Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2017, 03:31 PM

Default Few questions before installing Pro Tools

Hello everyone,

First post here.

- Bought pro tools 12 perpetual and have few questions before installing please:
- With a year upgrade, I assume if version 13 is released within that year, I’ll be eligible to upgrade to that version?
- Is there a limit to how long I can wait before I install version 12? Currently I'm using a different program, but would like to dive into Pro Tools at some point. That being said, I don;t mind waiting a bit before installing it.
- I assume I can install it on several computers, combination of windows and mac, and not limited in anyway, as long as I have the iLok with me?

Thank,

Doron
Old 12-06-2017, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Few questions before installing Pro Tools

AFAIK, yes, you get a full year of updates.

While I would NEVER install any update the moment its released(always good to let others try and see what the reports are), I WOULD(and do) download EVERY update as soon as its released(notice I said "download" but not "install"? More on that in a minute). The reason to download every update is because sometimes, subsequent releases can make grabbing older versions tough(often, they will only show the latest version in your downloads cue). As for installing updates, USUALLY you will need to uninstall what you have before you install the next version(newer or older). Because of this, and because sometimes updates screw up(or sometimes, WE screw things up) I highly recommend a good backup plan. Mine is to have 2 system drives. 1 has the current version of PT and the other is a clone but has the previous version that worked well(no point in backing up something that doesn't work well). The second-level backup plan is to save a drive image of your system drive BEFORE installing ANY update(that includes Pro Tools, OS and any serious software). If an update hoses your system, you restore from the last image(or swap out the previous system drive) and go back to work

Last 2 cents on updates, NEVER update in the middle of a project(unless you have a foolproof backup plan)

As for installing PT on many machines, yes, install on as many as you like and connect your iLok to the machine you need

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-07-2017, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post

While I would NEVER install any update the moment its released(always good to let others try and see what the reports are), I WOULD(and do) download EVERY update as soon as its released(notice I said "download" but not "install"? More on that in a minute). The reason to download every update is because sometimes, subsequent releases can make grabbing older versions tough(often, they will only show the latest version in your downloads cue). As for installing updates, USUALLY you will need to uninstall what you have before you install the next version(newer or older). Because of this, and because sometimes updates screw up(or sometimes, WE screw things up) I highly recommend a good backup plan. Mine is to have 2 system drives. 1 has the current version of PT and the other is a clone but has the previous version that worked well(no point in backing up something that doesn't work well). The second-level backup plan is to save a drive image of your system drive BEFORE installing ANY update(that includes Pro Tools, OS and any serious software). If an update hoses your system, you restore from the last image(or swap out the previous system drive) and go back to work

Last 2 cents on updates, NEVER update in the middle of a project(unless you have a foolproof backup plan)

As for installing PT on many machines, yes, install on as many as you like and connect your iLok to the machine you need
Question: does that year of updates include whole number updates or not (that's what the OP is asking about)? Near as I remember we've always had to pay for whole number updates.

Second thing: images or clones are a good thing BUT don't have that clone or backup connected and powered up all the time. A clone can save in another way if the computer hardware goes south and you have to replace a system drive.

QAPLA!
Old 12-07-2017, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post

Thank you.

Doron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Question: does that year of updates include whole number updates or not (that's what the OP is asking about)? Near as I remember we've always had to pay for whole number updates. Great question and I would ask a large dealer like Sweetwater or Dale Pro Audio

Second thing: images or clones are a good thing BUT don't have that clone or backup connected and powered up all the time. A clone can save in another way if the computer hardware goes south and you have to replace a system drive.
Good point(and why I use large capacity external drives for imaging, that only get connected and powered when they need to be)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave