Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-14-2018, 06:50 AM

Default Whats the difference between 'aux' mono->5.1 and just 'aux' 5.1

I'm just tweaking my template and wondering, for mono dx I'm setting up 5.1 reverbs I have the option to either setup:

1. mono aux tracks with reverb plugins that expand the aux track mono->5.1
2. 5.1 aux tracks with normal 5.1 reverb on them

Is there any advantages or disadvantages to either of these setups, or are they exactly the same?
Old 11-14-2018, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Whats the difference between 'aux' mono->5.1 and just 'aux' 5.1

Woah! Hold on there and do some listening. True multichannel reverbs will consider where in the 5.1 space the dry sound is originating and locate it accordingly. If you go mono into a 5.1 reverb, the reverb has no way of knowing where that dry sound might already be panned. You could end up with an omni wet mess.

But doing dialog there are other considerations. I find mono>mono reverbs useful for ADR matching.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:14 PM

So if you create a mono aux track and then put a reverb on it capable of doing 5.1, it will give you the option you are seeing - mono>5.1 (There's probably also a mono>5.1, mono>LCR, etc. if the reverb is capable of it).

The thing is, the signal feeding this tack/buss is only mono and the reverb will basically treat the source as though it is panned center.

If you set up the aux track as a 5.1 aux track, you can then pan the source signal on the send (or you can have Follow Main Pan on) and the signal feeding the reverb can have a different spatial image. You are no longer limited ot the source being paned center.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:25 AM
The Cargo Cult

So, while it's true that the 5.1->5.1 option should provide a reverb with greater fidelity or accuracy, in practice very few reverbs follow input pan position in that way.

Exponential ones do so for the early reflections and a couple of others do it to some extent, but it's not a particularly obvious effect.

The big downside is that you can only feed a 5.1 bus with mono, stereo or 5.1.
Your quad and 7.1 tracks will never feed that bus.
The beauty of mono feed is that any track format can send to it - it's a special case in the PT bus architecture.

So for me, the advantages of mono effect sends often outweigh the disadvantages.

And with Slapper, we mono the input signal before generating the 8 delays, so there's never really an advantage to multi-input, unless you're inserting inline on a track and playing with the wet/dry mix.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:49 PM

If you have a mono or stereo source, you can make or add a 5.1 reverb room with this to the source, like with Waves 5.1 Bundle and Exponential Audio.
This is very good for me and you have enough parameters to edit,panning from the dry signal etc.So you can make a good surround mix from several recording tracks/steems.

With a real 5.1 source of send to this reverbs, the plugins work a little other, you can use this like with a finished 5.1 track to add a light 5.1 room to the final mix etc. but you have not all parameter to edit like in a mono to 5.1.

Its difficult for me to explain that all in english!
Old 12-19-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cargo Cult View Post
So, while it's true that the 5.1->5.1 option should provide a reverb with greater fidelity or accuracy, in practice very few reverbs follow input pan position in that way.
....I wish more did... (Indoor does... and it's amazing...)

I A/B'd a lot of verbs sending Mono and Sending 5.1 a while ago and was quite disappointed in the result. A lot of "big mono"...

Before Indoor I ended up doing a lot of 5.0 Multi-mono reverbs instead of Multichannel 5.0 to try to get more accurate panning, (and/or avoid panning a mono return every time I panned something) Works well for Dialogue and Foley