Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2015, 09:44 AM

Default Re: quickkeys guru? selecting tools?

I have the function keys for switching tools mapped to the top left and right buttons on a Kensington trackball for dialogue editing. Works great for me.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonis View Post
Out of curiosity, why are you disregarding Batch Commander? There might be a button for it, plus there an iPad app for it as well. Could work or drop them an email to ask whether BC can do what you are asking for.
well I might but will look at porting when I get to the end of my first SFX draft.. reprogramming the buttons is a bit of slowdown..

working with DP for an animation series I am doing ( 52 episodes of robot wars ) started historically before using PT for the last 3 or 4 features ..

actually it bounces out faster than realtime and its less head scratching for routing... ( probably still realtime after doing 5 splits -)

quite like the mixing functionality of it also,,, very sensible channel strip and snapshot features... editing is a different concept to protools i *LOVE* the non destructive layers.. but protools does edit slightly nicer overall.

so I want cross platform.. might wanna do some buttons for when I mess around in photoshop / fcp etc etc
Old 10-28-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinato View Post
I have the function keys for switching tools mapped to the top left and right buttons on a Kensington trackball for dialogue editing. Works great for me.
I was using trackball a few years back - but was getting RSI - so I switched to the wacom tab,, I've never really got into the buttons... did attempt - but find it slows me down.. want to keep pen in hand - and left hand on 'keyboard'

TBH I still yearn for the MFX in some ways - so quite excited about TouchOSC finally allowing me to put what buttons I want exactly where I want them...

just struggling to get it fire macros on quick keys... will try meastro see it that solves it...

its really great being able to selct tracks - and move insert about whilst in Audiofinder instead of switchin back and forth all the time!
Old 10-28-2015, 08:38 PM

Demo batch commander before purchase - I just did b/c I thought it would save keystrokes- I've kind of left with a meh feeling .

Trying to understand new software in the middle of something does indeed slow down everything
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieffe View Post
You can try something like what I did in the screenshot attached. That's the only rule I used.

It seems to work fine, but I don't really use it daily, so you have to try it and see if it's reliable enough (and create the other shortcuts as needed).

Let me know if it works for you.

Cheers

Davide

thats interesting davide - i looked at the concept - but seemed too complicated in this instance? I did mine as 'relative to mousE - and its not possible to do a release location? since I need to 'guide' mouse thru 2 'right' arrows

i.e you need to right click - then open up 2 seperate pullouts.. actually you can use some keystrokes to do this- works when done by hand but fails as a macro...
Old 10-30-2015, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fork-media View Post
thats interesting davide - i looked at the concept - but seemed too complicated in this instance? I did mine as 'relative to mousE - and its not possible to do a release location? since I need to 'guide' mouse thru 2 'right' arrows

i.e you need to right click - then open up 2 seperate pullouts.. actually you can use some keystrokes to do this- works when done by hand but fails as a macro...

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I didn't right click to have the pull down menu and then select the tool.

I used Quickeys to tell the mouse to click on the actual button tool, then realise at the correct location, and then put the cursor back at it's original position.

it seems to work, but you have to test it (and create the shortcuts for the other tools selection)
Old 10-30-2015, 02:36 PM

I have a very simple way I do this with Keyboard Maestro. I leave the Tool Lock always on (so I can't accidentally choose the Loop Trimmer) and I use Cmd+2 (trimmer) or Cmd+4 (grabber) and they are locked to my preferred defaults. However, when I want to actually use the TCE Trimmer, I have the following KM shortcut:

Hot Key: Cmd+Opt+2
- Menu Item toggle Tool lock
- type keystroke Cmd+2
- Menu Item toggle Tool lock

It's super fast and allows me to manually (and quickly) cycle through the special tools. I have the same setup for Cmd+4 (grabber).

As a side note, not being a Smart Tool guy, I always used to use the F7, F8, etc keys to switch tools. A few years ago I learned about Cmd+1 (Zoom), Cmd+2 (Trimmer), etc and it was a total game changer once I got the hang of it. So much more efficient because my left hand is already there for the A, S, D, F, G shortcuts.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starcrash View Post
A few years ago I learned about Cmd+1 (Zoom), Cmd+2 (Trimmer), etc and it was a total game changer once I got the hang of it. So much more efficient because my left hand is already there for the A, S, D, F, G shortcuts.
nice I will have a try with this.... CMD +2 ect.

You worked on Jurassic World? Nice

Old 10-30-2015, 11:41 PM

i was wondering about trying not to be a smart tool guy myself.. (didnt know about tool locking TBH - will search the PT ref guide thanks )

mainly cos touchOSC has a prob with control acting correctly for scrubbing..

maybe F9 is the answer. prob less stress on finger than holding down CTRL for ever.

I just burnt thru r3 in a day so only 3 more reels to go and I will maybe try keyboard maestro end of next week if I am lucky..

be able to have all the commands I want in easy reach and never have to do a 3 finger keystroke again! as well as being able to work standing if I feel like it.

might take some time to get the ergonomics perfect for me ... but optimistic!

thanks for help!
Old 11-14-2015, 09:02 PM

KEYBOARD MAESTRO IS AMAZING I LOVE IT......

so simple and so effective