Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 11-17-2015, 04:02 AM

Default Fade In -> Midi Track

Hallo community. I wanted to Fade In my Midi track, the same way we do with audio track. But for Midi track, I don't see the square block at the corner, though I'm in smart mode. I can accomplish by adjusting the velocity, but I have to edit a lot of notes for that... Can somebody give me advice???????
Old 11-17-2015, 05:57 AM

Default Re: Fade In -> Midi Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by senenami View Post
Hallo community. I wanted to Fade In my Midi track, the same way we do with audio track. But for Midi track, I don't see the square block at the corner, though I'm in smart mode. I can accomplish by adjusting the velocity, but I have to edit a lot of notes for that... Can somebody give me advice???????
MIDI fades don't get done the same way audio fades do and that's where you're getting confused. Smart mode has nothing to do with it. Adjusting velocity is open way but that will also change the timbre of the sound. The best way is to draw in or add MIDI cc7 volume control messages. I suggest reading the manual for how to do that.

QAPLA!
Old 11-17-2015, 12:24 PM

I'm sorry I'm still picking up things... Can you tell me how can I "Draw In" in instrument tracks. Also I googled cc7 volume control message. Is it the same as volume automation? Thanks for your input.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry I'm still picking up things... Can you tell me how can I "Draw In" in instrument tracks. Also I googled cc7 volume control message. Is it the same as volume automation? Thanks for your input.
You haven't said what the MIDI track is playing. Is the MIDI out assigned to some external Synth? Or is it playing a virtual instrument? If the former, then simply record the audio as is, and then do a fade in on the audio track. If the latter, then do the same thing on the VI volume fader. You can easily automate all that. See manual for setting up automation lanes. Also, there's tons of how to vids on Youtube and other places showing how to do this.
IntelCore i7 CPU 920@2.67GHz
Pro Tools 2018.12
Focusrite Scarlett 8i6

Old 11-17-2015, 08:15 PM

To fade midi/instrument tracks, I show audio volume and use the mouse to drop some breakpoints and create a fade(which will be produced by the track fader). BTW, for me, all midi resides on Instrument tracks. Often I will print the audio(bus the Instrument track to an Audio track and record, OR solo the Instrument track>Bounce to Disk and Import back into the session>double-check to see if the audio needs to be nudged into perfect alignment with the original source>once it IS, I will usually do a Hide and Make Inactive on the original Instrument track. Now I have an Audio track that I can treat as usual(with all the smart-tool functions)

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-18-2015, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
You haven't said what the MIDI track is playing. Is the MIDI out assigned to some external Synth? Or is it playing a virtual instrument? If the former, then simply record the audio as is, and then do a fade in on the audio track. If the latter, then do the same thing on the VI volume fader. You can easily automate all that. See manual for setting up automation lanes. Also, there's tons of how to vids on Youtube and other places showing how to do this.
That's the best way - do it in the audio domain although the op asked about doing it while still in MIDI. Although if he's playing it in live then he could use a volume pedal from his MIDI controller to write cc7 messages to the MIDI track.

QAPLA!
Old 11-19-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Here, I have a tutorial for that. It will publish Saturday but you can view it now if you wish.

Pro Tools - Fade In/Out with MIDI and Other Automation Tips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNpBI-11_xQ
Old 11-19-2015, 05:15 PM

Link appears to be private.
:)
Old 11-20-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmattps View Post
Link appears to be private.
:)
Oops, I thought it would let people through early. Sorry. I went ahead and published early, link is active now

Old 12-28-2015, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Oops, I thought it would let people through early. Sorry. I went ahead and published early, link is active now

Good stuff, any disadvantages in terms of quality when you commit midi to a wav file when tracking?