Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 11-09-2002, 08:35 PM

Default Changing Bar/Measure number (not Start Time)

I've scoured the manual,but I can't seem to find where you can change the bar number against time code. I need to change where bar one occurs, without changing the Session Start Time. This is because I am using captured Video that starts well before where I wish to begin writing. Therefore, the Session Start Time is 00:45:00:00 and I would like bar 1 to start at 01:00:00:00 (or for that matter anywhere I am able to spot video and wish to start a Cue) Anybody able to help me? I remember a friend showed me this at some point in the past and it was not a difficult proceedure. Any hints would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Many thanks in advance!
Old 11-09-2002, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Changing Bar/Measure number (not Start Time)

I'm not in front of my ProTools rig right now, but I just used this feature on every song of the 12 I just finished on a project.

It's in the MIDI menu and there is a "change bar number" or something, and you literally type in which bar you want to be bar one.

You may have to fiddle around with a tempo change before your first bar if bar one has to fall on a specific SMPTE number. Somebody else may have more for you in the area of time code matching bar numbers.
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor
Old 11-09-2002, 10:40 PM

Thanks rtcstudio, I really do appreciate the reply. I've been searching this forum and it appears that someone asked this question back in 2000, and no one ever replied to the poor soul!!

I just purchased my HD rig a few months ago and your help is really appreciated!

This is a real butt buster, because...

Unfortunately, this process is the way I'm dealing with the issue right now with less than desirable results. It makes it nearly impossible to spot video (jogging on or between a frame or two)and beginning a cue on an exact time address. Dividing tempos to slip a bar forward or backward (neccesitating the checking of results with each and every tempo change) is an archaic, unaccurate (and if I may say simply autrocious) way of approaching this issue (please understand I'm not faulting you with this and it really was a great suggestion!)... I simply can't believe that Digi would have had the oversight of missing this important issue. It seems in the world of film and television production, Digi must have provided a way to write to exact frame locations.

Anyone have any other process to accomplish this?? Please help, I'm getting desperate!!!
Old 11-09-2002, 11:11 PM

Here is a workaround for the situation you described.
  • Create a tempo marker at bar 1 beat 1 of 120 BPM.
  • Set the session start time to 01:00:00:00. (choose to "maintain relative position" if necessary.)
  • create a midi track and drop one note on bar 1 beat 1, just for reference.
  • Now set the session start time to 00:45:00:00. When the dialogue pops up choose "time code" and NOT relative.

Now that midi note will be on the downbeat of bar 451.
  • Under the MIDI menu, choose renumber bars. Renumber so that bar 451 becomes bar 1.
Viola, you have the downbeat of bar 1 beat one on 01:00:00:00, with exactly 15 minutes of pre-roll.

Is it elegant? Not really. Do we want ProTools to turn into Digital Performer? Definately not. So we make do and pray that Digi continues to develop the midi side of things with steady and deliberate planning...

Last edited by JFreak; 12-17-2014 at 09:38 PM. Reason: fixed the list
Old 12-17-2014, 12:28 PM

While this reply is now 2014, the issue serached for by users may still apply. In Pro Tools 9MP I went to EVENT>Renumber Bars.
Done!