Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 11:29 PM

Default Pro Tools 7.4 works on Leopard (warning, upgrade gotcha)

Hello all

Just a quick note to say that PT 7.4 works on Leopard.

HOWEVER, I did run into an interesting problem when I went to run the upgrade. The upgrade would fail with an 'Install Failed' error. I don't know what caused the error but I did notice that the 7.3.5 version of PTMP was not in the Digidesign folder anymore. As I was now faced with possibly having to completely reinstall PT from the disks I decided to try the uninstaller that came with the 7.4 download. After running the uninstaller I then reran the 7.4 installer, it installed with no errors this time. Runs fine. I have just loaded in one of my older vocal lesson wav files and did a couple of quick edits, no problems.

One cautionary note; When 7.4 was installed I found that all of my previous session files had been wiped out. I'm not sure if this was a normal function of the uninstaller but I would advise that you copy any important session files to a separate disk that can be unmounted from the computer prior to doing your upgrade. Thankfully none of my session files were vital, they had all been completed and the mastered files had been previously off-loaded.

Ninia

Old 11-08-2007, 04:17 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 7.4 works on Leopard (warning, upgrade gotcha)

FWIW, PTMT 7.4 installed with no issues on my Mac Pro running Leopard. I did get a message that my pace files had been incorrectly installed, but after the restart, everything worked perfectly. And the installer did not delete any of my session files.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
One cautionary note; When 7.4 was installed I found that all of my previous session files had been wiped out. I'm not sure if this was a normal function of the uninstaller but I would advise that you copy any important session files to a separate disk that can be unmounted from the computer prior to doing your upgrade. Thankfully none of my session files were vital, they had all been completed and the mastered files had been previously off-loaded.

The installer should not erase any sessions. The only time an installer would erase sessions is if you mistakenly have them stored in the temporary Digidesign Databases folders that are created by the program.

Here's my cautionary note; there's a serious issue with thread prioritization in Leopard that may cause performance issues in Pro Tools (and honestly, any other program). It's why they are recommending waiting until it gets fixed. Just something to watch out for.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 11-08-2007, 06:11 PM

[/QUOTE]The installer should not erase any sessions. The only time an installer would erase sessions is if you mistakenly have them stored in the temporary Digidesign Databases folders that are created by the program.

[/QUOTE]

Ahhhh, thanks for clearing that up, that's exactly where they were being stored. (Is there a location where session files should be stored? I can't find a specific statement regarding this in the manuals)

[/QUOTE]Here's my cautionary note; there's a serious issue with thread prioritization in Leopard that may cause performance issues in Pro Tools (and honestly, any other program). It's why they are recommending waiting until it gets fixed. Just something to watch out for.

[/QUOTE]

So far I haven't experienced any problems, however I do all contract work on a Tiger Partition so that isn't a concern at this point. I maintain a separate partition for Leopard and experimenting with compatibility between various programs. The only program that I've seen behave funny was iTunes getting stuck on, and repeating, a single note when the screen blanked out. Beyond that everything has been working quite well in Leopard.

Ninia
Old 11-08-2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Ahhhh, thanks for clearing that up, that's exactly where they were being stored. (Is there a location where session files should be stored?
Anyplace but there.
Quote:
I can't find a specific statement regarding this in the manuals)
And where is the specific statement that says that's where you should store them? I'm just curious what made you think that was the place to put them.

The Digidesign Databases are temporary folders created by the program on every hard drive connected to the system, and usually are deleted when upgrading software. It is also recommended to delete them manually from time to time, as they may become corrupted. It is never recommended to store sessions there. Ever.

More information about the Digidesign Databases can be found starting on Page 7 of the DigiBase Guide (also available from the help menu in the program). THough it never explicitly says "don't put your audio sessions here", most of the information implies that these folders are for the program's use only.

It is recommended that session files be stored on a separate physical disk. That recommendation is made in the Getting Started Guide for all products, the Pro Tools Reference Guide, on every compatibility page, and every general troubleshooting recommendation.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 11-09-2007, 12:34 AM

[/QUOTE] I'm just curious what made you think that was the place to put them.

[/QUOTE]

That's easy, my rational for putting the files there was based on an assumption that the Database Engine needed the session files to be located in the Databases folder in order to 'see' those files.....okay so that turned out to be wrong <sigh>

[/QUOTE]The Digidesign Databases are temporary folders created by the program on every hard drive connected to the system, and usually are deleted when upgrading software. It is also recommended to delete them manually from time to time, as they may become corrupted. It is never recommended to store sessions there. Ever.

[/QUOTE]

So I discovered......

[/QUOTE]More information about the Digidesign Databases can be found starting on Page 7 of the DigiBase Guide (also available from the help menu in the program). THough it never explicitly says "don't put your audio sessions here", most of the information implies that these folders are for the program's use only.

It is recommended that session files be stored on a separate physical disk. That recommendation is made in the Getting Started Guide for all products, the Pro Tools Reference Guide, on every compatibility page, and every general troubleshooting recommendation.

[/QUOTE]

And I very specifically bought a separate drive for that purpose. When I mounted it and pointed a new session file at that drive I discovered that a Database folder had been created on that drive as well, which led me to think that the Database folder was the natural place for a session file. As you yourself pointed out there is no information which states not to put files there.

Thanks for pointing out where my error was. I'm happy that it wasn't a bug.

Ninia