Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 12-23-2016, 11:28 AM

Default No Pro Tools 13 for me unfortunately.

To avid, do take this as a honest critique from myself spending lots of money purchasing Your products both software and hardware in the past.

I have now fully weaned my self from using pro tools HD.
My main reason was the ridiculous high price for yearly renewal and Avid's heartless cash cow tack tics for charging/penalising extra if one did not renew before the expired date.

Vast begging of myself and others asking for Simple features example a notepad for storing song lyrics.

So so heartless to its Costumers of whom is the one who buy their products and keep them afloat.

I have come to my true senses I will never buy any more avid products and I will also encourage my associates to do the same, some of whom has done so before me.

There are a few other good DAWS out there that does the same as pro tools HD and much more plus cost less with better Costomer service and updates.

Yes life feels so so great not tied to one less string.

I wish avid audio a great 2017.

God bless.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:42 PM

Default Re: No Pro Tools 13 for me unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattootroy View Post
To avid, do take this as a honest critique from myself spending lots of money purchasing Your products both software and hardware in the past.

I have now fully weaned my self from using pro tools HD.
My main reason was the ridiculous high price for yearly renewal and Avid's heartless cash cow tack tics for charging/penalising extra if one did not renew before the expired date.

Vast begging of myself and others asking for Simple features example a notepad for storing song lyrics.

So so heartless to its Costumers of whom is the one who buy their products and keep them afloat.

I have come to my true senses I will never buy any more avid products and I will also encourage my associates to do the same, some of whom has done so before me.

There are a few other good DAWS out there that does the same as pro tools HD and much more plus cost less with better Costomer service and updates.

Yes life feels so so great not tied to one less string.

I wish avid audio a great 2017.

God bless.
I usually keep my mouth shut when I see posts like yours. I mean, there's just so many of them...

You're kind of like the people who go to a church for years to complain about how everything is done. There are a lot of churches. Find one you like and work to make it better.

You've got a lot of nerve saying 'God bless' after a passive aggressive rant like that and I for one hope you really are gone for good.

[SIZE="1"]Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB, Dual 4Tb Thunderbolt G Drives
Acer B326HUL 32" 2560 X 1440, VIZIO video monitor
Mojave 10.114.6, Pro Tools 20.3.0.163
Digital Performer 10.11, MOTU 1248 (Thunderbolt), MOTU 2408 MkII (x2), MOTU MTP AV USB (x2)

Last edited by Tim Ripley; 12-30-2016 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-29-2016, 10:57 PM

I agree completely with you Tim.

I usually take the position advocating that the only rational thing to do is to keep with the subscription at least until you're happy with what you have. But I think that Tattooboy has made the right choice. Silly me. I just use Word, or Pages, or a .pdf to keep the lyrics in the session folder. I hope he makes some great records with his new tools.

Steve
Old 12-30-2016, 01:30 AM

Well to be fair he has some valid points. That said I would be curious what he opted for instead of PT. The whole God Bless thing doesnt bother me as long as I dont have to do it before dinner cuz I get hangry. But on a serious note I get why he feels that way but I honestly dont think PT is that awful. The only smart thing Steve Ballmer ever said was that the last bug will be fixed the day the last customer dies. Its software and it will never be perfect. Im sure people bitched about tape in the day as well...
Old 12-30-2016, 02:58 AM

My annual plan expires in April 7th...so,if in those 3 whole months i don't see some positive things,i think i am jumping ship to Studio One
Old 12-30-2016, 03:31 AM

Pro Tools HD is for those can afford it and always was. It had features which made it desirable despite the cost.

These days I can do things I never imagined would have been possible directly on my native system at a fraction of the cost of my old TDM rig. All the plugins are AAX, no DSP required and have never been so affordable.

If you are a large studio, mixing films, soundtracks and such then I can see the appeal of HD. Certainly the budget is there. However, for the average music production there isn't the need or budget.

For those who have invested heavily in the Avid hardware then they are caught between a rock and a hard place. Either stick at the current version or stomach the yearly expense. The other option is to cut one's losses, sell the lot and invest in a fresh new native system and associated hardware.

On the "vanilla" side of Pro Tools we've never had it so good. I miss the days of upgrading when one chose to rather than having one's arm twisted every year. However, I'm happy to stomach the annual Avid contribution at the moment.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 12-30-2016, 06:04 AM

You'll be back! You dudes always are!

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 12-30-2016, 07:21 AM

All that for a product that doesn't exist yet! Anyway, the number 13 has a bad rap. Maybe they'll just skip 13 altogether.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:25 AM

To all of you giving this guy a hard time. You are all in the minority's. The vast majority of PT users, HD or Vanilla, all feel the same way with how Avid has handled HD users lately.

Go spend some time on Avid's Facebook page.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 12-30-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
To all of you giving this guy a hard time. You are all in the minority's. The vast majority of PT users, HD or Vanilla, all feel the same way with how Avid has handled HD users lately.

Go spend some time on Avid's Facebook page.
Amen. The amount of frustration one must be going through to sell an HD system should not be taken lightly. I've been where this poster is and it isn't fun.

Nobody buys HD in hopes of dropping it for something else.

Not a one.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.