Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 02-17-2018, 10:28 AM

Default What is "Pro Tools First" Doing?

All menus are dim?
Quit doesn't quit?

Maybe this app should be named "My First Software Program Tool" instead?

Old 02-17-2018, 11:06 AM

Default Re: What is "Pro Tools First" Doing?

Should be pretty obvious that PTF is asking you to open a session, create a new one or cancel. The menus will be unavailable until you choose one.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:09 AM

@Ben Jenssen Exactly, where would that window be to stop the session?
If I forcibly quit the app and restart it, the behavior is the same.
I have to attempt to open another session then it appears to reset itself.
Acceptable behavior? I think not.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdbirch View Post
Exactly, where would that window be to stop the session?
???

You seem to have such a attitude for someone who obviously know nothing about PT, that I'm outa here.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:35 AM

@Ben Jenssen Yes, I am a bit frustrated and yes I am just starting to use "Pro Tools First". Though it's not the first DAW I have used, but I am a beginner. It seems to be the most difficult to get started and seems to crash the most. I believe the pay version is very popular with the Pro engineers. I guess it's much better. I am taking a course and using PTF or Studio One. Studio One looks really limited so I am rolling with PTF. I am just conveying my experience to find resolution and help improve for future of PTF for beginners whom I would assume Avid would like to be future paying customers?

Thanks for your help and time, I now understand that I need open/create and start a session to set the hardware and play back engine.
Maybe, when I quit the app its was just taking a long time, it just wouldn't quit and the "quit" menu item was dimmed which is really strange.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:38 PM

Because PT First is cloud based it will try to save to the cloud when you shut down which is the reason for the delay. On the top of the mix screen there is a up arrow that if you click it , it will start the cloud update/save and gives an indication when its finished uploading. There is also an arrow on each track so you can just upload anything that's changed, in fact the track arrows will only show if you HAVE CHANGED something.If you wait for it to finish upload it will close fairly quickly . Also I have found that if you shut PT down without doing a save beforehand you will sometimes get errors and failed uploads so that your work will be lost so best to upload before shut down. As for the screenshot you uploaded its called the Dashboard and full version of PT has the option to not load the dashboard on start up , I don't know if this option is available on PT First but it should be in one of the drop down menus if it can be deselected. As for how well the program works , I used it on a modest laptop for 6 months(MSI I5)with absolutely no issues prior to upgrading to PT Vanilla(Native). So take heart, it might take some effort on your part to learn its limits but its quite useable once you learn the basics.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:31 PM

@64GTOBOY Thanks for the the cloud tips, it seems to be running pretty well now. Didn't see any menu items for the dashboard, though that doesn't mean it isn't there somewhere, there is more controls on this thing then on an aircraft carrier, I would imagine.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:33 PM

It does seem to do more than stop, go and turn!