Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 05-17-2013, 11:59 PM

Default Re: Revised Pricing for CPTK to PT HD Upgrades

Honestly this is a pretty big slap in the face to CPTK owners. Yeah, it's great that Avid has even responded to our concerns but this $400 price reduction to get us on a higher-priced upgrade path is no consolation. It is truly bizarre that a company would sell something that unlocks features and then just simply close that option off between versions. This is their attempt to reel people into HD hardware because computers are now powerful enough that many of us don't need AVID cards. I am extremely disappointed.

Mac Pro 2008 (Harpertown) -- OS X 10.8.2 -- 16GB RAM -- WD Black Drives -- UA Apollo Quad -- Pro Tools 10 w/ CPTK
Old 05-18-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioBlue View Post
So, in effect, the only way for us PT10 "vanilla" users without CPTK moving to PT11 HD of any kind is to purchase Avid hardware. Therefore, moving forward, only PT "vanilla" will be the only truly native, non-avid hardware dependent version. Serious, serious bummer.

I finally had enough business coming in to justify spending $2k on CPTK, but was told I should just wait until PT11 launched, pay my "vanilla" upgrade fee and then purchase CPTK. Well a fine suggestion that was now wasn't it!?!? I can't even get CPTK now and 11 isn't even released yet so now I'm doubly screwed.

I've been following the original thread, and I can say I'm really happy for the current CPTK owners getting the consideration this announcement has brought. However, as a small room owner making every attempt to build his business I'm back to square one. I have visiting engineers/mixers that have been requesting surround and/or VCA's. unless someone here can guide me to an available CPTK for sale, I just lost a ton of business it took me so long to build up.

There aren't words to describe how disgusted I am right now...with myself,mostly, for waiting to purchase CPTK when I had the chance, but with the decision on Avid's part as well. Shops like mine must really be in the minority I guess. As was stated by a few in the original thread, I don't have to purchase PT if it doesn't supply the feature set I require. But it did and I REALLY want to use it but I cannot afford Avid hardware nor do I require Avid hardware. Yet, to keep my newer customers, I'll be forced to...not really a gun to my head, but in my financial situation, it might as well be. Talk about "love/hate".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I will sell my CPTK to you right now for those $2k.

Latest (subscription) Pro Tools Ultimate on Windows 10 Pro x64
Mbox 3 Pro + Eleven Rack (ERXP)
Asus Prime 299X Deluxe
Intel Core i9-7940X 4.3 Ghz (14 cores / 28 threads)
Ram 8 x 16GB each (128 GB total) Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 3400 MHz
Dual Samsung 970 Pro M.2 1TB (OS and WIP)
2 x Seagate Barracuda Pro 10TB mirrored for archive and backup
Asus/Nvidia GTX 1080 TI with a single 4K monitor Dell P2715Q
Old 05-18-2013, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derJ View Post
@Tony Cariddi
So my main question is (like asked many times before):
What about students/schools with CPTK?
Could somebody from Avid please comment on that? Thanks! I bought PT 10 student + CPTK because I assumed that this substantial investment would keep me up to date for the next 4 years.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:44 AM

I do not understand why so many people fall for this ploy to to just dig deeper into our pockets. I have been a HD user for years and also a LE user. I never could understand why Digidesign/Avid took away so many functions in LE software, other than to make those who spent much more money on their products to feel like they had more for their money and make LE/002, 003, Mbox, etc... feel like they had to spend more money if they wanted to be like the big boys. I feel like this type of marketing is simply ridiculous. If Avid can allow Mbox/002, 003 users to buy the CPTK to give features that HD user have, but charge a LOW $2000 for it, REALLY...

Why couldn't they included these features in the software to begin with, that comes stock with whatever system you buy? I will tell you why, because we allow them to do this to us. It couldn't take much effort on their (Avid) part to have all of their softwares to have these functions. We simply bite on whatever they tell us, even though the pricing structure is totally ridiculous ($2000 or even $599 upgrade for those who have already been bitten) it's like gas prices and cell phones, if we will go along with their plan and pay whatever they tell us to pay, they will keep doing it.
The Shepard leads the sheep.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
@Tom Graham,

The question that was asked, that a lot of people have expressed interest in, is that there are people with the CPTK, that instead of simply upgrading to the HD11 software only, would like to actually upgrade to HD Native or HDX systems.

They would like to see some kind of upgrade offer for them, having spent money on the CPTK license. Basically some kind of discount on an HD Native or HDX system because they have the CPTK. They could surrender the CPTK to get this. Also, ideally, they could combine this with other trade up offers like the 00x to HD Native, etc.
+1 as well.

Regardless, thanks for listening!!
Old 05-18-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttraxx View Post
I do not understand
Clearly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttraxx View Post
why so many people fall for this ploy to to just dig deeper into our pockets.

I have been a HD user for years and also a LE user. I never could understand why Digidesign/Avid took away so many functions in LE software, other than to make those who spent much more money on their products to feel like they had more for their money and make LE/002, 003, Mbox, etc... feel like they had to spend more money if they wanted to be like the big boys.
Developing software like ProTools and running a company like Avid cost millions of dollars per year. Only people who don't understand this and how business work complain about something as natural as this.

You are getting it backwards. It's not that they overcharge HD users or that they don't give small users what they could just because they want to fool them later.

The cost of making ProTools would mean a much, much higher cost to HD users if they could not offer a smaller deal to smaller users. Just like with RTAS and TDM plugins, they are offering a chance to small users to have something while those small users help the big ones reduce costs.

What is ridiculous is the idea of wanting a software developer (make it an individual or a big company) continue to work on a project without continue to receive much more money for the efforts. Avid makes software and spend millions on research and development. They need to charge good amounts every time they release something new. And they need to distribute those costs in the best way possible between small users, medium users and pro users.

If you had a client in your studio who pays you a big amount for recording an album during one month, would you offer him to rework on his material for a very low cost every time he wants to remix everything over the years, even if that takes you a month or more of your time every time he needs a remix? Would you say he is right by getting angry at you because you "take every chance to charge him a good amount again, when he already gave you a lot of money"?

Asus Prime 299X Deluxe
Old 05-18-2013, 09:52 AM

Hello,
Thank you for listening to your customers and making the CPTK upgrade price match the HD upgrade price, we will upgrade our systems appropriately.

With PT11 only using AAX and no TDM, many folks will have both 10 and 11 loaded. Does the CPTK surrender for HD11 mean we can or cannot use 10 with the CPTK (or HD) features? I have not found an answer in the threads yet.

Sincerely,
Hugh
Old 05-18-2013, 10:20 AM

Hugh, actually this question has been answered a few times, but you may have missed it with all the hoopla going on.

When you surrender your CPTK license, you will get a bundled license of HD11, and HD10. Whenever you are using PT10, the HD10 license will unlock all the extra features in 10, just like the CPTK license did.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarabozo View Post
Clearly.

Developing software like ProTools and running a company like Avid cost millions of dollars per year. Only people who don't understand this and how business work complain about something as natural as this.

You are getting it backwards. It's not that they overcharge HD users or that they don't give small users what they could just because they want to fool them later.

The cost of making ProTools would mean a much, much higher cost to HD users if they could not offer a smaller deal to smaller users. Just like with RTAS and TDM plugins, they are offering a chance to small users to have something while those small users help the big ones reduce costs.

What is ridiculous is the idea of wanting a software developer (make it an individual or a big company) continue to work on a project without continue to receive much more money for the efforts. Avid makes software and spend millions on research and development. They need to charge good amounts every time they release something new. And they need to distribute those costs in the best way possible between small users, medium users and pro users.

If you had a client in your studio who pays you a big amount for recording an album during one month, would you offer him to rework on his material for a very low cost every time he wants to remix everything over the years, even if that takes you a month or more of your time every time he needs a remix? Would you say he is right by getting angry at you because you "take every chance to charge him a good amount again, when he already gave you a lot of money"?
Who tell You "Developing software cost millions per year" that is maybe joke.

Developing new at the beginning software per couple of years maybe cost.

But why Avid upgrade cost is 3 or more taller than other companies DAW.

Don't write rubbish.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misioka View Post
Who tell You "Developing software cost millions per year" that is maybe joke.

Developing new at the beginning software per couple of years maybe cost.

But why Avid upgrade cost is 3 or more taller than other companies DAW.

Don't write rubbish.
Nobody "told me", I know it for a fact. I'm a professional software engineer myself and I have worked for many giants of the industry. I'm not writing "rubbish".

You are VERY mistaken if you think the major cost of keeping a leading software is the very start. It's all the other way around. Most projects start with a single developer or an extremely small team. By the time the project is big in the industry, there are hundreds and even thousands of employees working for the same project - some are software developers, others are people in all kind of areas that a big company needs. Just the cost of salaries is huge, not to mention company's expenses, facilities, marketing, PR, and many, many things more, like research and manufacture of hardware, like in the case of Avid.

Just the average salary of a senior software engineer is 100k/year, more one with very specific knowledge of a N/D contract. Put together a small team of 10 and you already need to pay 1 million per year. And, my friend, they don't reduce their salaries just because they are working on an upgrade and not on a new project.

Developing Pro Tools (and all other software that Avid owns) at this point, I can tell you, costs millions per year.

And by the way, Pro Tools 11: not an upgrade. It's an entirely new project.

Francisco

Asus Prime 299X Deluxe

Last edited by Zarabozo; 05-18-2013 at 11:26 AM.