Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2011, 09:10 AM

Default Slate Trigger sample explanation please!

Hi just invested in trigger and its amazing.

just wondered with the samples (eg paramore kit) are these with reverb on or just the sounds pick up by individual mics

would anyone recommend putting effects on these samples.

The reason i ask i have a band that have asked me for their drums to sound like paramores so i was going to just use these samples

Hope ive made sense

thanks

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 02-08-2011, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Slate Trigger sample explanation please!

Most of the Slate samples are already processed with certain effects. They are designed to (supposedly) already sound good in your mix just the way they are.

However, that doesn't mean you can't try to add some processing of your own if you think it sounds good.

Also, you might find that the ones that are named to sound like a certain band (like the Paramore kit), may or may not sound like that band. You might experiment with some of the other kits and it may end up sounding like what you're looking for.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Most of the Slate samples are already processed with certain effects. They are designed to (supposedly) already sound good in your mix just the way they are.

However, that doesn't mean you can't try to add some processing of your own if you think it sounds good.

Also, you might find that the ones that are named to sound like a certain band (like the Paramore kit), may or may not sound like that band. You might experiment with some of the other kits and it may end up sounding like what you're looking for.
Hi cheers nst7

thanks for the reply

Why did they call them after certain bands, if they dont sound like that band, that seems abit strange to me

cheers

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 02-08-2011, 07:00 PM

Talking Re: Slate Trigger sample explanation please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
Why did they call them after certain bands, if they dont sound like that band, that seems abit strange to me
I'm guessing they probably sound 'close' to a certain band when they are heard in the professional environment they are created in. As I'm sure you are aware, every different room has it's own different sound and those differences are accentuated when using reference monitors as opposed to Hi Fi stereo systems.

As nst7 says, try messin around with different settings and/or effects and experiment. But most importantly...have fun doin it
Old 02-08-2011, 08:02 PM

I think to Steven Slate, these might sound close to the bands he mentioned, but in my opinion, some of them are not that close. This is not a slam against the product. It's just that everyone perceives things differently. I was just emphasizing to experiment, and not worry about what the kits are called. Just try different ones and see what sounds good.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:16 PM

From my reckoning I think these only have compression and eq processing done to them only. I can't hear any reverb. Generally speaking mixing in the room mics used to record each sample adds a bit of reverb, but the close mic'ed ones doesn't have any.

In saying this just because they are processed already doesn't mean you can't do whatever you think sounds good to them.

I'll use reverb and send the whole kit through it at different send levels to try and meld it all together and give the listener a sense of the drums being played in a single room.
- Yamaha HS80M
- Axiom Pro 49
- 500GB Sarotech Hardbox external HDD plugged through express card, FW800
- Waves Gold bundle, L3-16, Eddie Kramer
- 2 x Coles 4038, Royer 121, 2 x Shinybox MXL, 4 x SM57, 3 x SM58, AKG D112, SM81, Shure 16A, sE 2000, 3 x Audix D2
Old 02-09-2011, 02:02 AM

Thanks guys for all ya info ill do alot more messing around with it, but i must say its an amazing plug in.

Cheers

Old 02-09-2011, 09:24 AM

Here's the explanation of his library labels, hope it helps ya:

TRIGGER comes stock with a library of the industry standard STEVEN SLATE 3.5 drum samples. These samples were recorded to 2 inch analog tape, and were processed with the finest analog gear in order to sound polished and ready for the mix with little to no need for extra processing. The STEVEN SLATE library has several types of TRIGGER instruments.

Z1 - The Z1 mono samples are the most commonly used default sample. They have just the right amount of overhead micing combined with close micing, which gives them a three dimensional, full, and punchy sound. The Z1s have air, depth, dimensionality, and impact making them a great all around place to start when using the STEVEN SLATE DRUMS.

Z2 - The Z2 mono snare samples are similar to the Z1 snare samples, however they have been further processed with a smooth compression to lessen the attack and enhance the decay. This will make them “sit” very well in a mix with even less need for further processing.

Z3 - The Z3 samples are only printed with the very closest mics. They are very dry and do not have air but are processed to retain the punch of the Z1. Common uses for the Z3 are when mixing in with real drums, or to use for ultra dry drum mixes in certain music genres such as heavy metal.

SSDR - The SSDR samples are stereo, real room ambient mic’d samples, recorded in a large concrete warehouse. They are processed heavily with compression, EQ, and even modulation. When mixed in with the Z1 samples, the mixer can adjust the amount of stereo room sound in the drum mix. Listening to the SSDR samples soloed may sound strange, but combining them with their corresponding Z1 samples in a mix should present the listener with a very rich, deep, and natural sound.

NRG - The NRG samples are a set of ambient mics from the famous NRG Recording Studio A room. This room is big and open sounding with great depth and detail. The NRG samples are completely unprocessed allowing the user to compress, EQ, or leave them untouched.

I love trigger it is by far one of my favorite plug ins to date.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:13 AM

i'm having trouble getting the samples to trigger correctly. it's either too much, or not enough, and i'm only moving it a c*nt hair. i recorded kick thru my dm5 & everything is accurate. any suggestions?