Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2009, 05:59 PM

Default Hooking v-drums up to Strike?

After using Strike for a while I can now safely say i'm completely over real drums, setting them up, micing them up and sorting placement, conditioning the room sound, tracking them, and all the rest... especially considering i end up sound replacing most of the hits anyway to get that 'metal' sound.

I've now got a session drummer on board that also has a Roland V-Drum kit, so i'm keen to throw real drums to the curb and work out how to get this new alternative up and pumping.

Before I get him to bring the kit in, i'm wanting a 'connecting v-drums 101' so we can hit the ground running. Can anyone tell me the process of getting v-drums into Strike and heard thru my monitors? Any pointers are much appreciated
Old 04-15-2009, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Hooking v-drums up to Strike?

Unless something has changed recently with the way Roland does the hi hat on the v-drum, it is going to be a challenge for you. The V-drums HH are not mapped F#1 (closed), A#1 (open). It's a continuous controller thing so there is complete variation from tight closed to full open. There are some software drum products out there that properly map the V-drums. I'm pretty sure Strike is not one of them.

Busch.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:46 AM

Here's a nice little video that shows Ocean Way drums mapped to the V-Drum Hit Hat. It give you a good idea of the complexity of sound you're dealing with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS0-29tyT-A

Busch.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:24 AM

I am very interested if you have any success with the vdrums and Strike. I am going to pick up the VI either way, but would really dig it if I could use the kit with it.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:58 AM

I use the TD20bk kit in our studio. I recently started using strike but as with the td20 kit I have recorded midi and then used the 8 outputs from the TD20.

What I found really cool is to record the midi then break it out and play it back through the TD20 to isolate and adjust each piece of the drum kit.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:57 PM

So I need to sort out the different zones on the hi-hats (and cymbals in general i'm guessing). I'm guessing I need to map this prior to tracking or the hat hit information will be simplified to one channel - is that what'll happen? Or can I adjust this after the fact during mixdown?