Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2008, 04:44 PM

Default External or Internal Drive for Structure Samples

I just wanted to get some opinions on what kind of drive you guys would recomend for saving samples/sound sets on a dedicated drive for structure samples.

What brand would you get?
What connection would you use (eSATA or Firewire) or does it not matter?

Thanks guys,
Jason
Old 04-09-2008, 09:16 PM

Default Re: External or Internal Drive for Structure Samples

eSATA over FW. For Structure Factory Content, samples should be internal, something about the Structure Database functionality. And anything between 10,000 and 15,000 RPM for Disk Streaming.

filosofem
Old 04-10-2008, 09:06 AM

Thanks Filosfem...so what you mean is that the sounds that came with Structure (full version) should stay on an internal drive but any other samples I import/use can be on an external drive (using eSATA and the RPM you listed)?

Any specific models better than others?

Thanks again,
Jason
Old 04-10-2008, 08:08 PM

Hi Jason

Let me clarify, there have been issues with the Structure Database that users have reported and although this hasn't been confirmed by Digi, the database issue looks like it's caused by the use of external HDD's, namely across FW because I haven't heard anyone using eSATA.

Ummm... you need to keep this in consideration, I mean, I can't just go and say sure go external knowing full well that this could cause Structure to not function as desired.

The problem with eSATA is you're giving up an internal SATA port and unless you're running some sort of Port Multiplier Solution you've achieved nothing. Bandwidth would be an issue also, though, greater than FW 400/800 still four or five HDD's across a single Host SATA Port could cause bottlenecks. Though, for reading and writing of Pro Tools sessions this mightn't be an issue.

I know exactly where you're coming from, I'm currently in the same boat and I'm thinking, stream internal, write external (FW 400/800).

My advice, do lot's of research, cause I am too! Maybe we can compare notes.

Also watch your Chipsets.

filosofem
Old 04-11-2008, 11:50 AM

I have all my structure and goliath content on an external 800 FW with no problems at all

Denis

Mac Pro 3.3 hexacore
24 gb RAM
Lion
PT 10 HD Native
Old 04-11-2008, 01:01 PM

Really. That's quite useful information Denis. There was a couple of guys in another thread saying that as soon as they moved their sample content to internal drives the Structure Database would function as normal.

How did you go about installing these to your FW 800 drive? You have both libraries on the same drive? Do you use DFD (Direct from Disk) or load content to RAM? Do you offset latency (oh, hang-on HD3 - Delay Compensation).

filosofem
Old 04-12-2008, 06:57 AM

I have all my samples including the library that came with Structure free on a dedicated internal SATA-II drive running off the SATA PCI card that my audio recording drive is also connected to. My machine now has 4 internal drives in it. So far so good!
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Ableton Live 10/Presonus Studio 3
Old 04-21-2008, 11:20 AM

Wow, I would love to know how you got this working as I have been having nothing but structure library recognition problems since day one. Are there any particular prefs that need trashing, love some feedback on this.

thanks.

-ken
Old 04-22-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I have all my structure and goliath content on an external 800 FW with no problems at all

Denis
I'm trying to replicate this arrangement, having copied Structure & Goliath libraries to a FW800 drive. I have not been able, however, to correctly establish the paths to those libraries in Structure's Content tab, in order that Structure see those samples. In short, I can't load any of those samples into Structure, and none of Structure's drop-down lists show the sounds. Structure saw all samples as expected when the libraries resided on the internal system drive, before moving the libraries to the FW800 drive.

Would you kindly offer your file/folder architecture on your external sample library drive that Structure accepts?

Many thanks,

John-