse - become a Mac user!!!

This FTU is an excellent interface - amazing amount of i/o for the price I paid way back when I bought it. In fact it's working better than ever with the most recent drivers. Originally I wasn't able to use suspend/resume (in Windows) - Windows would crash after resuming. That problem has gone now.

Greg.