Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2013, 11:29 AM

Default Pro Tools 11 and EZdrummer

I am relatively new to Pro Tools, having a problem with my new EZdrummer software. It seemed to be "playing nice" with Pro Tools 11: I can add EZdrummer in a stereo track and the track levels read the "sound" of the drumkit. However, when I initialize the transport to actually record, I just get a "flatline" on the read out graph and, of course, nothing upon playback. What am I possibly doing wrong? Please excuse my jargon, I am pretty new to Pro Tools and computing. I will say that y'all are always a great and encouraging help. Patiently awaiting any and all feedback concerning my latest matter. Thank you in advance!
Old 12-07-2013, 12:09 PM

What mode is Track>Input only/auto input monitoring in? Toggle it and if that is it then go read the Pro Tools reference guide about what that does. Answer the following clearly if that is not it...

What exactly are you trying to record? Audio? Midi? Do you mean record to the instrument track EZ drummer is on or other tracks? Do you mean Record the audio out of EZ Drummer to another track? Are you record arming the actual tracks you want to record as well as putting the transport in record mode? Post a screenshot of your Pro Tools edit window showing as much detail as possible. Including IO assignments.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Space Cabin Audio

Default Re: Pro Tools 11 and EZdrummer

You are placing EZ on an audio track. It needs to be on a stereo Instrument Track.

Kris
May the music move you
Old 12-07-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris75 View Post
You are placing EZ on an audio track. It needs to be on a stereo Instrument Track.
OK, I switched it to stereo Instrument Track. Still no success. Yes, the track is record enabled as well as the transport set to record. I am simply trying to record a drum track from EZdrummer directly onto a track in Pro Tools. How do I know if is Audio or Midi? Will try to post a screen shot ASAP.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:50 PM

Attached is screenshot as requested, hoping it is detailed enough... If not, please tell me what to add. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xmas.jpg (75.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-07-2013, 02:53 PM

Have you setup your output so you can hear anything? and what is your options there?

Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-07-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwnthbttns View Post
Attached is screenshot as requested, hoping it is detailed enough... If not, please tell me what to add. Thanks!
Trying to record the audio out of ezdrummer onto this track.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Have you setup your output so you can hear anything? and what is your options there?

Christopher
I can hear the drum track while ezdrummer plays it and I record. I can see the line level on the track. I get nothing in the actual recorded track area (it fills in blue, no graphing like I would normally see when I record a track...). Totally confused. The options for out are ezdrummer 1 and ezdrummer 2, I can set it for each of those options and still have the same problem.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:20 PM

Instrument tracks do not record audio. They record midi, with sound provided by a plugin VI(like EZdrummer) or an external sound source(any midi synth or sound module) that is assigned to the audio inputs of the track(Instrument tracks are confusing for those that are new to this stuff).

Let's start over from nothing. (youtube tutorials will be a big help). EEZdrummer is a virtual instrument and requires MIDI info before it can make any sound. You can record MIDI with a controller(like a midi keyboard or E-drum kit). You can "drop" midi notes onto the Instrument track(select VIEW to Notes), or you can listen to the loops inside EZdrummer, and drag them onto the Instrument track. Once you have MIDI notes on the track, they will "play" the sounds in the plugin. You do not need to record audio at this point.

If you WANT to record the audio, then you have more choices to make. First, do you want a stereo track of drums, or do you want each drum on its own audio track? Both of these CAN be done, but for now, I suggest you keep things simple and "learn to walk before you run" For simple stereo, you can set the output of the Instrument track to a pair of buses and record to an AUDIO track(with the input set to the same bus pair). To record individual tracks, you need to open the EZdrummer mixer and re-assign the outputs for each sound. The create audio tracks and set their inputs to the plugin outputs(once again, youtube or the toontrack website so you can see how its done).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-07-2013, 03:22 PM

An instrument track records MIDI and outputs audio from the VI insert. If you want to record the output as audio you need to send the output of the instrument track (produced by EZ drummer) to an audio track. You can set the output of the instrument track to a bus and then use that bus as input on a new audio track. Or you can use a send to a bus. You should read the manual on busses and sends to really understand this stuff.