Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Transitioning visiting engineers to the D Control, to USE IT

Just curious if anyone else sets their D control up to " be an SSL" as a default. Or, defaults to certain plugs/auxes across the board.

I'm trying to transition the visiting AE's as quickly as possible to the D control ( most are coming from SSL back grounds).

Some of these AE's have limited to NO PT knowledge, so I'm trying to find the best way to bring them up to speed, with a simple and repeatable workflow/training path in mind.

I'm comfortable grabbing the mouse, but becoming more comfortable with the D control daily, but i see that there is indeed a learning curve.. I suppose im looking for a starting point, so______

I've built a 24 track session, with a few auxes for FX and VCA faders, and will cover in the first sit down, hopefully in a couple hours:

Basic understanding of focus/selection.

how to navigate the vca/aux fader views.

How to instantiate plugins ( but I'll start with an SSL EQ default, ct4 comp, and digi rack gate on all channels, just for demo purposes, most of these guys are still outboard heavy slanted)

Transport control

cycling of the EQ dynamics dedicate encoders.

Basic automation of volume,pan,and mute.

I really wish Digi, or someone would put micro tutorials out for the D Control... an index them ( may start doing this myself)

Would anyone be interested in creating a tips and tricks Quicktime tutorial vid archive on say, Youtube?

I'm thinking of starting by doing the above, and breaking them into little 1-2 min snips.. I'd think with guys like CLambrechts here, we could amass a nice little knowledge base?

or, is someone doing a vid/dvd as type this?

We run a very hybrid rig ( 46 ch of outboard goodies that show up in the inserts drop down) and have seen the power of the D Control, but have yet to be able to get some mixers over the initial hump, with short turnaround, ever shrinking budgets, they really don't want to shoot a day or three getting comfy, they want to mix. I'd like to lessen that learning curve.

Way to many guys come in ( music ) and tap even a tiny percentage of what this beast will do.... such a shame!

thoughts?
Old 09-27-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Transitioning visiting engineers to the D Control, to US

I'm not sure if visiting engineers with an SSL background and little Pro Tools skills could walk right in and do a concentrated mix with the correct side of the brain at work. I know I was initially so into learning the desk that the music probably suffered because I was teaching myself improved workflows and concentrating maybe too hard on that.

I'd love to see some videos on how other guys work with the D-Control, not to learn it because I know my way around it pretty well, but to see if others' alternative workflows are better than mine - as I'm sure many of them are.

For example - I used to leave the desk almost permanently in "Focus" mode but after some comments from a visiting Digi rep I changed my mind and now leave it almost always in "Select" mode and focus channels with <shift-control> select. There's pros and cons for both methods, but it would be good to see how others do things.

The automation tools are now so powerful that I'm sure there's a bunch of different approaches people use. It would be useful to share that sort of info.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:17 AM

Default Re: Transitioning visiting engineers to the D Control, to USE IT

I found that unlearning my non-Icon method of mousing thru Pro Tools was the biggest obstacle to increasing my workflow. The real brilliance of the D-Control's design and implimentation shows thru after repeated uses - and this does take repeated "exposures" to the D-Control, not something that is easily learned in one or two uses. I am now 6 months into owning my D-Control, and in spite of using it daily, I continue to find newer, better ways of customizing my workflow.

I'm friendly with a couple of people at Digi, and my comments regarding the D-Control usually center around "you need to get more of these babies into the hands of engineers who will get exposed to them on a consistent basis". What does happen is that more and more engineers (who use Pro Tools regularly, but not with an Icon), continue to use the Icon system with a mouse, and don't have the time or opportunity within a session to explore the wealth of features that the D-Control offers. So, unfortunately, their impression of the Icon becomes "overpriced mouse" or "you spent how much for this?!?".

The idea of a D-Control "cheat sheet", whether video or otherwise, is a valid one, and certainly one I'd be happy to contribute to. I would encourage Digi to work with us on this, as we are probably the best advocates for their product.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I found that unlearning I'm friendly with a couple of people at Digi, and my comments regarding the D-Control usually center around "you need to get more of these babies into the hands of engineers who will get exposed to them on a consistent basis". What does happen is that more and more engineers (who use Pro Tools regularly, but not with an Icon), continue to use the Icon system with a mouse, and don't have the time or opportunity within a session to explore the wealth of features that the D-Control offers. So, unfortunately, their impression of the Icon becomes "overpriced mouse" or "you spent how much for this?!?".

The idea of a D-Control "cheat sheet", whether video or otherwise, is a valid one, and certainly one I'd be happy to contribute to. I would encourage Digi to work with us on this, as we are probably the best advocates for their product.
When we first went to Firehouse in pasadena to check out the D control ( they were very kind to let the digi guys demo for us there) I polled the assistant/house AE's there about the D control usage, and at THAT time, they frankly admitted that most of the guys coming in and using the room, used AT MOST the faders to do some rides, but that most of the time was spent mousing... just no time given work to be done, to be in learning mode.

So, well said Glenn, and exactly why, when our Icon room comes onine next month, i'll be aggressively GIVING the time needed to new AE's to get them comfortable. I really see no other way to do it. I really think the power of this rig cannot be experienced in less than a couple days of continuous use. And that's just on a basic level. None of the folks I want coming through have that kinda time to waste on a paying client---so: Having a indexed folder with little Qtime movies that take the user through the HOW, but also the WHY you would want to set up say, a VCA ( and show how to spill etc, what button to push) would make it so much easier for the new operator to reinforce their skills.

I'll go ahead and throw up a myspace page as a place to congregate and upload some tutorial type stuff.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:51 PM

[quoteI'll go ahead and throw up a myspace page as a place to congregate and upload some tutorial type stuff.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Cajonezzz,

This is a fantastic idea for bigger studios to get AEs open to ICON functionality and get them in there working. I think the usefulness transcends just the big guys though and such tutorials help all levels keep up with the new paradigm that the ICON offers. I'm surprised no third party, or Digi have addressed this need yet. The ICON training is frankly way too expensive for most, and user initiated youtube tutorials may be our best option right now. I'm just starting to learn my D-Command, but once I have a good handle I'll be more than willing to contribute...

Peace,
Lohit
FlyVibes Studios
Old 10-02-2007, 01:21 AM

here it is: http://www.myspace.com/digidesigniconusersgroup

I'll try to gather some content at AES this week--

If anyone would like to put something up, just hit me on this myspace, and i'll plug a link to wherever you choose to put the video.

I'll start a blog comment for tips as well.

get to filming!

cz
Old 10-22-2007, 08:29 AM

I haven't done NUTTIN yet. sorry folks. Just busy as can be-- hopefully next week. Again, anyone that wants to post a clip, just ping me at the myspace.

gotta go pack and get ready to evacuate. Damn fires.

arggggh....