Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-31-2004, 11:09 AM

Default Which Processes Are Running

I want to be able to shut down some of the running processes before starting pro tools, but how do you tell which one to disable or not. Some are easy, like mcafee, but what about the rest..? What is the minimum amount of processes you can run and not screw windows up? How many does a normal computer need to be running?
Old 10-31-2004, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Which Processes Are Running

IM shutting down almost every task including explorer
there is some task that windows dont let you close..
& svchost that will restart your computer if you will close him
this is the list that im work with - minimum IMO ....
system idle process
system
smss.exe
winlogon.exe
lsass.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
crss.exe
services.exe
protools
Old 10-31-2004, 11:44 AM

Wow, just those 10 processes and everthing is cool? I've only shut down to 28 processes because I didn't know what they were.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:07 PM

set up a 2nd hardware profile and configure it to only run the required processes and disable extra hardware like network cards
Old 10-31-2004, 07:16 PM

off topic i guess, but where are you located in NM, just curious to see who else in this state playing this game...

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-31-2004, 07:26 PM

Hey guitardom, I'm located outside Albuquerque in between Tijeras and Edgewood. We have 6 acres off highway 217. Where are you at? Incidentally about the thread, when I shut down some of my processes they turned themselves back on. I would assume that I have to go into each program and shut it down there. I was only able to get it down to 18 processes, there were 6 svchost processes runnning. Any idea what I have all those running? I'm off to set up another hardware profile,
Old 10-31-2004, 07:41 PM

hey, you have to either disable them or put them on manual, stopping them will only work temporarily. if your not sure, disabling can be risky, better to put on manual. i have quite a bit of literature at home that should help you out..but, i live in albq. to near san mateo and osuna, i engineer up at stepbridge studio in santa fe, and also have a decent setup at my place where i seem to keep picking up stuff here and there. feel free to email me or something, maybe we can get together or something, [email protected]

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-31-2004, 07:50 PM

My old band "Mother" recorded 4 songs up there a few years ago. It's a very nice studio with some great gear. Tim's a cool guy too. Thanks for the info, I was wondering how do I set up or store a hardware profile? I went into hardware profiles in system, but it only looked like a screen to choose one that you stored somewhere else. I just sent you an e-mail too.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:04 PM

i ran across your album a couple years back, and i totally got into it, that chick could sing, then i found out you had broken up. i met the singer when we were working with go motor car i think?? (the song "afraid of love", i think??) and she came up to sing some backup. said she was going for opera or something and was more interested in "taking care of her voice", totally cool chick. we finally got tim totally pro tools, his infamous adats are finally retired. sorry, i never have stored a hardware profile. i just do what i am gonna do and thats that, doesnt work, restore, not a great way i guess, but have never had any problems.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-31-2004, 08:09 PM

Sweet. last time I was there, just the smaller control room was Pro Tools on mac. Probably Pro Tools 24. Does he still have the analog 24 track? That's what we did our recording on. And the Neve sidecar, DAMN. What's in that thing. 1073's, 1084's . I don't know, but sounds so good.