Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 09-27-2019, 04:47 AM

Default Bounced files play fast

Hey Folks,
I've recently upgraded to pt12 on pc. When I try and bounce my mixes to a stereo file after recording in 24bt 48k, my bounced files play back slightly fast.
On my old system I use to just set the bounce menu to 16bt 44.1khz and never had a problem.
I'm totally baffled.. It must be something simple.. HELP!!
THANKS 😁🎵
Old 09-27-2019, 07:24 AM

Default Re: Bounced files play fast

Hi welcome to DUC.

Well the file is either bouncing at a lower clock rate than you think it is or playing back at a higher clock rate than the content in the file. There is nothing else that could be happening. You gave no useful information about exactly how you are Playing this audio back. If you are playing back by opening the bounce in the same session, and it’s at 48 kHz, and you bounced at 44.1 kHz, well then it is doing exactly what you should expect.

What exactly are you trying to do?/why?. Play the file back in a session at the correct clock rate, use another player, or import with SRC, or bounce at 48kHz.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:29 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I am trying to bounce the mix so I can add it to a CD.
On my last system, pt8. When I'd mixed things, I used to click the bounce to disc enter the 16bt 44.1khz and render in real time. I then just popped a disc in the drive and burnt it.
The new rig, following the same idea makes them play quicker on windows media player.
I presume I can't burn 24bt 48k to an audio cd.
Should I just record at 16bt 44.1khz?
🤔🤔🤔🎵🎤🎸
Old 09-27-2019, 03:37 PM

You can work however you want and bounce at 44.1 kHz. But it sounds like you are importing that into a session running at 48kHz.

Just create a new session at 44.1 kHz and import your bounced files into that... [edit] sounds like Windows media player just had the wrong sample rate, what exact format are you bouncing to? Just check it in a ProTools session to be sure.

You cannot put 48kHz into a redbook Audio CD but authoring software like Toast will do sample rate conversion for you. I would always want to do any sample rate/depth conversion myself in Pro Tools.

If you mean just put audio files as data on a CD-ROM as data... they can be any sample rate... but I assume you meant a red book CD.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:57 PM

More info might turn up better advice. What interface and is there anything connected via digital(lightpipe, SPDIF, AES....)? It sounds(by your description) that your session is set for 48K but is being clocked at 44.1(why I ask about all hardware)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-28-2019, 03:36 AM

Hey thanks for all the help so far😁
I'm using apollo x16 interface. The clock is set to 48k same as my sessions. So basi ally I just bounce at 48k then open another session at 44.1 and import the bounced 48k stereo file into it. Then bou ce that new session and that bounce will burn and play on a standard cd player?
Old 09-28-2019, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craggstar View Post
Hey thanks for all the help so far😁
I'm using apollo x16 interface. The clock is set to 48k same as my sessions. So basically I just bounce at 48k then open another session at 44.1 and import the bounced 48k stereo file into it. Then bounce that new session and that bounce will burn and play on a standard cd player?
What program are you using to burn your cd? The aforementioned Toast is but one, Steinberg Wavelab Elements is another and they'll take care of bit depth and sample rate conversion for you.

I'm a little confused by your workflow. Are you bouncing a finished session and importing into another session and why? If you're trying to sequence a number of songs into a cd you're better off going to a separate program like the two just mentioned. That way you don't have to worry about setting track markers as importing a bunch of songs into a regular cd burning/mastering program will automatically set Red Book standard 2 sec intervals (or whatever interval you want).

QAPLA!
Old 09-28-2019, 04:19 AM

So, just export at 48k then import that into sound forge and that will alter everything for CD?
Old 09-28-2019, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craggstar View Post
So, just export at 48k then import that into sound forge and that will alter everything for CD?
Haven't used Sound Forge in years and even then I used CD Architect for CD burning. SF's cd burning capabilities are rudimentary at best. Why not just export at 16 bit 44.1 KHz? Or just do all your audio work at 44.1? Unless you're doing video work there's no need for 48 KHz.

QAPLA!
Old 09-28-2019, 04:47 AM

I think that's what I need to do. I did a voice job at 48k. Goes back to my original problem of when I bounced them they played fast. I'll just stick with 44.1 from now on.
😁👍🏻