Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-09-2006, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Using Waves Vocal Bundle plugs to zap mouth clicks

Quote:
Can't find a way to upload this preset -- anybody know how to do this? I'd really like to share this with you all. It's only 4K.
Upload it here and then post the link http://multiterra.mooload.com/index.php I will try it on the C1 gate.

Dave
Old 05-09-2006, 12:59 PM

Here they are:

http://multiterra.mooload.com/file.p...outh+click.xps

http://multiterra.mooload.com/file.p...outh+click.xps
Old 05-09-2006, 01:11 PM

And here is the original sample I sent to Waves Support, with a representive sampling of the clicks:

http://multiterra.mooload.com/file.p...dra_50.wav.zip

This is the corrected version Waves sent me, using the C1 Gate Mono:

http://multiterra.mooload.com/file.p...+Sandra_50.wav

If you want a longer WAV sample with The Mouth Click, let me know and I'll upload one.

BONUS: If any of you out there can get me dramatically better results using Waves Vocal Bundle or any of the standard-issue PTLE 7.1 plug-ins, I'll PayPal you the funds to buy a six pack of the world's finest ale, Deschutes Brewery Mirror Pond Ale from scenic central Oregon!
Old 05-09-2006, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Using Waves Vocal Bundle plugs to zap mouth cl

I know this might not be a big help for your current situation - 15 hrs of audio without handling a clicking problem? Yoicks! - but here's a trick I use all the time, which I modified basically from a technique used in movie/TV applications: open your mic in your iso booth or wherever you are recording and get things as absolutely quiet as possible (be a NAZI about it if you have to). Record about 30 secs or so of roomtone. When you hear an offending click or even an unwanted breath, paste in a piece of the roomtone that is the same duration as the culprit (sometimes a micro crossfade on either end might be necessary...). Keep the piece of room tone handy in your cut/paste clipboard and use the trim tool to vary its length (duration) to handle different clicks/breaths once you paste in the roomtone. You end up with a really natural sounding recording - though it may take a little more time. Far exceeds any gates, vocal expanders or other plugin functions, no matter how good they are - IMO, they tend to take the 'air' out of a track, not to mention squashing the trailing ends of words many times (it goes without saying to stay away from the strip silence function - arrgh!). Even sraight noise reduction software does it. And just editing out the click or breath can alter the tempo slightly, make someone's cadence seem clipped or abrupt, or worst, just leave behind silence - in any case, even if no one can put his/her finger on it, the track runs the risk of just not sounding 'right'.

I even find that if a click happens in the middle of a trailing end of a word, especially a plosive or velar plosive (like 'k' or 'g' at the end of a word) - which many times is a result of quick tongue movement or 'spit squelch'(I call it) - a small sample of roomtone gets rid of that click while not resulting in an attenuation of the trail of the word (I'm talking durations of .004, .006, or shorter here). IMHO, this technique is far superiour to pretty much any plugin - the character of the room is maintained, and no coloring from the plugins modifies your recording. And, you'll be surprised how quickly you can get at finding and editing these nuisances.

The tip of lots of water and kleenex is indispensable. Also, don't forget a green apple (sour granny smiths are best). Ask the talent to chew (swallowing is optional - though not might be a little gross! apple spit cup...?) a small bite - doesn't need to be much. I swear it works wonders!

Anyway, just a couple cents worth. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Nathan Lowe
PT 2019 and 10.14
UA Apollo Quad
Outboard:
2 x Summit Audio 2BA-221>TLA 50>EQF-100
2 x dbx 165a
x Shadow Hills GAMA
http://humpbackmedia.net[/SIZE]
Old 05-09-2006, 11:02 PM

Quote:
the corrected version Waves sent me, using the C1 Gate Mono (...) If any of you out there can get me dramatically better results using Waves Vocal Bundle or any of the standard-issue PTLE 7.1 plug-ins, I'll ...
So, actually Waves did not even do what you asked them to do! C1 is a part of Gold bundle, it is not included in the Vocal bundle.

You will probably have to do it manually. You can try to find all mouth clicks by
a) stripping silence and then listening to all starts, tweaking accordingly
b) using "tab to transient" to find clicks and then cutting them out
c) listen to it through without trying to save time and do what was suggested above
Old 05-10-2006, 05:34 AM

Its incredibly expensive, but I think this is the kind of thing you could use:
Renovator
Maybe the demo will let you use it on the problem project.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:00 PM

They did. They sent me a preset for RChannel as well. Didn't get the time to test it last night but will tonight.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:02 PM

Wow, Renovator looks like just the ticket, but our little startup could never afford it. The demo only works on three minutes at a time, so that's more trouble than it's worth.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:47 PM

Quote:
They sent me a preset for RChannel as well.
Experiment with the sidechain settings. That might do the trick for you.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:32 AM

Listening to the Wav.
I would say her head is down reading, and the saliva is collecting behind the lips. She needs to be drinking a lot more water to be a narrator. The clicks and noises are a endemic process of voice work, if someone knows what they are doing they will hear these noises in the cans as they reading. Another way of helping to reduce these noises is to supply a desktop music stand so the scripts can read as people look across. She has a very nice voice, and the xps file does seem to work ok in C1 gate, it is a long process of having to do this every time you record though? Learning curves are a fun thing are they not?