Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2003, 10:53 AM

Default controlling the motif through midi

Anyone know how to control the Yamaha Motif using protools as the master controller? If so what are the settings on both the motif and protools?
Old 12-04-2003, 06:09 AM

Default Re: controlling the motif through midi

I'd be interested as well.

CrossFire Studios
Old 12-04-2003, 12:10 PM

Anyone has this setup?
Old 12-04-2003, 02:14 PM

Maybe if the question was more specific somebody would respond.

Old 12-04-2003, 02:51 PM

you want to be able to hit play in the transport window and have it play the motif right?
if not rephrase the question..
Old 12-04-2003, 03:01 PM

I have answered this question so many times, I don't care to remember anymore. I don't have a Motif but the process works the same for any keyboard. Assuming you meant to say that you want to use PTLE as the master, take the midi out of the Motif to the midi in of the 002 (I assume that's your hardware), and midi out of the 002 into the midi in of the Motif. This requires midi cables.

In PTLE, make sure midi thru and Midi Beat Clock is enabled.

Take the audio outs of the Motif and plug them into a pair of inputs on the 002. Set up a stereo aux track in the mix window and assign the input of the aux track to the same input as the audio input. Create a midi track, record enable the track, play something on the Motif and you should be able to hear the Motif, provided the Motif is set up correctly.

Not being familiar with the Motif (I do have an old Yamaha sound module), I can say AFAIK that all synths need to be in sequence mode to use all 16 midi tracks, you will need to ensure local control is set to off, that the global midi channel (or some such term) is set to 1 and that midi clock is set to external.

When done right, this should allow you to control the Motif from PTLE and use the Motif to record into PTLE.

BTW: In the future, please post what Digdesign equipment you're using, since I'm not familiar with the process for midi interfaces (a MBox would need a midi interface, although the process should be similiar).

Hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:03 AM

Im using the digi002, w/protools 6. I want to use the digi 002 as a master controller so I can control the motifs transport and have my recordings synch. I dont want to record midi notes, just audio. When using the digi to control my mpc I go to the session setup and set the frame rate to 30 and use mtc so I make sure that option is checked. Then I set the mpc to 30 fps also and that works with out a problem for me! I know how to connect everything up physically as far as midi cables are concerned. I am having a problem configuring my motif settings properly to communicate with the digi002 through mtc. I would like to know the proper settings to do this for either mtc or midi with the motif and the digi002? i have also succesfully synched my motif with my mpc using the mpc as the master with midi. But had problems doing it with mtc. But for some reason with connections from the motif to the digi002 I could not get either (midi or mtc) to work. I hope that was clear enough.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:00 PM

"In PTLE, make sure midi thru and Midi Beat Clock is enabled.
Not being familiar with the Motif (I do have an old Yamaha sound module), I can say AFAIK that all synths need to be in sequence mode to use all 16 midi tracks, you will need to ensure local control is set to off, that the global midi channel (or some such term) is set to 1 and that midi clock is set to external."

I thought that with the motif the global midi channel options only applies to voice and perfomance modes. The midi channels are selected on a track by track basis in the 2 sequence modes (pattern & song).
When you are doing this are you in pattern or song mode? Are you using mtc or midi clock?
From my understanding you cannot use mtc with with pattern mode on the motif, only song mode. It will not work.
When you do this do you make any changes in the Session Setup menu on Protools?
Old 12-05-2003, 04:05 PM

My response was assuming you wanted to actually record midi data with PTLE as the master, not the Motif. It sounds like you want the Motif to start its sequencer where you already have midi data recorded, and have PTLE control the Motif's transport. I believe this should be possible, but it's not my current set up. I don't have a MPC but from what I've read about it, it sounds like it's a hardware sequencer with sounds. I don't know nothing about no frames stuff.

"I thought that with the motif the global midi channel options only applies to voice and perfomance modes." The global midi channel is a Korg term. In my set up with PTLE as the master, no sound was produced unless the global midi channel was set to 1. I would assume the Motif has something similiar. It should be something on like a 'general settings page'.
"The midi channels are selected on a track by track basis in the 2 sequence modes (pattern & song). When you are doing this are you in pattern or song mode? Are you using mtc or midi clock?" Just to clarify, whichever mode (song or pattern) allows you access to all 16 midi tracks is the mode I would use. I can't be more specific not owning a Motif (but surely someone out there knows this). I use Midi Beat Clock under the midi menu in PTLE.
Again, this is from the point of view of using PTLE as the master, which is not what you have said you want to accomplish.

I have seen this type of problem before and always advise doing everything with PTLE. You can do what you want but you need to start with the sequence in PTLE, and just use the Motif to record into PTLE. You can make a midi file of your sequences from the Motif and MPC (if needed) and import them into a PTLE session and control both sound sources (the Motif and MPC) with PTLE. Really, PTLE's timing is more accurrate than any keyboard or hardware sequencer.

I'm sure there's a way to have your set up, your way and have tried it once (never did get it working right) but once I discovered PTLE had better timing, I made PTLE the master.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:35 AM

Thanks. Has anyone else tried this setup?