Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 06-04-2017, 09:24 AM

Default Cubase and Protools

Recently I have been looking into better ways for my workflow.

I have been a loyal Protools owner since it's inception as well as MOTU Digital Performer. I may actually pick up a copy of Cubase and insert it into my workflow this summer as a test. I love PT a lot now, but see not a lot of progress with midi and so sometimes I am forced to use DP, which I grew up with. I am a working pro, starting a series this year and want to have the best I can offer to my clients and ease my scheduling. I have always felt that PT is a mix desk and sounds the best. That's why I think people like Zimmer and "especially" Junkie XL use Cubase as a master and then slave Protools to Cubase to send stems to. It's an interesting idea. I see more of my colleagues that are using Cubase. I just did a feature where I had to get Protools over to a mix room that was Steinberg Nuendo and saw a lot of great things in that program also. Again, I am not planning to leave Protools, but it's like a toolbox for me. You use what works for the gig. I even use Live 9 a bunch with certain writing that I need to adapt quickly for a cue. I also have Logic, but not using as much.

Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Here is a thread I just found about Cubase vs Protools that is recent to get things started at the top of the linked page: https://www.reddit.com/r/audioengine...ottom-comments

Protools 2019.6 Ultimate HD Native Thunderbolt Avid HD IO
Mac Pro 3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 64GB of Ram
OSX Mojave 10.14.6, Digital Performer 9.5, Logic Pro X 10.4.6
Old 06-04-2017, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Cubase and Protools

I wanted to ad that I do hope that Avid is really going to improve midi workflow in the future, which would really be helpful in all of our work in the industry.
G

Old 06-04-2017, 11:18 AM

I use mostly PT but also well verse in CB9 and DP9 as i collaborate with a few composers who use them. What are some of the must-have midi features you feel that's missing in PT?
Old 06-04-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudoo View Post
I use mostly PT but also well verse in CB9 and DP9 as i collaborate with a few composers who use them. What are some of the must-have midi features you feel that's missing in PT?
I will compile some thoughts, but there are a few on IdealScale. It also seems to be a go to organization tool with LESS crashes in general. That's the thing I have been seeing a lot about with bigger projects. The one I see with PT is after I bounce a file, if I don't wait for about 20 sec. before I do another task, I will get either a crash or a CPU spike. This is something that has been plaguing PT for a while now. I stayed on 12.6.1 to avoid some issue which others seem to be having in PT 12.7.1 and 12.7. Hopefully the will get sorted out. I may not update, but will continue to research this with some colleagues. I do final mixing here also as well as primarily being a composer and sound designer.
Purchasing some new Barefoot micro mini27's soon to work along side my 5.1 room with Genelec 1032A's of which I have 5 of them and looking forward to the expansion of the 7.1.2 ad 9 surround capabilities and dolby atmos. That is a hopeful change for me and wanting to stay with PT at this point. LOVE the Protools platform, but want more features, which have not really changed and it they did, it's been a slow process. ex. offline bounce which has been a feature in Cubase and DP forever. G

Old 06-04-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudoo View Post
How would you compare DP9 and Cubase 9 since you mentioned you use them. Obviously you see a value in that. My point is to have more in Protools.

G

Old 06-04-2017, 12:15 PM

I've recently got Cubase with a similar intention. Unfortunately I've not found a satisfactory way of syncing the two together on the same Mac, at least not one that is stable. My plan was to sequence MIDI in Cubase whilst recording/editing audio tracks and mixing the audio outs of VE Pro and various VIs in Pro Tools.

Running Cubase on the same Mac as Pro Tools is a non-starter. Syncing the two via IAC just isn't going to happen reliably in my experience.

It gets really complicated really quickly, especially if you try to integrate VE Pro running on an external sample server PC.

I may look at it again in the future but I would want to connect everything via MADI and run Cubase on a separate computer to Pro Tools. In this case, Pro Tools would simply act as a mixing console and stem recorder. It's my guess this is how Zimmer, Harry Gregson Williams etc. are doing it. That seems like a LOT of expense and complexity just to use Cubase's MIDI editor.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:15 PM

I ve used protools for 7 years.only protools.then i moved to cubase and now using cubase for arranging and protools for mixing and mastering...cubase is the best for music production and protools is the best for mixing and mastering... the equation=cubase+protools 🤗

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
I wanted to ad that I do hope that Avid is really going to improve midi workflow in the future, which would really be helpful in all of our work in the industry.
G
+1. But PT started out as a tape machine replacement, and Cubase started as a midi sequencer. PT has always downplayed midi, and has remained the leader in audio. Cubase has always been superlative midi-wise. Honestly, I don't see PT midi ever approaching Cubase's midi capabilities and ease of use. Some improvement would be welcome though. It's long overdue.

Mind you , it's not just the midi presentation. That would be absolutely worthless if PT still hates VI's the way it does...It's got to learn to love them if it wants to do midi properly.
X99 | i7 5820 | 64GB GSkill DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 950 | Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Kingston 120GB SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 1TB | Samsung MZ7PD256HAFV-000H7 SSD 256GB | WD Black 1TB x2 | G-Drive 4TB | Audient ID14 | PT12.8.1 | Windows 10 Pro
Old 06-04-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
+1. But PT started out as a tape machine replacement, and Cubase started as a midi sequencer. PT has always downplayed midi, and has remained the leader in audio. Cubase has always been superlative midi-wise. Honestly, I don't see PT midi ever approaching Cubase's midi capabilities and ease of use. Some improvement would be welcome though. It's long overdue.

Mind you , it's not just the midi presentation. That would be absolutely worthless if PT still hates VI's the way it does...It's got to learn to love them if it wants to do midi properly.
I don't think it's quite as simple as Cubase being superior for MIDI and Pro Tools better for audio. That's the old convention but in some respects, PT's MIDI editor is superior to the one in Cubase and is better than Logic's period. I find the constant tool switching in Cubase and Logic's MIDI editors a PITA. PT is far slicker and faster. Cubase does have some killer MIDI features, especially if you're working with orchestral samples. Track Folders, Expression Maps the way MIDI CC data can be edited are wonderful but not enticing enough for me to set up a whole separate computer and buy lots of expensive MADI interfacing. I certainly wouldn't want to work with audio in Cubase and Ableton Live is far superior for sound design, looping and creative sampling.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
I don't think it's quite as simple as Cubase being superior for MIDI and Pro Tools better for audio. That's the old convention but in some respects, PT's MIDI editor is superior to the one in Cubase and is better than Logic's period. I find the constant tool switching in Cubase and Logic's MIDI editors a PITA. PT is far slicker and faster. Cubase does have some killer MIDI features, especially if you're working with orchestral samples. Track Folders, Expression Maps the way MIDI CC data can be edited are wonderful but not enticing enough for me to set up a whole separate computer and buy lots of expensive MADI interfacing. I certainly wouldn't want to work with audio in Cubase and Ableton Live is far superior for sound design, looping and creative sampling.
I don't see PT's MIDI editor superiority. Agreed, the smart tool is great, but needs some more improvement. There are times I have to get out of the smart tool in order to carry out certain basic operations.
X99 | i7 5820 | 64GB GSkill DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 950 | Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Kingston 120GB SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 1TB | Samsung MZ7PD256HAFV-000H7 SSD 256GB | WD Black 1TB x2 | G-Drive 4TB | Audient ID14 | PT12.8.1 | Windows 10 Pro