Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 11-17-2017, 08:32 PM

Default Anomaly HD Native vs HDX

I'll attempt to explain this as best as I can. I've been mixing a feature Doc on an HDX system and decided to port the project over to my HD Native system as an experiment to do a check and i've come across something that makes no sense at all.

Basically the Master Meter's on the 5.1 and 2.0 busses don't read at the same levels on HDX versus HD Native Hardware how's this even possible??!!

I have a Master 5.1 bus and 2.0 Downmix bus both have meters that read identical on HD Native ( but my overall mix is hot by 3 dB on the native system) however on HDX Rig the 5.1 Meter reads that I'm on target but the 2.0 Downmix reads 3 dB hot. In addition the downmix which is being fed via the 5.1 master bus will not show the same peak limit spec that the HD Native system shows..

OMG WTF is this?

has anyone ever seen this or experienced this before.

to re-cap, according to the HD native system I'm 3 dB hot but the 2 stems match identically with LKFS and True peak reading,,, HDX shows 5.1 on Target but 2.0 is 3dB hot with a true peak above spec..
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0007185/
coryrizos.com
Old 11-17-2017, 09:46 PM

Default Re: Anomaly HD Native vs HDX

Super obvious questions (sorry). Are meter types the same, same time constant and same offset?

You are mixing so hopefully nothing being monitored or no low-latency monitoring causing plugins to be disabled anywhere on HDN (just make sure low latency monitoring is disabled)....
Old 11-17-2017, 09:49 PM

Are your meters between the two systems set to the same ballistics (right-click on meter)? Do you have any actual metering plugins to check your audio (Izotope Insight, Nugen, etc.)?
Old 11-17-2017, 11:04 PM

Pan law setting, is it the same on both systems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2017, 07:19 AM

i looked at all the scenarios you pointed too and non correspond. Both systems are set up IDENTICAL. The only thing I can guess at is DSP vs Native based plug-in as the culprit.

(BTW there is NO SUCH THING as LOW Latenecy monitoring on HDX it's a DSP based system so that feature doesn't exist as on Native systems. Delay comp exists on both)

whats really interesting I was doing the same experiment on a Native based station at facility in the same building a few weeks back and the other mixer who works on the HDX system was saying a similar thing where his 2.0 and 5.1 weren,t LKFS matched with the same config as I was describing .So i had him come into my room and i set up a session on the native rig ( as I always do ) and the native system shows identical LKFS readings yet on the HDX this doesnt happen

whatever man... seems to me HDX is a piece of crap.. runs outta DSP real fast and uses way more voices than native systems. But i'm stuck dealing with this headache right now.
coryrizos.com
Old 11-18-2017, 07:38 AM

So here's what I did that appears to have fixed the issue on the HDX system. I converted all DSP based plugins on te Busses to NATIVE and voila! INSANE
coryrizos.com
Old 11-18-2017, 09:21 AM

What AAX-DSP plugins are (were) you using? Maybe only one of them was the culprit.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:51 PM

So which system is “correct”? Or are they both wrong in different ways.

Rob Burrell
Aka mixboy

PTHD Ultimate/Eucon (latest betas) / Mac Studio Ultra 128GB RAM / Aja T-Tap / Sonnet M.2 4x4 PCIe 8TB / Focusrite 16Line / MTRX Studio / UAD Octo / 32 channel S1 & Dock (5) 2019 Fire HD 10 / Dolby Atmos 9.1.4 /Mastering Suite / 13.0 Sony 360RA
Old 11-20-2017, 10:41 AM

I think you'll find, that a lot of the DSP versions of AAX Plugins, although they SHOULD be 32Bit-Floating Point (and thereby almost un-clippable), you'll find that a substantial number of plugins do NOT pass through signals above 0dBfs, and sometimes behave quite differently than their AAX Native counterparts especially when functioning inside the Native Mixer environment.

Does anyone else have the same experiences with this?
Old 11-20-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixchump View Post
I think you'll find, that a lot of the DSP versions of AAX Plugins, although they SHOULD be 32Bit-Floating Point (and thereby almost un-clippable), you'll find that a substantial number of plugins do NOT pass through signals above 0dBfs, and sometimes behave quite differently than their AAX Native counterparts especially when functioning inside the Native Mixer environment.

Does anyone else have the same experiences with this?
Could you name these plugins? I haven't seen this issues.
I can check if I got them.